Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Recommended Posts

NSK is looking at allowing degeiko. Most likely degeiko would have to happen before the announcement of the banzuke. "The two weeks before the basho are most important" said Oguruma. "If someone tests positive, we would have them quarantine for two weeks, and if they got an infection from the heya they went to, the heya would also quarantine for two weeks. So they could do degeiko up until the banzuke announcement." 

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202009120000279.html

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The now traditional (13th) scarecrow festival in Mitsue village, Nara, focused on the Abe-no-mask, which each citizen in Japan had received from the government. This piece is meant to depict Nara new local hero Tokushoryu o

origin_1.jpg

with the one who made it - it lacks the proper volume to qualify as bearing resemblance

wst2009170028-n2.jpgo

definitely more scary with mask - but will the crows notice?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 16:50, Akinomaki said:

Due to the rise in infections, the restriction of a limit of 5000 spectators for pro-sports and similar events is very likely to go on also in September, and the sports world will have to deal with it. The successful July basho with a 2500 limit is always cited in this context. The government initially planned to relax restrictions start of August, then they were prolonged till end of August. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/news/2020/08/15/kiji/20200815s00042000103000c.html 

Government event restrictions are relaxed now, more people are allowed in. Shibatayama told today that they have think about how to increase the limit number for non-Kyushu o

- this and the last basho the NSK not even has close to the 2500 limit of spectators though

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Degeiko will be allowed beginning October 5th for 2 weeks. Proof of a  negative virus test and an approval from the destination heya's Oyakata will be needed. Each rikishi will be allowed to go to one heya only. A keiko session at the Kokugikan's training institute is also being considered. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Degeiko will be allowed beginning October 5th for 2 weeks. Proof of a  negative virus test and an approval from the destination heya's Oyakata will be needed. Each rikishi will be allowed to go to one heya only. A keiko session at the Kokugikan's training institute is also being considered. 

Will there a chance of YDC rengo keiko? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Will there a chance of YDC rengo keiko? 

Not as the mass gathering it normally is... I don't see how that can be done without increased risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tokitsukaze and Matsugane have received their punishments for going out during the virus limitations. Tokitsukaze gets a demotion from iin to toshiyori, Matsugane gets a reprimand. Tokitsukaze travelled to Mie prefecture on September 4th, went out for a meal with people, and stayed at a hotel. He then played golf the next day. He then went to his home town Itsushima and stayed their till the 8th. He was disciplined in the past twice between 2010 and 2011, being demoted from shunin to toshiyori. This time, he left the heya's coaches in charge of training . "As a toshiyori , he should have thought of a worst case scenario, but he didn't even give it a tiny thought, "said Hakkaku rijicho.  Regarding Matsugane: "He thought that if he met  his family somewhere nearby there would be no problem, but he was being selfish and didn't think this through," said the rijicho. He had gone out for "nonessential business" at least 4 times between September 5th and 10th. "Even as a warning to others, a reprimand is necessary," it was said. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Haru basho is planned to be held in Osaka o

There were plans to have degeiko for 2 weeks starting on the 5th, also in the sumo training institute in the kokugikan, but it looks like this will have to wait: they can't catch up with checking who will take part and with doing the PCR tests. o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

There were plans to have degeiko for 2 weeks starting on the 5th, also in the sumo training institute in the kokugikan, but it looks like this will have to wait: they can't catch up with checking who will take part and with doing the PCR tests. o

Looks like they'll only just start with preparations, and slowly: this day all shisho were assembled (or rather a scheduled regular shisho-kai?) and got told to check about how many rikishi want to take part in degeiko https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/10/02/kiji/20201001s00005000545000c.html

- what was that about going out without need? So far sending them a mail was working, for the ban on degeiko

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Looks like they'll only just start with preparations, and slowly: this day all shisho were assembled (or rather a scheduled regular shisho-kai?) and got told to check about how many rikishi want to take part in degeiko https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/10/02/kiji/20201001s00005000545000c.html

- what was that about going out without need? So far sending them a mail was working, for the ban on degeiko

Nothing like a meeting of a ton of people to talk about having meetings of fewer people.  Sigh.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shibatayama invited degeiko seeking rikishi to the Kkan training institute and declared there is an intention of holding  degeiko sessions at said Kyokai's training institute at the KKan.  A while back, he said it would start today and continue for two weeks, but the preparations were lacking so it's still only a plan.. He said the details haven't been decided upon yet, but that a few rikishi have voiced their wish to participate. The degeiko to other heya ban is still in place.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Shibatayama invited degeiko seeking rikishi to the Kkan training institute and declared there is an intention of holding  degeiko sessions at said Kyokai's training institute at the KKan.  A while back, he said it would start today and continue for two weeks, but the preparations were lacking so it's still only a plan.. He said the details haven't been decided upon yet, but that a few rikishi have voiced their wish to participate. The degeiko to other heya ban is still in place.

Wat?

pair/group up the smaller heya into bubbles.  Done.  

This seems like a great way to cross-link all the heya that participate, which would seem to defeat the purpose.  Presumably the kkan is better-ventilated, which should help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news, as long as the virus doesn't go to degeiko too. I think a lot of the sekitori looked rusty last basho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shibatayama on the phone declared today that joint keiko will take place in the sumo training institute from the 16th till the 22nd. About 10 sekitori and 14 makushita and below plan to take part. They have to undergo PCR tests 2 times, on the 15th and the 19th o - the usual degeiko, at another heya, won't take place

Hakkaku yesterday announced to all heya the new guidelines that change every 2 weeks. It will be stricter - will it really? - dining with koenkai members is not recommended, but if it can't be helped, the shisho can decide o - eating out can be permitted with up to 5 persons. o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Shibatayama on the phone declared today that joint keiko will take place in the sumo training institute from the 16th till the 22nd. About 10 sekitori and 14 makushita and below plan to take part. They have to undergo PCR tests 2 times, on the 15th and the 19th o - the usual degeiko, at another heya, won't take place

 

The press is asked to wear masks / face shields and keep a three meter distance. Everything will start a bit later than planned (originally it was planned to start on the 5th for two weeks) so it will end later as well. "For some rikishi, the closer to the start of the basho, the better.." added Shibatayama.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2020 at 16:25, Akinomaki said:

Government event restrictions are relaxed now, more people are allowed in. Shibatayama told today that they have think about how to increase the limit number for non-Kyushu o

- this and the last basho the NSK not even has close to the 2500 limit of spectators though

The rijikai on the 19th will debate about the increase of the limit of spectators. Shibatayama: "We plan to increase the number of spectators, seats, so we will announce the measures for it."

Today Hakkaku and riji heard the reports from experts about the Corona tests of all the rikishi before the Aki basho. For reasons of protection of personal information, no data about the results are published: "It was talk about what to learn from the results and which steps should be taken."

http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/10/15/0013785045.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The rijikai on the 19th will debate about the increase of the limit of spectators. Shibatayama: "We plan to increase the number of spectators, seats, so we will announce the measures for it."

Travel agencies already offer tours to the non-Kyushu basho intended for 2 persons per masu seat box. And the government subsidizes tours (from inside of Japan) to the basho with up to 50% of tour costs within the GoTo Travel campaign (35% as reduced costs, 15% as coupon). https://www.hankyu-travel.com/tour/detail_d.php?p_course_id=3G311BA&p_hei=10

http://www.sumo.or.jp/IrohaKyokaiInformation/detail?id=396

Edit: accordingly, a limit of 5000 persons per day is planned http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20201015/sum20101520390003-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number of spectators allowed this coming November basho will be raised to 5000 (was 2500 last basho), it was decided today. Two allowed in each masu-seki (usually for four). Normal chairs-one empty chair in all directions between the spectators. The tamari-zeki (the ones around the dohyo) will be open as well (were closed), but limited to rows five and seven and to officials and staff only. Masks at all times when not on the dohyo (masks will be distributed to those that forgot) or around it, temperature checks, etc. Food stalls will be re- installed (last basho no sale of food was allowed) and sale of merchandise will resume. "I'm glad we can get more people to watch. We will be very vigilant in protecting their safety and will be extra careful to take temperatures. We will deploy serious counter-measures!" declared Shibatayama PR man.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now