Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Hot off the press (and a little bit of my editorials):

1) State of Emergency to be declared tomorrow for Tokyo, and other key areas.   A week late but this is a step in the right direction.

2) JSK is still in wait and see mode on the May basho.   They are in denial.  

3) Japan has increased testing capacity to 20000 per day.   They have been woefully under- testing against the announced capacity.  So, what is the point keep increasing the capacity?    My feeling is, they will change the testing qualification process.   If not, it will take much longer to end the outbreak and they know it.   

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ now lists total tests, tests per million by country.   

Edited by robnplunder

11 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Yep, kuriin handu and we will win.

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

And they are doing very well, altough I don't think denial is the correct word.

What would be the point of cancelling an event that will happen in 2 months and that they are not selling any tickets (i.e. they can cancel 1 day before it starts if they want)?

Would that make people more happy or decrease the number of deaths and infected? No. So what is there to complain about not cancelling it today?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

1) State of Emergency to be declared tomorrow for Tokyo, and other key areas.   A week late but this is a step in the right direction.

3) Japan has increased testing capacity to 20000 per day.   They have been woefully under- testing against the announced capacity.  So, what is the point keep increasing the capacity?    My feeling is, they will change the testing qualification process.   If not, it will take much longer to end the outbreak and they know it.   

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ now lists total tests, tests per million by country.   

New cases per day in Spain fell hard. In Italy they fall too but too slow. The japanese are more disciplined so I hope the fall of new cases per day should be steeper few weeks after state of emergency. I also doubt there is a chance in hell for May tournament, but the July one might actually happen.

As for testing, they are working on faster testing through automated tests as do americans and other nations.

8 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

I also doubt there is a chance in hell for May tournament, but the July one might actually happen.

As for testing, they are working on faster testing through automated tests as do americans and other nations.

If Japan does everything well against COVID 19 from now, July basho can happen.   I will believe it once they start testing people proactively.  Waiting for someone to have 4 days of high fever will not do.  Those people will continue to spread their virus to others (including doctors, nurses) until they are tested positive.   20000 test capacity per day, 1-hour test result finding (less accurate?) won't do much if the test qualification process limits the number of tests.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Yes, massive testing is key to getting this under control and in regaining any semblance of normalcy before a vaccine is deployed. That is likely to be 18 to 24 months minimum, and could easily be longer.

Some very interesting and disturbing tidbits about this virus are coming to light through US sources now that it's on the ground here in a big way. I doubt that we'll have another basho until they're able to test all participants shortly before it starts.

19 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

PM Abe is set to declare a State of Emergency for Japan tomorrow. This can't bode well for the prospects of the May Basho.

The point to note is that the State of Emergency is only effective until May 6th, and given that the Summer Tourney has already been officially delayed by a week, there is an outside chance of the NSK being free to hold another empty-stadium affair.  It depends on whether the State of Emergency will be extended, and on what the Japan Sports Agency will tell the NSK to do.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/04/5c77df980ac8-breaking-news-abe-to-declare-state-of-emergency-over-virus-govt-official.html

20 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

No degeiko during the state of emergency is a no-brainer. Probably best they have that social media policy in place during this time, as a bunch of restless fighters hanging out at home are probably pulling all kinds of gags like our man Abi...

If the state of emergency is only until May 6, then delaying Natsu looks sensible - will give them time to work out the logistics if they do decide to proceed. I wonder if they could do behind closed doors but exclude all the media and have as few Kyokai personnel there as possible. 

4 hours ago, ryafuji said:

If the state of emergency is only until May 6, then delaying Natsu looks sensible - will give them time to work out the logistics if they do decide to proceed. I wonder if they could do behind closed doors but exclude all the media and have as few Kyokai personnel there as possible. 

If they are serious about holding the basho in May, I would suggest they test everyone involved in holding the basho ASAP and self isolate until the basho's start.   

Things are still not looking good.  Japan has not changed its testing strategy.   And amazingly, tests are done in reduced capacity during weekends.  That can't be called "emergency."    

Today, there were about 360 new cases with some prefectures not testing close contacts of the infected.   They asked those to stay home and observe. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

No degeiko during the state of emergency is a no-brainer. Probably best they have that social media policy in place during this time, as a bunch of restless fighters hanging out at home are probably pulling all kinds of gags like our man Abi...

No, I would very much like to hear what Abi-san has to say about the virus , and anything somewhat entertaining coming down in the beya...

• Like 1

Hmm, a whole 12 hours with no posts added to this thread... 

50 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Hmm, a whole 12 hours with no posts added to this thread... 

You goad me into posting an update.   Tokyo just reported 144 new infections, its highest daily tally yet.   Streets are definitely emptier which is good.   It will have  meaningful impact which will show up in several weeks.   Until then, the numbers will continue to go up.  I predict Japan will report over 400 new cases for today, breaking the daily record again.