Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Japan is indeed having it rough on the COVID front, but one of my friends tells me that they've now reached 50% vaccination. I found this Time article from a couple of weeks ago fairly accurate, and it talks about the general public views on COVID and the Olympics. I nearly posted the link there.

https://time.com/6088006/japan-olympics-covid-19/

5 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Japan is indeed having it rough on the COVID front, but one of my friends tells me that they've now reached 50% vaccination. I found this Time article from a couple of weeks ago fairly accurate, and it talks about the general public views on COVID and the Olympics. I nearly posted the link there.

https://time.com/6088006/japan-olympics-covid-19/

I follow the Twitter/Instagram accounts of a few minor Japanese celebs.  Two of them noted that they've just received their second vaccination this week.  (FYI, both of them women, both took a day off because of soreness and blahs from the injection).

36 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I follow the Twitter/Instagram accounts of a few minor Japanese celebs.  Two of them noted that they've just received their second vaccination this week.  (FYI, both of them women, both took a day off because of soreness and blahs from the injection).

Yes, Japan seems to have started vaccinations slowly. My two medical doctor friends said it was because the government, particularly the medical side, was perhaps a bit extra careful in accepting the vaccines. Now, though, they've ramped up. Hopefully, the COVID spike will be gotten under control and who knows, maybe we can go to a basho in person in 2022. I think all of my close friends in Japan have now been vaccinated. I waver between despair and hope...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Yes, Japan seems to have started vaccinations slowly. My two medical doctor friends said it was because the government, particularly the medical side, was perhaps a bit extra careful in accepting the vaccines. Now, though, they've ramped up. Hopefully, the COVID spike will be gotten under control and who knows, maybe we can go to a basho in person in 2022. I think all of my close friends in Japan have now been vaccinated. I waver between despair and hope...

A week and a half away from my second shot here. Took forever to receive the paperwork that allows one to even make an appointment for the first one. Even with about half the population vaccinated, cases are skyrocketing everywhere, and at least in my area it's pretty much 100% masks anywhere there are gatherings of people. A lot doesn't add up, but here in Japan most of us are just stoically dealing with it one day at a time.

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I originally scheduled mine for Sunday, but I got a tipoff that I'd want to do it on Friday to give myself some buffer time for recovery. Boy am I glad I did that.

Ichinojo just tested positive, I guess we know what that means. 

Ichinojou has tested positive for the virus today. He had a head cold and other symptoms and got tested yesterday. Ichinojou was in close contact with others who participated in the Kyokai's joint training sessions for four days. All other participants were found negative. "We have to remain vigil, so they will be tested again in two days," said Shibatayama PR guy. Two of Ichinojou's Minato beya lower ranked rikishi heyamates are waiting for their results as well. "At this time there is still enough time till the basho starts so we shall be ready. Unless a drastic change occurs, we'll be good to go," summed Shibatayama Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"At this time there is still enough time till the basho starts so we shall be ready. Unless a drastic change occurs, we'll be good to go," summed Shibatayama Oyakata.

I wish the big boy well. Surely all of the rikishi, including Ichinojo, have been vaccinated at this point?

Is Shibs trying to convince us, or himself?

2 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I wish the big boy well. Surely all of the rikishi, including Ichinojo, have been vaccinated at this point?

I think they have been, yes. Immediate serious illness won't be the problem. The problem extends beyond him, though, because asymptomatic transmission is possible and this means a number of heya are going to have to be isolated as a precaution.

3 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Probably the first dose only. Not enough to prevent the Delta variant. 

1 minute ago, Dapeng said:

Probably the first dose only. Not enough to prevent the Delta variant. 

Moti posted on August 6 that the second round of shots had wrapped up, with the exception of Takasago beya where they had the recent cluster which meant they had to delay theirs. It's been 3 weeks since then so I would assume Ichinojo's as protected as he's going to get now.

• Like 2

All rikishi who came into contact with Ichinojou at the joint keiko sessions were tested negative for the virus today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

That's good news about the negative tests.. There should be enough time for Ichinojo to fully recover and participate. He might be a little rusty though since he probably won't be practicing with anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

That's good news about the negative tests.. There should be enough time for Ichinojo to fully recover and participate. He might be a little rusty though since he probably won't be practicing with anyone. 

He can't practice too much anyway at his small heya, so no big loss there..

Fallout from the combo session? Hokuseiho tests positive for COVID-19.

https://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=501

No word whether this is via Hakuho/Enho from their participation at the rengokeiko last week. If it is, a number of other heya might be knocked out again as well. Probably not, because Hakuho/Enho would probably have tested positive or expressed symptoms before or together with Hokuseiho, so it's likely to be an independent infection.

Edited by Seiyashi

"Other rikishi? We'll wait for tomorrow's results. As for Hakuhou, I don't know if he's been around the heya lately.. If he has been, he's a target for testing.  As for Hokuseihou and his entering Aki, I don't know if he has any symptoms or what his exact situation is but there is a chance he won't be ready. He may be able to enter later - it all depends on his situation. If others are afflicted, we may have ourselves a serious situation.  Miyagino beya sat out January because of the virus. We'll have to see how many will be sick and decide for Aki," said Shibatayama.

• Thanks 2

All rikishies are supposed to have completed their vaccinations, haven't they? Now two out of the 70 sekitories got the virus. What kind of vaccine they took? Not very effective. 

Just now, Dapeng said:

All rikishies are supposed to have completed their vaccinations, haven't they? Now two out of the 70 sekitories got the virus. What kind of vaccine they took? Not very effective. 

Nah, the vaccines don't stop you from getting the virus, they just drastically reduce the chances of you dying - which is pretty important considering rikishi often have many comorbidities despite their young age.

That said, there's that new Mu variant of concern in South America, against which even Pfizer is not supposed to be very effective.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Also, given those numbers 2.8% of them are infected, and that seems to you an "ineffective" vaccine? Man, I'd hate to see the standards of perfection you apply to other areas of your life! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tochinofuji said:

Also, given those numbers 2.8% of them are infected, and that seems to you an "ineffective" vaccine? Man, I'd hate to see the standards of perfection you apply to other areas of your life! 

It's about 1 month since they completed vaccinations. If 2.8% are infected within a period of one month, it's no better than placeab in preventing infection. (Maybe effective in preventing severe cases and death)

Until today, there are 1.5 million got infected, about 1.25% of total Japan population. 

Two issues with that last post: it assumes COVID 19 infection is independent, and the population of comparison for the infection rate should be Tokyo not the whole of Japan. 

• Like 1

Well, bugger. Back at sanyaku after 2 years and a stint in juryo and now this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Two issues with that last post: it assumes COVID 19 infection is independent, and the population of comparison for the infection rate should be Tokyo not the whole of Japan. 

Or that one shouldn't look at specific higher risk groups as comparator given the nature of the rikishi lifestyle with no ability to socially isolate. Trying to draw a comparison against all groups across a country without a comparison of risk factors isn't exactly helpful. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tochinofuji said:

Or that one shouldn't look at specific higher risk groups as comparator given the nature of the rikishi lifestyle with no ability to socially isolate. Trying to draw a comparison against all groups across a country without a comparison of risk factors isn't exactly helpful. 

Although to be fair, the two infections thus far aren't related, so they are for present purposes independent. But then the population of interest should be all rikishi at least (if not all NSK personnel) because it's not as if the sekitori - toriteki distinction is one the virus respects. So 2 out of 600: 0.3% so far which means the vaccine 'works'! 

In all seriousness though, the next few days will see if anyone else gets knocked out. 

• Thanks 1