Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Recommended Posts

I have been seeing reports on a sumo facebook page that the Sumo wrestlers and the Oyakata with covid are all now out of the hospital. Is this true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kishinoyama said:

I have been seeing reports on a sumo facebook page that the Sumo wrestlers and the Oyakata with covid are all now out of the hospital. Is this true?

Yes. One rikishi in hospital yet, but covid-test negative already. 

Edited by Qwerry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Pay cuts, huh? The guys from Jonokuchi to Makushita are like, “Go on then. Bring it on. I dares ya!”

The amount of Chanko they can eat will be reduced by 30% causing many lower division rikishi to run away.  This will force NSK to reduce or combine lower divisions.  Hattorizakura will finally get promoted to the 5th division, aptly named Jonokuchiden.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papers are hinting that the basho may happen, as everyone is healthy again..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

I have been seeing reports on a sumo facebook page that the Sumo wrestlers and the Oyakata with covid are all now out of the hospital. Is this true?

The 6 from Takadagawa-beya are out of hospital now, but the first unnamed low ranker is still treated there. http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200430/k10012412691000.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're smart, they'll isolate for a few more weeks, even if they are out of the hospital. I've heard this thing can be carried and spread for 20+ days after recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Nothing is decided yet, so I can't say anything. We don't know yet if the state of emergency will be extended, so we'd like to think this over carefully. If it does get extended, we don't know in what way , but what we decide will have influence locally and internationally , so we have to be sure we're doing the right thing.. " said Shibatayama, the Angel Murky of sumo.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"Nothing is decided yet, so I can't say anything. We don't know yet if the state of emergency will be extended, so we'd like to think this over carefully. If it does get extended, we don't know in what way , but what we decide will have influence locally and internationally , so we have to be sure we're doing the right thing.. " said Shibatayama, the Angel Murky of sumo.

If the state of emergency gets extended it makes their lives a bit easier since they don’t have to make the hard decision of whether to move on or not with the basho.

 

Safest bet is obviously to cancel it, but I wonder how long they can carry on without the income the basho (even with an empty arena) generate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"Nothing is decided yet, so I can't say anything. We don't know yet if the state of emergency will be extended, so we'd like to think this over carefully. If it does get extended, we don't know in what way , but what we decide will have influence locally and internationally , so we have to be sure we're doing the right thing.. " said Shibatayama, the Angel Murky of sumo.

"I can't" ... "We don't" ... aww hell, it's beyond parody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the likely extension of the state of emergency by the government, Shibatayama declared (by phone, as usual) that the NSK will act according to government request. The latest article now calls it extremely difficult to hold the Natsu basho (kiwamete kibishii - in the cases I know, that meant: no way it can be). https://hochi.news/articles/20200430-OHT1T50272.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gaijingai said:

Yes, so it’s in Abe’s hands and we should know soon. Maybe Abe will cut a deal with the NSK and we get another no-spectator basho. If they tested everyone, it could work, but a few folks have noted here. that nobody is training like there will be a basho. I’m not that optimistic, but I wonder what the mood is like among the oyakata crew...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NSK is waiting for the extension of  state of emergency tomorrow before canceling the May basho.   Why NSK held out this far tells me what kind of leadership it has.   Nagoya will likely happen given the NSK's "determination" to keep the show going.

Thread this long and subjective  will have a few bad posts here and there.   I vote for keeping it open with the mods doing what they do best - moderate.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

NSK is waiting for the extension of  state of emergency tomorrow before canceling the May basho.   Why NSK held out this far tells me what kind of leadership it has.   Nagoya will likely happen given the NSK's "determination" to keep the show going.

Thread this long and subjective  will have a few bad posts here and there.   I vote for keeping it open with the mods doing what they do best - moderate.  

 

Why wouldn’t they hold out this long though? Putting on a basho is easy for the NSK. There are no logistical problems to solve like with other sports. It uses a standard template so there’s no major planning required, all staff work within the Kyokai so there are no issues with hiring and firing, broadcast is all sorted, rikishi live nearby and always make their own to the venue, etc. The NSK could start a basho tomorrow if they wanted. Everything is in place and everyone knows what to do. I think it’s fine for them to hold out until the latest possible moment.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Why wouldn’t they hold out this long though? Putting on a basho is easy for the NSK. There are no logistical problems to solve like with other sports. It uses a standard template so there’s no major planning required, all staff work within the Kyokai so there are no issues with hiring and firing, broadcast is all sorted, rikishi live nearby and always make their own to the venue, etc. The NSK could start a basho tomorrow if they wanted. Everything is in place and everyone knows what to do. I think it’s fine for them to hold out until the latest possible moment.

This makes sense to me too. Once they cancel they can’t go back. But unlike other sports where hotels and flights need to be booked well in advance the NSK could wait until the last moment to decide and not have much to worry about. Outside of ticket sales that is, and it’s fairly safe to say we’ll see either an empty arena or no basho at all at this point.

Looking at everything and everyone involved there really isn’t any benefit for NSK to make a decision to cancel now even if everything looks like it points to that necessity. 

Edited by Katsunorifuji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Katsunorifuji said:

This makes sense to me too. Once they cancel they can’t go back. But unlike other sports where hotels and flights need to be booked well in advance the NSK could wait until the last moment to decide and not have much to worry about. Outside of ticket sales that is, and it’s fairly safe to say we’ll see either an empty arena or no basho at all at this point.

Looking at everything and everyone involved there really isn’t any benefit for NSK to make a decision to cancel now even if everything looks like it points to that necessity. 

Exactly. It’s a choice between no basho or spectator-less basho at this point, which negates needing to plan the only logistical challenges they ever face: tickets, venue security*, food and beverages. NHK takes care of broadcasting.

Basically, it’s a decision between staying at the heya or going to the kokugikan around the corner to do what they do all the time. Not much different really to my company making last minute decisions about work arrangements.
 

*Obviously there’d be some logistical concerns related to social distancing, perhaps for example changing the setup in the shitakubeya and cordons to keep away members of the public, but they have experience from March to draw on there.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Exactly. It’s a choice between no basho or spectator-less basho at this point, which negates needing to plan the only logistical challenges they ever face: tickets, venue security*, food and beverages. NHK takes care of broadcasting.

Basically, it’s a decision between staying at the heya or going to the kokugikan around the corner to do what they do all the time. Not much different really to my company making last minute decisions about work arrangements.
 

*Obviously there’d be some logistical concerns related to social distancing, perhaps for example changing the setup in the shitakubeya and cordons to keep away members of the public, but they have experience from March to draw on there.

One reason I can think of calling the cancellation early would be that it'd give rikishi more time to rest their injury rather than getting ready for a basho.   Another reason would be the popular sentiment.   I think it is heavily against holding the next basho.   These may be minor reasons.   I actually don't have strong feelings against or for this.  I have assumed long ago that there will be no May basho.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

One reason I can think of calling the cancellation early would be that it'd give rikishi more time to rest their injury rather than getting ready for a basho.   Another reason would be the popular sentiment.   I think it is heavily against holding the next basho.   These may be minor reasons.   I actually don't have strong feelings against or for this.  I have assumed long ago that there will be no May basho.   

True, but then one wonders whether they’d really get a rest anyway. I suspect they’d be doing keiko regardless, unless they have a doctor’s note that says they can go kyujo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final decision on May 4th (tomorrow, may the fourth be with you, to paraphrase..), says Shibatayama.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Final decision on May 4th (tomorrow, may the fourth be with you, to paraphrase..), says Shibatayama.

May the force be with the Kyokai to find the right decision...*cough*cancel*cough*

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It goes towards canceling the basho, according to talk  by several authorized persons. The state of emergency going to be extended till the 31st is a major reason. A special rotation rjikai will be held by phone (etc.) to finalize the decision on that forcefully forthcoming May the fourth (it already arrived in Japan) http://www.daily.co.jp/society/main/2020/05/03/0013317696.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

State of emergency extended. Pretty much rules out the basho then.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The May basho if canceled.   I am shocked!   Shocked!   ;-)

Hopefully, we will have the Nagoya basho (in Tokyo?).

Edited by robnplunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now