Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Posted (edited)

Shibatayama interviewed today: "Around next week somewhere I may be able to tell about the results of the antibody tests. They haven't arrived precisely at the kyokai yet."

About the empty basho: "The kyokai has raised it (the level of vigilance) to supreme. We continue to tell self restriction of going out. But in Kyoto there has been infection by (chugen presents etc.) parcel delivery." "Wearing masks is the number one to prevent infection. During the basho we have to take care even more. Any way, measures against infection are necessary in the kokugikan."

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007030000641.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

On 03/07/2020 at 04:16, orandashoho said:

The virus had been able to spread everywhere. Even in the countries with the most stringent lockdowns it hasn't gone away. When it can spread hiding in people who don't get ill themselves or hardly develop symptoms, how can you identify and isolate it? We might have had a chance at one time, but even the Chinese lockdown had been too little too late. If given the choice now, would you completely isolate yourself for a month for the chance to eradicate it? Maybe not, because there will be too many who would break quarantaine, too many who don't see the risk or don't care about the risk. Sadly, the disease is not deadly enough to instill enough fear in the population as a whole to make the most simple rules work. Look where this got us. 

The enemy has to be made more visible and more personal. 

True although there are nations that have done a good job even without a strict lockdown.   So, COVID 19 can be beat.   But Japan isn't one of them.  After the nation declared emergency and seemingly put the COVID 19 situation under control, I knew things would get worse without changing their strategy.   Just relying on people to combat the COVID 19 on their own hasn't worked for any nation.   Only the nations with proactive and aggressive strategy (not necessarily lockdown) have done well.   The timing of Japan's COVID 19 resurgence isn't good for the upcoming basho.   It wiil now surely start without the crowd.   Whether it can successfully finish or not is the big question.      Today, Japan reported 274 newly infected, yet another increase.   1/2 of those are people in Tokyo.  Others are infected after they visited Tokyo or from people who came from the city.   I.e, Tokyo's community spread is likely worse than the city's testing strategy shows.

Posted (edited)
On 03/07/2020 at 20:09, Akinomaki said:

Shibatayama interviewed today: "Around next week somewhere I may be able to tell about the results of the antibody tests. They haven't arrived precisely at the kyokai yet." 

The results: other than at Takadagawa-beya, where several infections had happened, among 891 tested, affiliates of 44 heya, 5 were tested positive. Those of the 5 who had developed symptoms within the last 3 days before the test, undertook a PCR test at once, all were negative. 4 of the 5, who consented, had another PCR test later, all negative. The 1 other had a high potency of antibodies and is seen as having had an infection at least 5 months ago and being completely cured. http://hochi.news/articles/20200706-OHT1T50153.html

sekitori answer at home: Hakuho, Daiaamami, Tobizaru, Tsurugisho

lidSII7Hh-v9wBl7.jpg:thumbvid 53kmgFk6-mPwQQam.jpg:thumbvid hPSHZ8ZXAGnXIO9h.jpg:thumbvid qEgXzosHy8e3Qggv.jpg:thumbvid

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Admittedly I haven’t been as in the loop as much as I’de to have been over the last few weeks, but how confident are we that we’ll see a basho in the coming weeks now? It seems like the likelihood is high based on what I see but what’s the consensus here?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Admittedly I haven’t been as in the loop as much as I’de to have been over the last few weeks, but how confident are we that we’ll see a basho in the coming weeks now? It seems like the likelihood is high based on what I see but what’s the consensus here?

Most likely it will happen without the audience.     

Tokyo has been averaging 100 new COVID 19 cases per day for over a week now.   So, it will be interesting to see if the basho finishes without any issues.   Today, they reported 224, Tokyo's all-time daily high.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

I suppose the challenge if the basho is allowed to go on (despite a citywide lockdown) will be the transportation of rikishi, since Sadotagake, Oitekaze, Onomatsu and several other heya are located far from the epicenter of ryogoku. Remember that the rikishi were not allowed to use public transport during the Haru Basho. 

methink the basho will go on, unless the Tokyo governor outlaws sporting events (several pro baseball and football leagues are expected to restart, and the clubs are all in isolation). 

I suppose there will just be a fleet of rental cars going back and forth from stable to kokugikan and back all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

Remember that the rikishi were not allowed to use public transport during the Haru Basho. 

The urakata will be using public transport for the basho. Shibatayama (on the 3rd): "When they use it, it should as much as possible be during the time it is not crowded. I told this the gyoji, yobidashi and tokoyama today." http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007030000641.html

Hakkaku on the 6th told that after the July basho, another antibody test will take place. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007060000921.html

Sekitori answer: Daieisho, Kakuryu

xXkxBwHE74z34YXz.jpg:thumbvid HI87FDAZGB6TOH4s.jpg:thumbvid

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Also the winter jungyo likely will be canceled - the press learned this today through interviews with related persons. That means no jungyo at all the whole year, this happened last in 2011 due to the yaocho scandal.

From August on, the government plans to allow pro sports events to fill venues up to 50%. For the jungyo promoters this means a certain loss, jungyo usually have small venues to start with. The promoters withdraw and under these circumstances, the winter jungyo tour can't take place.

Winter jungyo canceled and a plan to have the Kyushu November basho in Tokyo in the kokugikan as well is what came up in the late/early news. The rijikai on the 13th will decide also about these plans. https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/87609

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 07:36, Churaumi said:

I suppose there will just be a fleet of rental cars going back and forth from stable to kokugikan and back all day.

A fleet of bicycles would be more entertaining.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

A fleet of bicycles would be more entertaining.

Well, since Sadogatake (sp) is about 28 km away, that's a 1 hr + trip one way.  Expect a lot of rikishi named Koto- with make-koshi(Weeping...).

My guess.  There will be sanitized private buses to service areas with several heyas. (RidinganATV...)  The buses would make several runs per day with stops at each heya.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 20:13, Akinomaki said:

Winter jungyo canceled and a plan to have the Kyushu November basho in Tokyo in the kokugikan as well is what came up in the late/early news. The rijikai on the 13th will decide also about these plans.

Decisions: all jungyo this year are canceled and the usual Kyushu basho will be held in Tokyo as well, day 1 is November 8th. https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/1976943/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, since Sadogatake (sp) is about 28 km away, that's a 1 hr + trip one way.  Expect a lot of rikishi named Koto- with make-koshi(Weeping...).

Same with Naruto beya

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Same with Naruto beya

??

The current Naruto-beya is located in the Sumida ward. They shouldn't have any trouble at all regarding distances.

If you mean the old Naruto-beya (run by the late Takanosato) that is now Tagonoura-beya you would be right, since this stable once had its headquarters in Chiba as well, before the current shisho moved it to Tokyo as Tagonoura stable.

Edited by Raishu
  • Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 09:06, Akinomaki said:

the usual Kyushu basho will be held in Tokyo as well

Local TV about it: scenes from last year, usual heya locations and focus on the disappointed Fukuoka fans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-UMUgjfEM

• Like 2

On 14/07/2020 at 15:34, Akinomaki said:
On 13/07/2020 at 09:06, Akinomaki said:

the usual Kyushu basho will be held in Tokyo as well

focus on the disappointed Fukuoka fans

They may stay disappointed for a long time - till Corona is under control, the regional basho will be held in Tokyo. One sekitori to his Kyushu koenkai: "Maybe also next year I can't go to Kyushu" http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/1994472/

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 10:39, Akinomaki said:

They may stay disappointed for a long time - till Corona is under control, the regional basho will be held in Tokyo. One sekitori to his Kyushu koenkai: "Maybe also next year I can't go to Kyushu" http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/1994472/

Ironically, Tokyo seems to be struggling with COVID 19 at this point.  366 new infections reported today.   The number is less alarming than the trend which has been spiking up.  Unless there is a call for another nationwide emergency declaration, there may be no basho in fall.   

Tagonoura appears to be the next person within the NSK to be in trouble due to unnecessary outings during the basho and not following Corona guidelines by the NSK. He had gone out to dinner at an unknown date but pictures circulating on the internet show him to be drunk. He took a test and the results turned out to be negative. Shibatayama had his opinion on the situation and commented that as a leader that holds a heya that he has to be more careful. Taganoura has so far received a stern warning, and there are no other disciplinary actions being announced so far.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007280000389.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Japan cannot get a handle on the current COVID 19 situation, there may be no basho in the fall.  Japan will report over 1000 new infections before the day is over.  

Posted (edited)
On 30/07/2020 at 16:44, Akinomaki said:

These new 5 kensho banners from the Metropolitan Government may be shown in full on NHK, at least once: Stop Corona

202007300000590-w1300_0.jpg

"Go to shops with stickers (that show it follows the guidelines)", "Wash your hands, use a mask", "No! to the 3mitsu", "Keep distance", "to not get infected, and not infect others"

On the last 3 days they will parade 3 times each: after the juryo dohyo-iri, after the yokozuna dohyo-iri and in the break between 1st and 2nd half of makuuchi: Tokyo pays no kensho money, it is a campaign in cooperation with the NSK. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007300000590.html

Koike presented the campaign today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6DZU-WyxQ&t=18m28s

20200730at65S_t.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/07/2020 at 11:36, robnplunder said:

If Japan cannot get a handle on the current COVID 19 situation, there may be no basho in the fall.  Japan will report over 1000 new infections before the day is over.  

I am in an argumentative mood today.. All bashos will happen. Maybe without fans, but there 's no going back. Everyone will have to learn to live with the virus because for now, it's here to stay. We have nearly 2000 new cases daily but life goes on more or less, except for the entertainment business. It will be OK. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I am in an argumentative mood today.. All bashos will happen. Maybe without fans, but there 's no going back. Everyone will have to learn to live with the virus because for now, it's here to stay. We have nearly 2000 new cases daily but life goes on more or less, except for the entertainment business. It will be OK. 

It will most likely happen without fans even if things get worse.   And before it becomes really bad, Japanese people and their local governments will do the right and smart things to flatten the curve (no thanks to Mr. Abe and his gang).