Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Man, some of the face slaps are going to echo like crazy.

It was announced that the sumo museum in the Kokugikan will be closed from today through the 23rd.

New strategies for Haru:

Three tests daily and an average over 37.5 C is an auto-kyujo:

So a total of 74 or higher in your last two tests puts you on a kyujo run, much like Ozeki runs requiring 33 wins in three basho.

Will rikishi on a kyujo run spend time between tests in the freezer, trying to cool off?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
On 29/02/2020 at 06:15, sekitori said:

I dislike the idea of a basho held with no audience at all. As I mentioned before, a sport or any other entertainment activity with absolutely no crowd reaction detracts greatly from the pleasure it should bring. On a scale of 1 to 10, the level of enjoyment that a closed door basho will bring is close to a zero. I hope the NSK chooses to do the proper thing and cancel it.

As much of a problem that the cancellation of the Haru basho and the subsequent jungyo will be for the NSK, it's the best possible solution in a crisis like this one. In fact, it's really the only one that makes any sense.  If for some reason they decide to hold the Haru basho behind closed doors, I will do my best to ignore it. Coming from a diehard sumo fan, that's saying a lot. 

In European football, particularly in the east, southeast and the UK you have so-called "ghost matches" on a semi-regular basis. Usually as a reaction of the governing body to violent behavior of a club´s "fans" in previous games, but sometimes to deprive them of all revenue as punishment for other offenses.

Edited by Gospodin
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

New strategies for Haru:

Three tests daily and an average over 37.5 C is an auto-kyujo:

So a total of 74 or higher in your last two tests puts you on a kyujo run, much like Ozeki runs requiring 33 wins in three basho.

Will rikishi on a kyujo run spend time between tests in the freezer, trying to cool off?

Elsewhere they have "fake" urine for doping tests.  Will rikishi wear those cooling strips, painted over with flesh-colored makeup?

Posted (edited)

One factor that can influence body temperature is the consumption of alcohol. I’m sure that rikishis have been informed of that fact. Since they have been known to consume large amounts of beer,  it’s possible that many of them could have short term body temperatures over the 37.5 limit only for that reason. I believe that's why their temperatures will be taken three separate times of day. I don't think that a single reading slightly over the limit will necessarily be disqualifying. The rikishi will be told to avoid alcohol until his temperature is taken one or two more times. If he has done so and his temp remains well over 37.5, that could be a cause for concern. Chances are excellent that with the booze gone from his system, his body temperature will be back in the normal range. 

It would be very strange to see rikishis going kyujo in Osaka, not because of possible illness but because they like to drink. :-|

Edited by sekitori

They should just skip the actual wrestling, film the temperature measuring and award the yusho after day 15 to the coolest guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Here's a question.   If a rikishi suspects he has a fever, what would he do?  Report himself? Go kyujo with a fake injury?  Take a temperature lowering pill?

19 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Here's a question.   If a rikishi suspects he has a fever, what would he do?  Report himself? Go kyujo with a fake injury?  Take a temperature lowering pill?

It’s a valid question. Sumo has a macho culture where rikishi learn to grit their teeth and play down any injuries. That’s not an easy thing to just switch off because someone says so. I can imagine a lot of rikishi will tell themselves it’s nothing to worry about and carry on if they get a slight fever, particularly if their rank is threatened by withdrawing.

18 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Would or should? Under the rules, if he has a fever and wanted to go kyujo he'd have to fake nothing. The fever alone would force his withdrawal, and it would not go undetected under the regimen they'll be using. He's more likely to take an antipyretic if he's doing well, the fever is truly mild, and wants to avoid kyujo at all costs.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Unless I'm in the dark, I don't think the NSK has made a decision about what to do regarding demotion resulting from forced kyujo due to fever.  If the Rikishi are reassured that they won't be demoted if they are forced to go kyujo, that would stop them from being motivated to take temperature-lowering medication.  The NSK will undoubtedly clarify this before the Basho starts.

I read earlier in this thread that Hakuho is terrified of the coronavirus, and I haven't heard a peep about him training.  I expect him to go kyujo before the Basho starts. Kakuryu on the other hand seems to be training hard, racking up a 50-0 win/loss record over a period of 3 days.  Unless he develops a fever, I expect him to compete.

Edited by sumojoann

Will NSK request testing anyone involved in ozumo for the virus if he/she is showing symptoms?  Or, would they likely to sweep it under to finish the basho?

18 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Will NSK request testing anyone involved in ozumo for the virus if he/she is showing symptoms?  Or, would they likely to sweep it under to finish the basho?

What if confirmed cases turn up?

• If a rikishi is confirmed with COVID-19, the basho is cancelled forthwith.
  • If an oyakata or a gyoji etc. is positive, they will decide on a case-by-case basis.
  • The question of the effect of basho cancellation on ranking in the next basho is “still under debate”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See above, per the news conference.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

What if confirmed cases turn up?

• If a rikishi is confirmed with COVID-19, the basho is cancelled forthwith.
  • If an oyakata or a gyoji etc. is positive, they will decide on a case-by-case basis.
  • The question of the effect of basho cancellation on ranking in the next basho is “still under debate”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See above, per the news conference.

Before someone is confirmed with COVID-19, he has to be tested.   Japan has some restrictions (or qualifications) to subject someone to a test.   I am not clear how JSK will make a rikishi to take the test instead of giving him the "go home and rest" speech.   

I think the piece of information that flabbergasted me the most was:

There will be no orchestra to play the national anthem, and it will be played from recording.

They have an orchestra there?!?!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

I think the piece of information that flabbergasted me the most was:

They have an orchestra there?!?!

Yes!!!!  You have to look up to see it as it is in the highest area of the arena.  It's not a full orchestra!  Here is a Youtube video.  You can see the orchestra at the very beginning of the video.  The National Anthem is only played on Senshuraku just before the Emperor's Cup and the other prizes are awarded. 

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On Senshuraku, at the end of awarding the prizes, there is a wonderful ceremony called Teuchi-shiki.  Unfortunately, it will undoubtedly be cancelled this Basho.  It is a welcoming ceremony for the new Rikishi (Shin Deshi).  After they file in, they form a circle on the Dohyo and drink sake.  Then they and the audience clap hands (a series of 3 claps 3 times).  After that, the Shin Deshi throw a Gyoji up in the air 3 times and then they all file out.  Brodi Henderson (Homarenishiki) is one of the Shin Deshi in this video.  He is the tallest!  This is a wonderful ceremony and during a normal Basho is not to be missed.  In the future, if you attend the Basho on Senshuraku (and if it's a NORMAL Basho), please don't leave right after the prizes are awarded as we saw many people do, trying to beat the crowd.  You will miss this ceremony which left an indelible impression on my husband and me.

You may recall that Hakuho got in trouble with the NSK during one of his Yusho interviews.  He exhorted the crowd to perform the series of 3 claps 3 times.  I think it might have been to honor himself!!  lol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I miss the gyoji toss. None of the sources of footage now show it. I don’t think there could be a better way to end a basho.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I miss the gyoji toss. None of the sources of footage now show it. I don’t think there could be a better way to end a basho.

The video I posted above shows the Gyoji toss.  It starts at 2:30.

Edited by sumojoann

That was a large class of shin-deshi (44, I think); in addition to Homarenishiki, it included Kiribayama, Ura, Mitakeumi, and Hokutofuji (as Daiki, his first name).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

That was a large class of shin-deshi (44, I think); in addition to Homarenishiki, it included Kiribayama, Ura, Mitakeumi, and Hokutofuji (as Daiki, his first name).

I suppose this is sorta true because of the one-basho sit out for Homarenishiki, but he wasn't in Mz at the same time as Ura and Daiki.  And he clearly wasn't with Mitakeumi either, who started at MsTD when Ura and Daiki were in Mz.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201505#Jk

Edited by Gurowake

15 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I suppose this is sorta true because of the one-basho sit out for Homarenishiki, but he wasn't in Mz at the same time as Ura and Daiki.  And he clearly wasn't with Mitakeumi either, who started at MsTD when Ura and Daiki were in Mz.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201505#Jk

Sorry, I wasn't making any BIG STATEMENT or anything ... I just happened to notice some other rikishi in the video and checked the db for Hatsu Dohyo in 3.2015 ... I started following Sumo in 2017, so the goings on from about 2010 - 2017 are interesting to me.

39 of the 74 original companies have withdrawn their kenshos. Some are still deliberating which bouts to sponsor if at all. Nagatanien are in whatever happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1