Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Sue said:

Well, we just had Ura, so....

Did you mean Abi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Somehow, I don't see Ura as the type to find himself at the center of a scandal. 

Let's not forget the bright pink mawashi. How dare he!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

Let's not forget the bright pink mawashi. How dare he!

I hope we see it returning. I found it a very good shade of pink and enjoyed the NHK's clip on its creation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

Let's not forget the bright pink mawashi. How dare he!

You're right! Along with Chiyotairyu, his co-conspirator. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Iwayama said:

Did you mean Abi?

I did. Sorry, wrong three-letter shikona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shibatayama: "Hopefully we'll have a temporary rijikai around the beginning of next week and will decide regarding the September basho. We'd like to make decisions as soon as possible regarding it-  how many people will be allowed in, etc. We are hoping to have as many spectators as possible, depending on the situation."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Shibatayama: "Hopefully we'll have a temporary rijikai around the beginning of next week and will decide regarding the September basho. We'd like to make decisions as soon as possible regarding it-  how many people will be allowed in, etc. We are hoping to have as many spectators as possible, depending on the situation."

An unusually cogent statement from Shibatayama, but I'm left wondering if I wrong in assuming 'rijikai' means a meeting of the board of directors. 'Interim', 'extraordinary' or even 'emergency' are the kind of adjectives I expect to see describing this kind of meeting, but 'temporary'?

Edited by RabidJohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

An unusually cogent statement from Shibatayama, but I'm left wondering if I wrong in assuming 'rijikai' means a meeting of the board of directors. 'Interim', 'extraordinary' or even 'emergency' are the kind of adjectives I expect to see describing this kind of meeting, but 'temporary'?

Special, temporary, out of the ordinary - potato-potatoe.. 臨時理事会

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mistranslation, by the looks of it. The kanji do connote emergency/nick-of-time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sempai sekitori of the Saitama Sakae high sumo club - Takekuma (Goeido), Takakeisho, Kotonowaka etc., at the request of related persons sent the club members masks made out of their individually designed cloth for yukata, with messages. They got them on the 10th, just before the interhigh would have started, had it not been canceled. http://www.muromin.jp/news.php?id=10286

9.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Mistranslation, by the looks of it. The kanji do connote emergency/nick-of-time. 

I disagree- rinji means temporary, as in something  that is not regular, as in special or extraordinary or extra. I'm pretty sure it does not denote any emergency or nick of time, just the fact that it's not timely,  something that wasn't planned in advance, not something permanent, hence, temporary.  As opposed to 緊急, emergency, urgent.

https://www.nihongomaster.com/dictionary/entry/53509/rinji

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KintamayamaI read your translation and immediately understood the message. I can ask for nothing more. I stuck a thank you on your post before I became uncertain (of my understanding), and I'm thanking you again for the translations you post here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Sempai sekitori of the Saitama Sakae high sumo club - Takekuma (Goeido), Takakeisho, Kotonowaka etc., at the request of related persons sent the club members masks made out of their individually designed cloth for yukata, with messages. They got them on the 10th, just before the interhigh would have started, had it not been canceled. http://www.muromin.jp/news.php?id=10286

Sounds like a new merchandising idea. Rikishi masks, straight from the souvenir stands at the Kokugikan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

@KintamayamaI read your translation and immediately understood the message. I can ask for nothing more. I stuck a thank you on your post before I became uncertain (of my understanding), and I'm thanking you again for the translations you post here.

Oh sure, no problems. I make a lot of mistakes with these and am the first to admit them, but this one I was pretty sure of as it happens too often lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Morning said:

Sounds like a new merchandising idea. Rikishi masks, straight from the souvenir stands at the Kokugikan.

Made from old unwashed mawashi. That’d keep the virus at bay.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Made from old unwashed mawashi. That’d keep the virus at bay.

Since there was no "I just threw up in my mouth" emoji, I was poised between "Ha Ha" and "Sad"; decided to go positive here!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I disagree- rinji means temporary, as in something  that is not regular, as in special or extraordinary or extra. I'm pretty sure it does not denote any emergency or nick of time, just the fact that it's not timely,  something that wasn't planned in advance, not something permanent, hence, temporary.  As opposed to 緊急, emergency, urgent.

https://www.nihongomaster.com/dictionary/entry/53509/rinji

This is the applicable nuance of "rinji in this case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Made from old unwashed mawashi. That’d keep the virus at bay.

Must be the one stolen quite recently ... Bunny business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2020 at 18:29, Kaninoyama said:

Somehow, I don't see Ura as the type to find himself at the center of a scandal. 

LOL, oh, I think he's good for some controversy, particularly within the sport he has chosen. My understanding is that the pink mawashi, itself, caused a bit of a stink when Ura hit Juryo the first time. I'm hoping for another strong basho and we'll be within shooting distance of a return to the the paid ranks for one of my favorite rikishi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ura should be ranked right around the Ms5/Ms6 boundary, so a 7-0 will see him return to Juryo, and depending on exactly how the banzuke shakes out, a 6-1 or even a 5-2 could also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shibatayama Oyakata regarding degeiko: "We can't have everyone going around willy nilly. We need to make concrete decisions on this subject. Nothing has been decided about this yet at this time."  He plans to discuss this with "specialists" and make a decision soon. "There's a difference between going for degeiko and not going for degeiko, " said Kakuryuu earlier. Hakkaku rijicho joins the discussion, renewing the guidelines that all heya must follow regarding coping with the virus. "Coughing and sneezing etc. fills the air and can cause infection. That's why ventilation is essential. Heyas with no windows-not good. Air condition, air circulator, electric fans, opening of windows-keep the air flowing!"

One member of the Kyokai was tested after a family member was diagnosed and another one was tested because he had a fever. Both were found negative and will be retested tomorrow. "Not only members of the Kyokai, but their families are cooperating to help us remain virus free, " summed Shibatayama PR chief.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2020 at 13:19, Kintamayama said:

Shibatayama Oyakata regarding degeiko: "We can't have everyone going around willy nilly. We need to make concrete decisions on this subject. Nothing has been decided about this yet at this time."  He plans to discuss this with "specialists" and make a decision soon.

Degeiko before the next basho remains prohibited, says Shibatayama, and will relay this to the oyakata at the toshiyorikai on the 31st.  He said going for degeiko warrants a PCR test and there is not time for that. The rikishi had asked for the ban to be lifted, but to no avail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the 30th the NSK will hold a course in the kokugikan about prevention of - not as usual violence, but - Corona infection, for all heya members: rikishi, oyakata, urakata and also heya managers and okamisan.

The infected unnamed low ranked rikishi without symptoms has left the hospital on the 24th.

http://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2020082501025

About 1000 will be in the kokugikan for the course, to keep social distance, they will also be seated on the 2nd floor o

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The infected unnamed low ranked rikishi without symptoms has left the hospital on the 24th.

The first time there was an "infected unnamed low-ranked rikishi", we ended up with a cluster that involved stable master Takadagawa and a sekitori or two.  Keeping the identity of the wrestler private is their call, but I feel they should be a little more forthcoming about the stable.  Certainly, some tracing and intervention measures and might be called for in that stable's case.

P.S., Has there been any update on Shikimori Inosuke's condition?  I was half expecting him to be on the list of oozumo infection cases, since he belongs to Takadagawa Stable.  Apologies in advance if that information has already been posted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now