Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Ugh. Next you'll tell us the cafeteria won't be serving chanko. 

• Haha 3

On 02/03/2020 at 19:42, WAKATAKE said:

Any rikishi who is not feeling well and thinks they have caught something is to immediately go kyujo, no doctor's note will be required this basho.

I wonder if a germophobic rikishi who does not want to compete will merely say that he isn't feeling well despite having no temperature and will go kyujo, if given the assurance that he will not lose his rank in the following basho. Since no doctor's note will be needed and since the NSK is using the greatest amount of caution possible, this could be a very easy way to avoid competition while maintaining his rank. 

• Thanks 1

If this had been one of the Tokyo bashos then they most certainly would have cancelled it. But I think they figured that because they had invested the time into the hotels and travel, that they might as well get their money's worth out of it. Timing was really off I believe.

16 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Ugh. Next you'll tell us the cafeteria won't be serving chanko. 

No food on sale, I am told. Because of the virus. It could be very dangerous. Even sandwiches are banned, unless they are kosher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

No food on sale, I am told. Because of the virus. It could be very dangerous. Even sandwiches are banned, unless they are kosher.

kosher… or kosho? (Thinkingindepth...)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

More kyokai decisions:

• Arriving at the venue-only by taxi or car-no public transport allowed. If stuck in a traffic jam, call your Ichimon wakaimonogashira and it will be dealt with. The Kyokai will pay for everything.
  • After entering the venue, no dilly-dallying on the way back-straight to the heya. No outside ventures allowed. Not even for food or shopping. Buy your food in advance.
  • No outside food allowed at the venue-no catering, no contact with outsiders at the venue. Outside provisions allowed at the heyas as usual.
  • Temperatures will be taken twice a day, morning and evening. This includes media people who enter the hall as well.
  • No masks for dohyo area people-rikishi, shinpan, yobidashi, gyoji. In the shitakubeya - allowed.
  • Two companies have hurriedly added kenshos as their numbers have sharply dropped.
Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Health risks in spotlight as Spring Basho nears start

The Japan Sumo Association is proceeding with the upcoming Spring Grand Sumo Tournament, but has decided, in light of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, that it will be held behind closed doors.

Calling off the event completely would undoubtedly have been a safer course of action, but as hundreds of wrestlers, stablemasters, referees, hairdressers and other sumo personnel were already in the Kansai region; and with television income being such a vital part of the JSA’s finances, it’s not difficult to see why it chose the current course of action.

Closed doors or not, there are still risks involved of course...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/03/05/sumo/health-risks-spotlight-spring-basho-nears-start/

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now, it's kyujo if you have a fever over 37.5 on two consecutive days. It was determined by experts that one day of low fever can be attributed to many reasons and can see mass kyujos by rikishi not necessarily stricken by the pandemical epidemic.. Some even suggested 4 straight days of fever, but they settled on 2 in the end, as has been suggested for baseball and football.. 2 days of extreme coughing and extreme fatigue should also result in a kyujo. Even one case of the virus will result in a total abandonment of the basho. As for treatment of the records achieved up to that point, there is no decision yet.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rikishi will be allowed to bring their cellphones to the shitakubeya, something that has been prohibited since the yaocho scandal of 2011. As for how to deal with the records in case the basho is abandoned mid-way, Shibatayama Oyakata has stated that the decision will be made when the basho will end with the oyakatas debating about the next banzuke.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The rikishi will be allowed to bring their cellphones to the shitakubeya, something that has been prohibited since the yaocho scandal of 2011. As for how to deal with the records in case the basho is abandoned mid-way, Shibatayama Oyakata has stated that the decision will be made when the basho will end with the oyakatas debating about the next banzuke.

If the basho cancellation comes after an odd number of days, rikishi (sekitori at least) will have a mini kachikoshi or makekoshi which makes it easier, but then if it’s anything less than, say, five it’s not really enough data to work with. Imagine a cancellation after shonichi when (theoretically) 21 of 42 Makuuchi rikishi are tied for the lead in the yusho race by default! What I expect is that they’ll agree that a minimum number of days must be completed. If not, they will carry the current banzuke over to May. If they get that far, they will make a new banzuke. After all, they used to have basho with only 9 or 10 days and the lower divisions always get worked out with only 7 so there’s plenty of precedent for banzuke making with fewer torikumi. 

Makushita and below is more complicated though as they stagger their bouts so not everyone will have competed the same amount. Perhaps they will treat them differently and separately to sekitori. That could mean Makushita guys missing out Juryo promotions but bad banzuke luck happens and at least this time there’s a justifiable reason for it. Besides, if the basho is cancelled half-way and Makushita only have three bouts completed, that’s not really enough to promote someone with anyway.

Edited by Eikokurai

I highly doubt that they will cancel the basho in mid-stream.  Rikishi may go kyujo but they will simply not test anyone until the basho is over.   That's my uneducated conclusion.  

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

If not, they will carry the current banzuke over to May.

Wouldn't they have to make some adjustments to allow for retirements?

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Wouldn't they have to make some adjustments to allow for retirements?

True. Those are probably fairly easy to accommodate when you don’t have all the other arithmetic to do.

Posted (edited)

The Kyokai has prepared 3000 masks and 350 anti-infection sprays. Also, the executive member Oyakatas* of the Kyokai will be allowed to sit in the bleachers during bouts to motivate the rikishi, who will probably be pretty nervous The media people will be asked to take their temperature as well and sit at least with two seats between them and one empty row between them.

* Add the oyakata who usually take your tickets at the venue entrance to that list.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I highly doubt that they will cancel the basho in mid-stream.  Rikishi may go kyujo but they will simply not test anyone until the basho is over.   That's my uneducated conclusion.  

Oh, they will.

10 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Imagine a cancellation after shonichi when (theoretically) 21 of 42 Makuuchi rikishi are tied for the lead in the yusho race by default!

Royal Rumble, but opposed to WWE with all at once in the ring?

Give Asanoyama the deserved promotion and take only this and the recent intais into account for the bext banzuke.

Posted (edited)

No kyujo so far in today's torikumi. I hope this be sustained for the next 12 days.

Edited by robnplunder

5 hours ago, specialweek 2 said:

Tatsunami 18yr Taranami recorded 40 degree temp. Tested for flu, negative. Will rest and watch symptoms. 

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

No kyujo so far in today's torikumi. I hope this be sustained for the next 12 days.

Now... I'm a little confused... Which one is it? Forced kyujo or fake news? :D 

Tatsunami's kyujo was yesterday, on day 2.   On day 3, there were no kyujos the last time I've checked.

10 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

From the article:

“‘Long ago it was believed that when rikishi performed the traditional shiko before a basho, they had the power to crush evil spirits into the sand of the dohyo under their feet.’  So began Sunday’s greeting speech of current Sumo Association chairman Nobuyoshi Hakkaku [formerly Yokozuna Hokutoumi] – which brings to a reader’s mind the long historical relationship between Sumo rikishi and infectious diseases.

I think we can now say, with a reasonable degree of certainty, that disease is not caused by evil spirits.