Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

On 31/07/2020 at 15:50, Akinomaki said:

The restrictions to stay in the heya are planned be relaxed after the basho - too late for Abi, and rather meant for oyakata: they complain that they have to go out and scout new recruits.

All heya today got the message from NSK headquarters that with the permission of the shisho, going out is allowed again. Degeiko is still not allowed, it will be considered after banzuke publication for Aki, on August 31st. All NSK members will take another Corona antibody test in August. If the government declares again a state of emergency, the Aki basho could get canceled.  http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200802/sum20080221240021-n1.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

with the permission of the shisho, going out is allowed again.

Sounds like a reaction to the Abi-mess. You can't stop the kids from messing around, so at least make them wear protection. Any chance this might reduce Abi's punishment?

3 hours ago, Benihana said:

Sounds like a reaction to the Abi-mess. You can't stop the kids from messing around, so at least make them wear protection. Any chance this might reduce Abi's punishment?

Highly doubt it, since his crime is equal parts disobedience and folly; you're not getting rid of the fact that he disobeyed rules as they then stood by changing the rules afterwards. It probably does suggest he won't be kicked out, but since the consensus here was that he was likely to be suspended at least one tournament (in addition to the forced kyujo this round) instead of being forced to retire, I don't think the new rules change much.

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

All heya today got the message from NSK headquarters that with the permission of the shisho, going out is allowed again. Degeiko is still not allowed, it will be considered after banzuke publication for Aki, on August 31st. All NSK members will take another Corona antibody test in August. If the government declares again a state of emergency, the Aki basho could get canceled.  http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200802/sum20080221240021-n1.html

Hakkaku made clear in that message that there are restrictions, esp.

• no night clubs or hostess bars - that's where Abi went to
  • no after party (2jikai)
  • don't order large plates

The next Corona tests start in 2 weeks.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202008020001262.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
  • don't order large plates

So no Greek restaurants then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

So no Greek restaurants then?

Looks like greek restaurants are all alike over the world. Huge portions, swimming in fat and absolutely delicious.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Looks like greek restaurants are all alike over the world. Huge portions, swimming in fat and absolutely delicious.

I was actually referring to the smashing of the plates..Yaso. Leo!

• Like 1

I assume they mean no sharing of dishes? 

Or is this an attempt to save Toma from himself?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

I assume they mean no sharing of dishes? 

Or is this an attempt to save Toma from himself?

Looks like they want them to only have a light snack and leave quickly, and not challenge for the super size serving - but still get fat in the heya

Posted (edited)

I still like my theory about saving Toma from himself.

Edited by Churaumi
It's a joke, but is it really?
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I still like my theory about saving Toma from himself.

I had never heard of Toma until you mentioned him.  I looked him up.  Wow!!!  Six ft tall and 465 lbs!!!  And in Miyagino Beya, same as Hokuseiho, who is 6 ft 7 in & weighs 348 lbs.  I agree with your theory about saving Toma from himself!  lol

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I had never heard of Toma until you mentioned him.  I looked him up.  Wow!!!  Six ft tall and 465 lbs!!!  And in Miyagino Beya, same as Hokuseiho, who is 6 ft 7 in & weighs 348 lbs.  I agree with your theory about saving Toma from himself!  lol

Toma came to my attention when he won a national middle school team sumo tournament five or six years ago. He was huge then, he's rounding the corner to Konishiki now.

3 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Toma came to my attention when he won a national middle school team sumo tournament five or six years ago. He was huge then, he's rounding the corner to Konishiki now.

That's very interesting.  Looks like he's another rikishi from Miyagino Beya that we should keep an eye on.  (Sorry, I have run out of "likes").

Posted (edited)

At his size it's hard to keep an eye off him!

I can't see him becoming a sekitori and his 0-7 wasn't too surprising. He'd already been figured out in high school and I doubt his body holds up for long.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

At his size it's hard to keep an eye off him!

I can't see him becoming a sekitori and his 0-7 wasn't too surprising. He'd already been figured out in high school and I doubt his body holds up for long.

It doesn't sound like he has much going for him.  That's a shame.  But I am curious as to why Miyagino Beya recruited him in the first place if he had so little promise.  They must have seen SOME potential in him.

Posted (edited)

When he was in primary school he was pretty much unbeatable due to his size, and I believe one of the tournaments he won was the Hakuho Cup, which came with the privilege of the yokozuna presenting his winnings. They've had a connection and I think done heya visits since then, but Toma has been getting less and less effective as he's gotten older and the opposition has gotten stronger and more skilled.

His trajectory from primary school star to highly beatable big ball is similar to Kiyonoumi's:  http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12195. Toma is probably slightly better, but that's still not going very far.

Hokuseiho is a promising new recruit though, and balances Toma out in dimension and potential.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

On 30/07/2020 at 19:46, Akinomaki said:
On 30/07/2020 at 16:44, Akinomaki said:

5 kensho banners from the Metropolitan Government: Stop Corona

On the last 3 days they will parade 3 times each: after the juryo dohyo-iri, after the yokozuna dohyo-iri and in the break between 1st and 2nd half of makuuchi:

a campaign in cooperation with the NSK.

Koike presented the campaign today

Koike was at the kokugikan today to present to Hakkaku a certificate of gratitude for the kensho style campaign. The NSK presented the banners to the Metropolitan government o

EevF-2LUMAEm2eg.jpg:large

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Matsugane Oyakata (ex- Tamarikidou) has been infected and has been hospitalized. He is the second Oyakata to be infected after Takadagawa in May. During the July basho he mostly patrolled the venue and did not go to his heya. No heya members or Kyokai members were said to be in his vicinity. His family is being tested. No symptoms, no fever. He was interviewing new prospects yesterday when he took the test and was found positive a few hours later.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shibatayama on the relaxing of the going - out rule, allowing each oyakata to allow their rikishi to go out at their own discretion: "Instead of  shutting them away, I'd like them to be able to take a breather. But they should keep their having fun and being careful at a 50-50 ratio.." This , as some holidays are nearing. Let's not forget these guys (except Abi and probably others who were not caught..) have been isolated since March. Among other things, new recruits will be accepted and some homecoming will be allowed as well, all at the oyakata's discretion, of course.

• Like 2

Shibatayama spoke to the press on the phone today: the next Corona antibody tests for all rikishi will take place on 5 days, starting on the 17th, after the o-bon season. Last time the tests were for all NSK members. Planned for after banzuke publication (August 31st) is to reconsider the ban on degeiko.  http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200810/sum20081018340003-n1.html

• Thanks 1

Another makushita or below (=unnamed) rikishi has contracted the disease. So far he has no fever or other symptoms, but as of today is in hospital. Those who highly likely were in contact with him were tested, but the results are not yet known - nobody complains of symptoms. Earlier reported Matsugane-oyakata left hospital yesterday. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200814/k10012567271000.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Another makushita or below (=unnamed) rikishi has contracted the disease. So far he has no fever or other symptoms, but as of today is in hospital.

He was tested negative on the 11th, but complained of bad physical condition on the 13th and then was tested positive. According to Shibatayama, the route of infection is unknown.  http://www.sankei.com/sports/news/200814/spo2008140021-n1.html

• Like 1