Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

59 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

This is bizarre indeed :-| 

I believe someone already called it the Bizharu Basho.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sekihiryu said:

also - with every school kid in japan at home and bored, they could use this as a chance to make the NHK coverage very kid friendly, never have the NHK had such a captive audience.  

Now I’m wondering what kid-friendly sumo looks like.

3 hours ago, Kuhne said:

maybe some of the wrestlers who usually get nervous in front of a crowd and do better in training will feel more at home this time around?

And the flipside of that is that wrestlers who feed off the crowd reaction might struggle. Terutsuyoshi's big salt throw is going to look a bit silly if no-one's there to go "oooooooooh".

• Like 1

I'm sorry but that's kind of silly and not...correct. I'd understand if the basho was already on its way and they had to finish up the last few days with no fans, but deciding to hold the whole thing from the start with no live audience? Fans are the lifeblood of every sport, it won't be just "strange" without them, it will change the dynamic of the whole thing. Postponing it is still the right choice if concerns are that high. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is not a joke. As a safety measure, the chikaramizu (power water) box will be empty and the rikishi will only go through the motions of drinking the water. They're  even calling it "airmizu." In addition, the rikishis' temperature will be taken for three days before the basho  and the average will be registered.Anyone over 37.5 degrees C will be forced to go kyujo. "We have a week from today and there are still many issues we haven't decided upon," said the rijicho. All the usual announcements at the venue will be made regardless, as there will be a TV broadcast after all, including monoii explanations. No yusho parade, some of the many prizes at the end may not be awarded. Emperor's Cup will be awarded, of course. The Japanese anthem will be played on playback. Kensho banners as usual, but anyone wanting to cancel them now , it will be discussed. Press coverage-difficult.No shitakubeya interviews, but a provisional area will be designated for that. No press gallery close to the dohyo will be allowed. Still photographers will be asked to keep their distance from the dohyo as well-no sunakaburi filming.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

After digesting this for lil while. With all the new fans.  Most sumo fans that watch it on broadcast only.

Still they should have cancelled, we'd get over it ! I just hope they come up with way to make it less of a somber event. 

Posted (edited)

Rikishi are used to performing behind closed doors; YDC soken not open to the public for example, where they're expected to show their stuff.  So I don't believe this will faze them. However, the lack of crowd energy will change the dynamic. As a sumo fan I'm actually a bit excited to see how this one plays out. Interesting times indeed!

Edited by RabidJohn

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

This is not a joke. As a safety measure, the chikaramizu (power water) box will be empty and the rikishi will only go through the motions of drinking the water. They're  even calling it "airmizu." In addition, the rikishis' temperature will be taken for three days before the basho  and the average will be registered.Anyone over 37.5 degrees C will be forced to go kyujo. "We have a week from today and there are still many issues we haven't decided upon," said the rijicho. All the usual announcements at the venue will be made regardless, as there will be a TV broadcast after all, including monoii explanations. No yusho parade, some of the many prizes at the end may not be awarded. Emperor's Cup will be awarded, of course. The Japanese anthem will be played on playback. Kensho banners as usual, but anyone wanting to cancel them now , it will be discussed. Press coverage-difficult.No shitakubeya interviews, but a provisional area will be designated for that. No press gallery close to the dohyo will be allowed. Still photographers will be asked to keep their distance from the dohyo as well-no sunakaburi filming.

Are they cutting down the pre-bout ritual time then? Kind of silly keeping it at 4m for sekitori if there’s no salt to throw or water to drink.

Edit: Ignore me. I misread.

Edited by Eikokurai

56 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Imagine showing up with a 1degree F (0.5 C) non-Corona "fever" and losing several ranks.  Can they come back when the "fever" comes down, or are they considered non-symptomatic "carriers" and have to sit out the whole basho?

• Thanks 1

Just when I thought the NSK might finally make some smart decisions, I wake up to this. Although I shouldn't be surprised. They've never truly cared for the rikishi's health on a beneficial level.

These band-aid solutions, like not sharing water, isn't going to cut it. These men are making full body contact every match. If even one of these guys has the coronavirus, it can still easily spread. How many would have to go forced-fever-kyujo before the NSK thinks to themselves, "Hmm, maybe this wasn't wise after all."

Yes it could all go perfectly swell, but I don't see the point of all this unnecessary risk. Do they really need the TV and ad revenue that badly?

• Like 1

How many people on the banzuke, nearly 700 odd? And Heya members and hangers on etc? Must be at least a thousand who will all be in the same place at the same time. It only takes one of them to get it and in such close quarters and that would really stuff sumo for a while... Given that rikishi are human beings and can catch corona virus and pass it onto other people, it seems to me like a crazy decision to hold the basho. Better to cancel and come back in May when the coast is clear.

• Like 1

This is potentially going to be a very bizarre Haru basho. I say potentially because it still could be cancelled.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Morty said:

How many people on the banzuke, nearly 700 odd? And Heya members and hangers on etc? Must be at least a thousand who will all be in the same place at the same time. It only takes one of them to get it and in such close quarters and that would really stuff sumo for a while... Given that rikishi are human beings and can catch corona virus and pass it onto other people, it seems to me like a crazy decision to hold the basho. Better to cancel and come back in May when the coast is clear.

They’re not all there at the same time. Lower division rikishi don’t compete every day, so unless they are tsukebito they don’t need to go and there are only 70 sekitori requiring assistants. Sekitori only arrive shortly before their dohyo-iri in the afternoon. There’s an East-West divide as well so they don’t all mix, luckily. Perhaps with the virus they will even introduce some measures to cut personnel down even further, such as reducing the number of tsukebito each sekitori can have with him.

Still, your point remains valid though as one sick person could leave the virus behind on a door handle or something even if they’ve left for the day.

Edited by Eikokurai

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

.Anyone over 37.5 degrees C will be forced to go kyujo. 

If a rikishi is running a slightl fever (for any reason at all) and is forced to go kyujo, I hope that the present rules for demotion will not be enforced and that the rikishi will be able to retain his present rank for the next basho. A demotion under such circumstances will be completely unfair. The present demotion rule (which I don't care for) should only apply to injury, not body temperature.

And what will happen to the subdsequent jungyo? Jungyos are held to bring sumo to areas where fans normally are unable to see live honbashos. Their object is to draw large audiences and since there will be no audience for the Haru basho, I assume the same thinking will apply to the Haru jungyo and that it will be cancelled. 

I do not like the idea of closed door sumo in Osaka and I hope that the NSK will at least have enough common sense to cancel any event that will create crowds in the next couple of months. That includes the Haru  jungyo,

Edited by sekitori

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Silliest idea ever. This is really going to be the Har Har Basho. They should have just cancelled. As pointed out already, are they going to demote guys for a fever? I don't see how they do that. I expect to see some injured or risk averse guys spending quality time in the suana for the 3 days before the basho.

Interesting that he brings up the Spring Tour. There won't be one. The Japanese government isn't going to allow 100 some odd people traipsing around the country in buses potentially spreading the disease.  The only thing on their minds is the Olympics. The only way to insure those happen is to shut this down now and hope it, and the hype, burns out.

• Like 1

NSK: OK, we're going to hold the basho, but there won't be any crowd in the auditorium."

Rikishi in lower three divisions: "So what else is new?"

Ishiura: "Who's going to break my fall when I get tossed out?"

Terutsuyoshi: "What's the point of throwing salt if nobody cheers?"  NSK: "Salt may carry virus.  No salt."

Tochiozan: "If I get a kinboshi, can I have my friends throw zabuton?

Hakuho: "Say, what with no crowd, this would be a good basho for guys who normally fold under pressure ... "

Goeido: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

NSK: OK, we're going to hold the basho, but there won't be any crowd in the auditorium."

Rikishi in lower three divisions: "So what else is new?"

Ishiura: "Who's going to break my fall when I get tossed out?"

Terutsuyoshi: "What's the point of throwing salt if nobody cheers?"  NSK: "Salt may carry virus.  No salt."

Tochiozan: "If I get a kinboshi, can I have my friends throw zabuton?

Hakuho: "Say, what with no crowd, this would be a good basho for guys who normally fold under pressure ... "

Goeido: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Kotoyuki: Doesn’t matter. I run into them like they’re not there anyway.

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Kotoyuki: Doesn’t matter. I run into them like they’re not there anyway.

Alas, poor Kotoyuki.  I thought about him bowling over fans, but he's maybe not coming back for awhile.

15 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Alas, poor Kotoyuki.  I thought about him bowling over fans, but he's maybe not coming back for awhile.

Kotoyuki will directly roll to shitaku beya lol

15 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

They’re not all there at the same time. Lower division rikishi don’t compete every day, so unless they are tsukebito they don’t need to go and there are only 70 sekitori requiring assistants. Sekitori only arrive shortly before their dohyo-iri in the afternoon. There’s an East-West divide as well so they don’t all mix, luckily. Perhaps with the virus they will even introduce some measures to cut personnel down even further, such as reducing the number of tsukebito each sekitori can have with him.

Still, your point remains valid though as one sick person could leave the virus behind on a door handle or something even if they’ve left for the day.

Another factor. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe  that while sekitori may travel to the venue by private car or taxi, the rest are required to use public transportation. Several hundred wrestlers commuting by bus and train intermingled with the general population over the course of 15 days does not seem like a wise move.

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Another factor. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe  that while sekitori may travel to the venue by private car or taxi, the rest are required to use public transportation. Several hundred wrestlers commuting by bus and train intermingled with the general population over the course of 15 days does not seem like a wise move.

I think they said rikishi weren’t going to be using public transport this time. Not sure where I read that but I think I did read it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I think they said rikishi weren’t going to be using public transport this time. Not sure where I read that but I think I did read it.

************************** SEE THE SECOND SENTENCE UNDER "COMING IN" *******************************

(I copied this information from tachiai.org)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some of the details from the press conference held by the NSK board. Keep in mind that they may reconsider any and all of these decisions during the coming week, and that more details will be ironed out as they come up.

Coming in

• Only NSK employees (rikishi, gyoji, yobidashi etc.), and members of the press and media will be allowed in.
  • The rikishi are not allowed to use public transport to get to the arena. Shuttle buses which are not used for public transport will be provided by the NSK.
  • Rikishi will need to have their temperature measured daily three times, and if the mean temperature is above 37.5ºC, they will automatically go kyujo.
  • Members of the press and media will also be requested to have their temperature taken at the entrance.

Media interaction

• Normally, members of the press are allowed to enter the shitaku-beya while the rikishi have their hair re-done after bouts, to ask questions. This will not be allowed this basho. Instead, there will be a designated interview area with no direct contact between rikishi and reporters.
  • Photographers will have to take photos at a distance. There is going to be a “sterile zone” of sorts around the dohyo.
  • Broadcast teams will be seated in the second floor seats, or in enclosed rooms with monitors.

The daily routine

• Chikara Mizu – “Power Water” – will be performed without water and without the rikishi touching the ladles with their lips. They will just be going through the motions.
  • PA announcements of monoii results will still be made, for the benefit of TV.
  • Kensho envelopes and their associated sponsorship flags have not been cancelled. They are aware that sponsors may want to cancel their pledges, and will have discussions with them if this happens.

Senshuraku

• The san-yaku greeting on Day 1 and Day 15 usually includes a bow in all directions. This time there will only be a bow toward the main camera direction.
  • The Emperor’s Cup, Yusho Flag, Prime Minister’s Cup and yusho certificates will be awarded. However, all the other prizes are to be cancelled pending deliberation.
  • There will be no orchestra to play the national anthem, and it will be played from recording.
  • The usual yusho photographs in the shitaku beya, featuring support group members and associates, will be prohibited.
  • The yusho parade will be cancelled.

What if confirmed cases turn up?

• If a rikishi is confirmed with COVID-19, the basho is cancelled forthwith.
  • If an oyakata or a gyoji etc. is positive, they will decide on a case-by-case basis.
  • The question of the effect of basho cancellation on ranking in the next basho is “still under debate”.

What about the heya?

It should be noted that the rikishi have already been warned not to go on unnecessary outings. Many heya have barred their practice grounds to spectators (customarily in non-Tokyo basho open practice sessions are common), and cancelled senshuraku parties and other fan interaction and events. There is going to be a meeting of the heya masters tomorrow, in which the procedure for temperature checking will be explained, and it’s likely that necessity of isolation of the heya members from the general public will also be stressed at that meeting.

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I would like to be able to obtain a program for this Basho.  I'm sure they have been printed already.  I wonder if the NSK would be willing to sell them online through the official gift shop.  Or does that present a risk, too??  Or is it totally impractical?  I have been collecting them since Jan 2004 and I have most of them.  It would be a shame for them to end up in the trash!!

Edited by sumojoann