Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

He was tested negative on the 11th, but complained of bad physical condition on the 13th and then was tested positive. According to Shibatayama, the route of infection is unknown.  http://www.sankei.com/sports/news/200814/spo2008140021-n1.html

Any coinfections?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/medical-community-increasingly-mindful-of-co-infection-during-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB11YV2Y

Edited by Otokonoyama

On 13/07/2020 at 15:04, Akinomaki said:

The NSK aims for up to 5000 spectators per day at the Aki basho - for this the July basho measures have to be a success http://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2020071301022&g=spo

Due to the rise in infections, the restriction of a limit of 5000 spectators for pro-sports and similar events is very likely to go on also in September, and the sports world will have to deal with it. The successful July basho with a 2500 limit is always cited in this context. The government initially planned to relax restrictions start of August, then they were prolonged till end of August. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/news/2020/08/15/kiji/20200815s00042000103000c.html 

• Like 1

It seems like limited, or no, spectators will be standard around the world until there is a virus. At least we still get to watch the sports we love.

12 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

It seems like limited, or no, spectators will be standard around the world until there is a virus. At least we still get to watch the sports we love.

Another one?

• Haha 2

Hah.....autocorrect strikes again! Lesson learned. Proof read before posting. That should have been vaccine not virus. Since you already caught me and quoted me, it’s too late to edit it now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Hah.....autocorrect strikes again! Lesson learned. Proof read before posting. That should have been vaccine not virus. Since you already caught me and quoted me, it’s too late to edit it now. 

I invented typos..

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Hah.....autocorrect strikes again!

Autocorrect is but a short step from Skynet taking over! Next thing you know we'll have Terminators trying to wipe us out.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I invented typos..

The hell you did, you barstad!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

The hell you did, you barstad!

oyu cnt nto sya uchs hting!  Ton in htis rufom.

Edited by robnplunder

Oddly, after the World Snooker Championships were played down to the semis with no fans, for the two-day final they decided to let them in.  About 60% full, right to row 1, very few wearing masks, many groups of people sitting together.  I was surprised the local health authorities didn’t shut the whole thing down after the first day.

1 hour ago, Ichimawashi said:

Oddly, after the World Snooker Championships were played down to the semis with no fans, for the two-day final they decided to let them in.  About 60% full, right to row 1, very few wearing masks, many groups of people sitting together.  I was surprised the local health authorities didn’t shut the whole thing down after the first day.

You’re not allowed to breathe when you watch snooker because of the noise disturbance, so that probably helped.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We're back to "not going out at night" again. Shibatayama Oyakata PR guy: "We are slowly tightening things up , facing Aki basho." The rules were relaxed a bit after last basho and the boys were allowed to go out at their Oyakata's discretion. This ban includes dinner with members of their support groups. "They can go out to shop but no going to bars and stuff where there is a chance of a third-party contraction. " Today marks the start of another round of virus inspections for all rikishi, so if anything changes, we'll know in two weeks time.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 14/08/2020 at 17:46, Akinomaki said:

He was tested negative on the 11th, but complained of bad physical condition on the 13th and then was tested positive. According to Shibatayama, the route of infection is unknown.  http://www.sankei.com/sports/news/200814/spo2008140021-n1.html

Tested negative today. No symptoms. 

• Like 1

Time to put the tests to the test.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

They DID shut the whole thing down after the first day. The first day of the tournament as a whole, that is. They were spectators for Day 1, because the tournament was one of the few selected sporting events to trial limited spectators - then the government changed their minds. 

Edited by ryafuji
clarify

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

They DID shut the whole thing down after the first day. The first day of the tournament as a whole, that is. They were spectators for Day 1, because the tournament was one of the few selected sporting events to trial limited spectators - then the government changed their minds. 

They shut the spectator thing down till the final two days, the tournament otherwise progress mostly normal. Difference was that every player got their own support thingies instead of sharing and the abominable clap from tape.

Regardless of sumo or snooker or everything else, I really dislike the artificial audience sounds some venues and broadcasters inflict on us.

On 14/08/2020 at 13:50, Akinomaki said:

Another makushita or below (=unnamed) rikishi has contracted the disease. So far he has no fever or other symptoms, but as of today is in hospital. Those who highly likely were in contact with him were tested, but the results are not yet known - nobody complains of symptoms.

Those that were tested to have been in contact with the positive one were all negative - it was not disclosed how many were tested. The one is still in hospital, with an extremely low virus count - Shibatayama: "There was no report of any symptoms" - so just for good measure.

Another rikishi complained of fever today, antigen test result negative. Shibatayama: "After examining his condition, he will take a PCR test if necessary."

http://hochi.news/articles/20200817-OHT1T50202.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

We're back to "not going out at night" again. Shibatayama Oyakata PR guy: "We are slowly tightening things up , facing Aki basho." The rules were relaxed a bit after last basho and the boys were allowed to go out at their Oyakata's discretion. This ban includes dinner with members of their support groups. "They can go out to shop but no going to bars and stuff where there is a chance of a third-party contraction. " Today marks the start of another round of virus inspections for all rikishi, so if anything changes, we'll know in two weeks time.

Shibatayama was busy explaining details today:

Going to a restaurant that sticks to the prevention guidelines is OK if:

• the heya occupies the whole restaurant alone
  • rikishi or oyakata eat with their families

Returning home like the Isegahama guys did is no longer allowed, but oyakata may still go scouting - if the safety is ensured. In uncertain cases, the NSK has to be consulted. (Matsugane got the virus on scouting tour)

The guidelines will be revised every 2 weeks (so we have sumo in the news sometimes).

http://hochi.news/articles/20200817-OHT1T50206.html

About Aki: "If spectators can come, we want to have as many as possible" (they didn't even manage to attract the full 2500 per day that were allowed last basho)

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLSSXK10768_X10C20A8000000/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Do we have a date by which we'll know whether there will be a basho and/or whether there will be spectators? I'd think they would need to decide about the latter rather soon.

15 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Do we have a date by which we'll know whether there will be a basho and/or whether there will be spectators? I'd think they would need to decide about the latter rather soon.

Unless something really drastic happens, the basho is on from September 13th. As for spectators I'm guessing they will leave it as is, i.e. 2500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Unless something really drastic happens, the basho is on from September 13th. As for spectators I'm guessing they will leave it as is, i.e. 2500.

I'm so impatient...  Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I'm so impatient...  Thanks for the info!

26 mal werden wir noch wach, heissa dann ist Basho-Tag...as we say in Germany (Laughing...)

Can't wait for it, too. Unbelievable the last basho ended just 16 days ago. We need a new scandal to keep up the tension, quick!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Benihana said:

Can't wait for it, too. Unbelievable the last basho ended just 16 days ago. We need a new scandal to keep up the tension, quick!

Well, we just had Ura Abi, so....

Edited by Sue

1 minute ago, Sue said:

Well, we just had Ura, so....

Ura? What year is it? Did i miss something?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benihana said:

Ura? What year is it? Did i miss something?

Somehow, I don't see Ura as the type to find himself at the center of a scandal.