Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Gernobono said:

Looks like Natsu cancelled and Nagoya on without spectators and 2 weeks delay (at least that is what the german google-translation says)

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20200504/k00/00m/050/111000c

Yes, they are aiming for the July basho to be moved from Nagoya to the Kokugikan, starting on 19 July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance for mae-zumo happening behind closed doors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the big question is will Tokyo be ready to host the next basho?  I am going to predict it will happen.  No doom and gloom here.  :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 06:47, Gaijingai said:

 

11 hours ago, Gernobono said:

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo/20200504-OYT1T50087/

Two articles previously linked, and a third above, all mention that this is the third time that a basho has been cancelled. The English language article doesn't mention it, so I thought I'd expound for those who are interested.

The first time was the Natsu Basho in 1946, when there were delays in the restoration work to the old Ryogoku Kokugikan due to war damage, and the second was the Haru Basho in 2011, which was cancelled due to the match-fixing scandal.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point I’d say I’m pretty confident we will see a July basho but without spectators. Japan has closed up but I can’t see the state of emergency lasting through the July basho dates especially if it has been pushed back two weeks. Another month and I think more and more Japanese people will be getting restless and wanting to open the economy back up again. Elected officials will feel pressure so that’s what we will move towards. So we’ll see the state of emergency extended once more through June 15 and then things gradually open back up again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kintamayama kudos for guessing that the basho won't happen. I am surprised by the measures taken by NSK. How would they cope financially? Would they receive any support from the government? The baseball association was reported to aim for July restart of the baseball championship. I could not hear what they said on the news about the football season. 

Hopefully, people like Tomokaze would be able to rest and recuperate more thoroughly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The rikishi approach towards the virus shown by Kototsurugi does not look wise

EXORx15UcAA-wT_.jpg:thumbo

But the sumo jinku text (by the former editor-in-chief of Baseball Magazine - also for sumo magazines) gives the (sung) proper sumo rules to avoid the three crowding densities - san-mitsu 3密, the onomatopoeic slogan for them in Japan is: むんむん (mun-mun -  mippei 密閉 closed environments) - ぎゅうぎゅう (gyuu-gyuu - misshuu 密集 crowded places) - がやがや (gaya-gaya - missetsu 密接 close contact)

1588516139_395838211.jpg

the usual critical areas in an average heya

20200410s00005000375000p_thum.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need a dozen moderators to split the sumo unrelated off-topic in this thread off to the proper sub-forum.

The cause of thread implosion like with HF1 is still not understood - but just to be safe and preserve this unique topic, I recommend to lock it and start with a new thread "Really sumo and corona"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there no separate thread about the basho cancellation?

Also, why the heck did it take so long to come to the very obvious conclusion the basho should be cancelled? Why wasn't this cancelled weeks ago?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Also, why the heck did it take so long to come to the very obvious conclusion the basho should be cancelled? Why wasn't this cancelled weeks ago?

 

 

I am no expert of japanese culture, but as far as I untersand, face-saving is a key factor. Cancel a basho because the state of emergency is extended is a perfectly acceptable excuse and doesn't require the NSK to take a decision on its own, that might be critisised by some (no idea who) as the wrong one.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I think we need a dozen moderators to split the sumo unrelated off-topic in this thread off to the proper sub-forum.

The cause of thread implosion like with HF1 is still not understood - but just to be safe and preserve this unique topic, I recommend to lock it and start with a new thread "Really sumo and corona"

It took a single moderator coming out of sumo hiatus, and two hours of time. I kicked out everything that I believe only to be of tangential relation to sumo. I might have made some questionable judgments, but with 800+ posts things like that can happen.

There's now an off-topic thread for that, called "General Corona Banter". Please try to have your discussions about Covid numbers, other sports, and particularly about Sweden over there.

Thank you.

Edited by Randomitsuki
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

I am no expert of japanese culture, but as far as I untersand, face-saving is a key factor. Cancel a basho because the state of emergency is extended is a perfectly acceptable excuse and doesn't require the NSK to take a decision on its own, that might be critisised by some (no idea who) as the wrong one.

It was the same with the Olympics. To make the decision and have to apologise for the problems that it has caused is perhaps less palatable then to bow to external pressures causing something to happen and then you have no choice (and it's not your fault).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Randomitsuki said:

It took a single moderator coming out of sumo hiatus, and two hours of time. I kicked out everything that I believe only to be of tangential relation to sumo. I might have made some questionable judgments, but with 800+ posts things like that can happen.

There's now an off-topic thread for that, called "General Corona Banter". Please try to have your discussions about Covid numbers, other sports, and particularly about Sweden over there.

Thank you.

So, just to be super-clear here, where do we post about Swedish sumo?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

So, just to be super-clear here, where do we post about Swedish sumo?

In the amateur sumo sub forum - it has no general corona thread yet

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sponichi after the 1 billion yen minus for Haru gives an estimate of way over 3 billion yen loss of income for the NSK now, with the complete cancellation of Natsu and another empty following basho there will be 3 basho in a row without ticket sales - and no jungyo this year till the winter one in December.

Pay reduction for the salaried NSK members is one problem that may happen and make their living difficult, the other are the maintenance costs the NSK pays each heya for each of the 6 main basho of the year: 115 000 yen for each rikishi, 45 000 to maintain the keiko grounds and more. In 2011 this was payed when the basho was canceled, this time it is not yet decided if the heya will get those sums. https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/05/06/kiji/20200505s00005000307000c.html

The heya gets monthly sums per rikishi as well - these will be unaffected.

Another thing to be payed per basho is the mochi-kyuukin bonus of the sekitori - this surely will be scrapped for the canceled Natsu basho.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Rocks said:

Is there no separate thread about the basho cancellation?

Also, why the heck did it take so long to come to the very obvious conclusion the basho should be cancelled? Why wasn't this cancelled weeks ago?

 

 

What would have been the point? As I argued earlier on the forum, a honbasho held in Tokyo is bread and butter for the Kyokai. They could start one tomorrow without much prep. All honbasho use a standard template and timetable, everyone involved lives around the corner and all know their job, and the Kyokai owns the venue. Without spectators it’s even easier. No need to worry about food and beverage logistics or venue security. There was really no value to cancelling it earlier, so why bother?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

What would have been the point? As I argued earlier on the forum, a honbasho held in Tokyo is bread and butter for the Kyokai. They could start one tomorrow without much prep. All honbasho use a standard template and timetable, everyone involved lives around the corner and all know their job, and the Kyokai owns the venue. Without spectators it’s even easier. No need to worry about food and beverage logistics or venue security. There was really no value to cancelling it earlier, so why bother?

They would need a few days to build the Dohyo and then go through the blessing ceremonies etc. But other than that you are right, a Tokyo basho would be very easy to run at short notice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Sponichi after the 1 billion yen minus for Haru gives an estimate of way over 3 billion yen loss of income for the NSK now, with the complete cancellation of Natsu and another empty following basho there will be 3 basho in a row without ticket sales - and no jungyo this year till the winter one in December.

Pay reduction for the salaried NSK members is one problem that may happen and make their living difficult, the other are the maintenance costs the NSK pays each heya for each of the 6 main basho of the year: 115 000 yen for each rikishi, 45 000 to maintain the keiko grounds and more. In 2011 this was payed when the basho was canceled, this time it is not yet decided if the heya will get those sums. https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/05/06/kiji/20200505s00005000307000c.html

The heya gets monthly sums per rikishi as well - these will be unaffected.

Another thing to be payed per basho is the mochi-kyuukin bonus of the sekitori - this surely will be scrapped for the canceled Natsu basho.

Did they make money from the last basho?  How much did they make or lose?   

I would think the July basho may happen without audience.   The loss can mount.    I think the pay cut is given.  ( In earlier post, I was just kidding about 30% reduction in the amount Chanko one can eat.   Make that 50%.  Meat is served only on Thursday.  Gruel on weekends.  )

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morty said:

They would need a few days to build the Dohyo and then go through the blessing ceremonies etc. But other than that you are right, a Tokyo basho would be very easy to run at short notice

True. I forgot about the dohyo thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Did they make money from the last basho?  How much did they make or lose? 

1 billion yen less than usual is what the articles keep reporting. That is much more than their yearly profit.

On 24/03/2020 at 09:53, Akinomaki said:

For the 5th (and last) year a profit for the NSK: due to pay rise for the rikishi, 189 million less than last year, 317 million yen.

Edit: the usual business earnings per year of the NSK are close to 12 billion yen

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’d have to think sumo would be near the front of any government bailout queue if times get too tight, given its prominence as the unofficial national sport and cultural heritage. It’s run with government oversight anyway, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

You’d have to think sumo would be near the front of any government bailout queue if times get too tight, given its prominence as the unofficial national sport and cultural heritage. It’s run with government oversight anyway, no?

That depends on how many NSK officials went to elementary school with Abe ... ;-).   Yeah, I would think NSK will get the financial help if it comes to that.  BTW, Japan leads the world in total debt by far.  I wonder how long they can keep printing money without serous consequence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

True. I forgot about the dohyo thing.

I mean there simply must be something like www.dohyo-over-night.com, it's the internet after all!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Morty said:

They would need a few days to build the Dohyo and then go through the blessing ceremonies etc. But other than that you are right, a Tokyo basho would be very easy to run at short notice

They could build the doyho and put the ready one underground, instead of the used up one, which they get back up to demolish and build the new one on top. That would save several days and just leave the dohyo matsuri to do the day before the start of the basho - but maybe the dohyo crumbles and deteriorates underground and the rikishi would complain about having to fight on a dohyo with best before date expired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now