Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Oguruma Oyakata: “At some point the possibility of canceling the basho was brought up but it was decided to leave it to the chairman to decide. If the infection was more widespread we probably would have called it off..”

There is also talk of a possible switch to no spectators in the middle of the basho if things get a bit tough, and a total cancelation if things get really tough. The bigwigs were very careful not to set specific boundaries and only said any new event will be discussed with the health officials, so actually nobody important specifically said that if anyone gets infected the basho is immediately over, it appears.

44 minutes ago, Raishu said:

I

Has Kotokantetsu asked for a normal kyujo (with the regular drop in rank) and was denied, or to stay away from the tournament out of fear to contract the virus and keep his rank like the ones already infected?

Article doesn't say .

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Mr. Takada, a manager at the Kyokai, acknowledged that he received this request from Sadogatake Oyakata. He explained that only rikishi who were tested negative for the virus could enter the basho (what has that got to do with anything?)

I think that's meant to imply "it's safe to compete so there's no valid reason to stay away".

and added that to be kyujo, you needed a medical certificate.

That, of course, is clearly not an accurate representation by the guy, considering over the years we've had plenty of stories of rikishi not participating in a basho because they had either run away from the heya and later returned, or because they were held out by their shisho as internal punishment for something or other. No way all of those involved a medical certificate being submitted, nor did these cases somehow lead to different treatment of the rikishi afterwards (for the banzuke at least).

(BTW, I think it's Miyata, not Takada?)

This whole thing makes very little sense from all sides. And like Raishu, I'm left to wonder if what Kotokantetsu actually asked for was a no-penalty absence.

Edited by Asashosakari

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I think that's meant to imply "it's safe to compete so there's no valid reason to stay away".

That, of course, is clearly not an accurate representation by the guy, considering over the years we've had plenty of stories of rikishi not participating in a basho because they had either run away from the heya and later returned, or because they were held out by their shisho as internal punishment for something or other. No way all of those involved a medical certificate being submitted, nor did these cases somehow lead to different treatment of the rikishi afterwards (for the banzuke at least).

(BTW, I think it's Miyata, not Takada?)

This whole thing makes very little sense from all sides. And like Raishu, I'm left to wonder if what Kotokantetsu actually asked for was a no-penalty absence.

He stated he was afraid of the travel.to Ryogoku, so I don't think the fact that all participants in the bouts were negative is relevant.  And it's certainly Miyata, not Takada-I shall fix this immediately. 

Edited by Kintamayama

Substitute shinpan for Kokonoe, Tamagaki and Tomozuna -  Kumegawa (ex-Kotoinazuma), Fujigane (ex- Daizen) and Wakafuji (ex- Outsukasa).

• Like 1

Yikes. I haven’t been around for a while, so just catching up on the news. This sounds ridiculous. As much as I want to see a basho, it barely counts as one with so many rikishi out. As others have said, the need for revenue is likely driving this decision. Can’t the government bail them out? It’s a national cultural institution run under the direction of a state ministry. Surely that qualifies it for some public cash?

Tokyo Governor Koike has come out in what appears to be support for the NSK and it's holding the Hatsu basho, asking that they continue to work hard for helping out with maintaining Covid prevention such as washing hands and wearing masks per the anti-Corona campaign put out by the Metropolitan government. "I would appreciate their help with making sure that we will one day be able to view sumo with everyone not having to worry about this situation any longer."

https://www.nikkansports.com/general/nikkan/news/202101090000772.html

Former NPB player and TV commentator Isao Harimoto however has come out to criticize the NSK for holding the basho. "They're really holding it? Are they serious? They should just stop. There is no reason for doing this and it's dangerous. Instead of 'ozumo' it's going to become 'kozumo' (small sumo). Both yokozuna are kyujo. If they're going to stop the basho when more more infections turn up, then they shouldn't be holding it in the first place." 

His take on Kotokantetsu retiring: "He was scared because he felt his life was on the line. If he got it because he took unnecessary risks, that would be on him. Anyone who gets it can pass onto family members and friends close to you."

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202101100000109.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We now have an "official" name for what we are about to watch.  KOZUMO BASHO!!  (Small sumo).

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

We now have an "official" name for what we are about to watch.  KOZUMO BASHO!!  (Small sumo).

Or COVID sumo. 

2 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

We should probably rename the discussion thread to the 2021 Kozumo Covid Basho. 

I'll leave out the COVID in the name, but the thread has been renamed to the Kozumo Hatsu Basho. 

Anyone else not looking forward to watching this basho? With the number of cases and absent rikishi, it feels like the basho is a car crash waiting to happen. 

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He stated he was afraid of the travel.to Ryogoku, so I don't think the fact that all participants in the bouts were negative is relevant.  And it's certainly Miyata, not Takada-I shall fix this immediately. 

So the kyokai no longer makes arrangement for lower ranked rikishi to travel by car anymore (since Osaka last year)?

Sadogatake deshi probably travel quite a long way from their heya to the kokugikan, needing 1 transfer at the train stations?

Edited by rhyen

7 hours ago, rhyen said:

So the kyokai no longer makes arrangement for lower ranked rikishi to travel by car anymore (since Osaka last year)?

Sadogatake deshi probably travel quite a long way from their heya to the kokugikan, needing 1 transfer at the train stations?

I don't know about the car situation, but I read it to mean he didn't want to go to Ryogoku because there are a lot of people there and he didn't want to expose himself to strange people and a place he rarely goes to. It defeats the purpose of quarantine and social distance to go places you can't control.

14 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

We should probably rename the discussion thread to the 2021 Kozumo Covid Basho. 

After Kozumo Kramer, the guy from Sainferudo??

• Haha 2

Kotokanketsu didn't wait too long before appearing on ex-Takatouriki's YouTube channel. It looks like the guy is off on a Kyokai bashing quest and I wouldn't be surprised if some juicy stories started appearing on some media outlets that pay highly for this sort of thing.  "I entered the sumo world totally healthy in  2013, " he said. After three years, he underwent heart surgery so that puts him at high risk of possibly aggravating his problem if he contracts the virus.  "I think whether someone is afraid of the virus or doesn't care too much about it depends on that person's situation. I am terrified of it. At my present situation it's a huge risk for me to contract it,"  he added. He asked his Oyakata to let him go kyujo. "I asked him if my request was refused, would I have to retire?  He just said 'I guess so..'  I was totally in shock when he said that. I was filled with despair and frustration . In the past when I asked him for some help there were many times when he did nothing. Nevertheless, I was relying on my Oyakata and my heya and continued to believe in them. More than the fact that I won't be doing sumo anymore, the fact that the Kyokai and my Oyakata and nobody else was willing to help me reminded me again of the harsh reality, and that brought about my intai," he said, his voice breaking.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

After Kozumo Kramer, the guy from Sainferudo??

More like after Kozumo de' Medici I reckon... 

14 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I'll leave out the COVID in the name, but the thread has been renamed to the Kozumo Hatsu Basho. 

Great new name!!  I hope the next basho won't be called the Kozumo Haru Basho, and the one after that the Kozumo Natsu Basho, and so on ............

I feel really bad for Kotokanketsu and I'm glad he's getting a chance to speak out about what he went through. I can't imagine that he's the only wrestler at high risk for a bad outcome, or the only wrestler questioning their participation in the tournament. Hope he has a smooth transition back to the real world.

2 hours ago, mt fuji said:

I feel really bad for Kotokanketsu and I'm glad he's getting a chance to speak out about what he went through. I can't imagine that he's the only wrestler at high risk for a bad outcome, or the only wrestler questioning their participation in the tournament. Hope he has a smooth transition back to the real world.

Just I predicted, Chris Gould has gotten on the bash the NSK train by essentially recycling Takatoriki's material

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this but does anyone know how Hakuho is doing?  Last I heard, he was in the hospital with COVID-19.  He had lost his sense of smell.

Edited by sumojoann

(There is a Sumo point, honest!). Interesting article in the UK Guardian about the Olympics and whether or not it can be held (link below). Ex Japanese Prime Minister and Tokyo Olympic Organising Committee member Yoshiro Mori said that a second postponement would be impossible. While preparations continue and the IOC have measures ready to protect the athletes and officials, a number of polls have overwhelmingly suggested that the Japanese public think the games should not be held in July with 77% saying that they should be cancelled or postponed. As there seems to be little appetite for a second postponement, cancellation is a growing possibility.

So, and I quote, "Speculation is building that a decision on the Games future will have to be made by the end of March" - I wonder what implications this might have for the current Yokozuna, especially Hakuho should that decision be a cancelled Olympics? Who knows, perhaps Hakuho could be saying goodbye after the March tournament if things go the wrong way.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/13/tokyo-2020-head-says-impossible-to-delay-olympics-as-public-opposition-grows

Edit: The same paper carries another article today (or update) with the GB Olympic Team spokesperson saying that they 'are full steam ahead for the Games to take place' and were confident that the stands would be full of spectators despite the current polls.

Edited by Karasukurai
  • Like 1

Kokonoe Oyakata and 4 Makushita and under rikishi from the heya have been diagnosed with the virus. As the heya is out of the basho anyway, it will have no effect on the ongoing basho. "It's a good thing that we already have the heya in lockdown.." said Shibatayama Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kokonoe Oyakata and 4 Makushita and under rikishi from the heya have been diagnosed with the virus. As the heya is out of the basho anyway, it will have no effect on the ongoing basho. "It's a good thing that we already have the heya in lockdown.." said Shibatayama Oyakata.

I'm sure Kokonoe and his pupils will be able to oshidashi the virus out of their bodies and the heya :)  (Sakke...)

Kokonoe oyakata is in hospital, as are four of his deshi. It appears that 10 people from the heya were found positive, and four of them are in hospital plus the Oyakata.

• Thanks 3