Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

59 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

The treatment of the entire heya excluded from competition was appropriate given that none of them individually posed a known risk to other rikishi; they simply were in the range of being possible carriers during the tournament that were not able to be cleared by the time the tournament started, so it was safer and more consistent for everyone involved that all those potentially exposed not participate and maintain their rank.  For those that actually have the virus, the reasoning is a bit different, because it would be the same as with any contagious disease a rikishi may be suffering from that doctors may not allow that particular person to participate because they are a known current risk, and as such might not get any lenient treatment.  However, comparing the two situations makes it seem really assholish, given how contagious this thing is, to force them to not participate and then dock their rank.  I would hope that they might then look at similar situations with an eye on the same factors.

I think we've gone through this during the Tamanoi event, but the point is if the rikishi have COVID, it is not their call to make whether they mount the dohyo or not. That is entirely different from an injury which they choose to gambarise through or not. In any case, now that the COVID-kosho precedent has been established, it would be folly not to use it for anyone who is an infection risk because it would be a risk not worth running. Don't forget that sumo is one of the more successful test cases for holding sporting events with a live audience, especially in the run up to the Olympics next year, and I don't think the NSK wants to take any chances with their good record so far.

I think they will let them enter unless someone gets seriously ill or this drags on till after banzuke day. We have the Takadagawa precedent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Minato-oyakata (former Maegashira Minatofuji) is the latest figure from sumo to contract coronavirus. He felt unwell yesterday and went to the closest hospital to be tested, which returned a positive result. He wasn't at the heya in the last three days so the rikishi and other members weren't considered close contacts, but the Kyokai has had them all tested with those results to be returned tonight. Minato's family will be monitored as close contacts, Minato himself is receiving treatment.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202012150000664.html

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 3

Minato Oyakata has entered a hospital in Saitama for treatment. The Tatsunami boys will be released from the hospital  tomorrow. "They will return to the heya and we'll see what's what. No reason to hurry decisions unnecessarily, They will be in self isolation for now" said Shibatayama PR  man regarding resuming of keiko and entering the basho. . 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

An additional Makushita or under Tatsunami rikishi was found positive, bringing the Tatsunami total to 11. “There were ten ill on the 10th, but after yesterday’s additional tests, another rikishi was found positive,” announced Shibatayama PR man. A notice was sent recently to all heya. “The infection is on the rise nationwide and the health measures are becoming stricter and the caution level is currently at four in Tokyo, the highest level. Going out will be prohibited from the 25th. Hatsu basho is around the corner. Please take extra care,” it said. As for the heya entering the next basho? “In the current situation, there is no problem,” summed Shibatayama.

• Like 1

Tatsunami-beya was evacuated to a hotel while COVID disinfection efforts took place. Disinfection is complete and everyone has returned back to the heya.

It also seems some members were at the (are at) the hospital, I guess for testing but its not clear.

Picture of disinfecting guy at the heya.

132201833_3506753522772765_2539759377667

• Like 1

The number of spectators allowed for Hatsu at the KKan will be limited to 5000 until day 2 (January 11th, inclusive), as per the request of the authorities. They then will decide how to go on and notify the Kyokai. For now, large venues that can seat more than 10000 people are limited to 5000. The kyokai announced prior to this that they will let 5300 in. "We're not sold out on the first two days so we will adjust ourselves. We had plans to stop at 5000 anyway, "explained Oguruma Oyakata, in charge of the Tokyo bashos.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/12/2020 at 04:58, Kintamayama said:

The number of spectators allowed for Hatsu at the KKan will be limited to 5000 until day 2 (January 11th, inclusive), as per the request of the authorities. They then will decide how to go on and notify the Kyokai. For now, large venues that can seat more than 10000 people are limited to 5000. The kyokai announced prior to this that they will let 5300 in. "We're not sold out on the first two days so we will adjust ourselves. We had plans to stop at 5000 anyway, "explained Oguruma Oyakata, in charge of the Tokyo bashos.

Given the current Covid19 situation in Japan, I wonder if the number of spectators will still remain at 5000.   Things are looking dire.

11 hours ago, mt fuji said:

Wakatakakage is confirmed positive

guess, he did even try to henka covid

Since it was diagnose after the banzuke was announced, automatic kyujo & rank retention?

Arashio beya will be on the tenterhooks for the next few days. 

Japan recorded 4,500 new cases yesterday, with about 1400 of those in Tokyo, a new record, drawing speculation that a state of emergency will be instituted. Even then, I don't believe the basho will be canceled other than due to a serious outbreak among the rikishi. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Tokyo recorded 4,500 new cases yesterday, a new record, drawing speculation that a state of emergency will be instituted. Even then, I don't believe the basho will be canceled other than due to a serious outbreak among the rikishi. 

You meant Japan, not Tokyo which reported about 1400 new cases.   Things are not looking good but I am still hoping for successful sumo in Jan.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

You meant Japan, not Tokyo which reported about 1400 new cases.   Things are not looking good but I am still hoping for successful sumo in Jan.

Thanks. Corrected! Japan is not trending in a positive direction at the moment. I doubt it'll deter Hatsu Basho from going on as planned, but I personally think going the no-spectator route would be prudent. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

46 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

I personally think going the no-spectator route would be prudent. 

That'd be common sense with the UK COVID variant and rapid increase in new infections.  But Japan's national COVID policy has been the Economy first.  So, I think it will be held with spectators.

13 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

All the wrestlers and the oyakata at Arashio stable are confirmed positive.

Two weeks to go, they aren't competing. Hopefully they do get the Tamanoi treatment. What has become of Tatsunami beya so far?

"There is talk of  a national state of emergency. We really don't know what will happen, but we'd like to somehow do the basho, even without spectators.." said Shibatayama PR man.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"There is talk of  a national state of emergency. We really don't know what will happen, but we'd like to somehow do the basho, even without spectators.." said Shibatayama PR man.

Without spectators would be a reasonable compromise.  

8 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Two weeks to go, they aren't competing. Hopefully they do get the Tamanoi treatment. What has become of Tatsunami beya so far?

They have been discharged, hopefully no more positive test results until long after the conclusion of the basho. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rhyen said:

They have been discharged, hopefully no more positive test results until long after the conclusion of the basho. 

I think just hopefully no more positive test results, period.

"I said yesterday that we will try to hold the basho even without spectators but we will have to wait and see what the authorities will decide. We will discuss this at a special rijikai. There is no way we can postpone the basho by two weeks. It's going to be a difficult decision to make at this juncture. It can still be held with no fans and there are other ideas as well.. " said Shibatayama. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1