Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

35 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Takadagawa Oyakata (diagnosed on the 23rd) and Hakuyouzan from Juryo (diagnosed on the 24th), plus 4 more rikishi, heyas not specified. All in hospital.

Hakuyouzan is in Takadagawa Beya so we know at least 2 of the 6 are in the same Heya.  I hope Ryuden & Kagayaki are okay.  They are also in Takadagawa Beya.  (NOT trying to start any rumors)!!  In this link, you may have to scroll down to Takadagawa Beya (see left column.  http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2020/2020.html

It does not matter who and where.   This is bad.  :-(

• Like 1

I also believe the basho would be held. Nothing is in their minds so severe to cancel a tournament. And the whole organization needs the money. Haru 2011 was called off not due to the earthquake but due to the yaocho scandal. 1995 Hatsu was not interrupted after the earthquake in Kobe. Nothing would stop them. When you have 100 plus only tests in Tokyo, it is hard to detect infected people as well. 

39 minutes ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

I also believe the basho would be held. Nothing is in their minds so severe to cancel a tournament. And the whole organization needs the money. Haru 2011 was called off not due to the earthquake but due to the yaocho scandal. 1995 Hatsu was not interrupted after the earthquake in Kobe. Nothing would stop them. When you have 100 plus only tests in Tokyo, it is hard to detect infected people as well. 

I am now willing to bet the farm that there will be no basho in May. Any takers? Stakers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I am now willing to bet the farm that there will be no basho in May. Any takers? Stakers?

In this situation...who cares? Rain in may is far more important now.

Edited by Benihana

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

No to both takers and Stakers..

Edited by Kishinoyama

On 25/04/2020 at 08:49, Kintamayama said:

Hakuyouzan from Juryo (diagnosed on the 24th), 

Has diabetes but no fever, no symptoms whatsoever, tested positive.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Farm or no farm, I am especially sad.  Today I received my May guide for TV Japan.  In it is the complete schedule for the May Basho LIKE EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!!  I realize that they have to go to press ahead of time but still, it felt like salt being rubbed into an open wound.............

6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

If they stay home for the next 10 days during the golden week break, we may  just have Nagoya Basho albeit on TV only.  That's the optimist in me saying.   Don't ask the pessimist in me.  

Even if there is recovery within the sumo community, I think the main issue with the Nagoya Basho is the movement of hundreds of people from Tokyo to Nagoya. This opens the stables and rikishi, as well as the broadcasters and other services facilitating the move (transport, lodgings, supporters, etc) to the potential spread of whatever remains of the COVID-19 outbreak in July. 

I think the most logical outcome is that Natsu is cancelled because of the health issues within the sumo community, that Nagoya is cancelled because of the risks to all parties because of travel, and that the September basho is the one that the NSK targets for getting back to normal, assuming that the COVID-19 situation is more contained and that there are no current or recent outbreaks within the sumo community at that time. Whether the September basho is held with audiences or not will depend on the general situation in Japan and consideration of the likely risks if there were spectators present.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sasanishiki said:

I think the most logical outcome is that Natsu is cancelled because of the health issues within the sumo community, that Nagoya is cancelled because of the risks to all parties because of travel...

...or that the July basho will be moved to the Kokugikan.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sasanishiki said:

Even if there is recovery within the sumo community, I think the main issue with the Nagoya Basho is the movement of hundreds of people from Tokyo to Nagoya. This opens the stables and rikishi, as well as the broadcasters and other services facilitating the move (transport, lodgings, supporters, etc) to the potential spread of whatever remains of the COVID-19 outbreak in July. 

I think the most logical outcome is that Natsu is cancelled because of the health issues within the sumo community, that Nagoya is cancelled because of the risks to all parties because of travel, and that the September basho is the one that the NSK targets for getting back to normal, assuming that the COVID-19 situation is more contained and that there are no current or recent outbreaks within the sumo community at that time. Whether the September basho is held with audiences or not will depend on the general situation in Japan and consideration of the likely risks if there were spectators present.

I understand what you are saying.

More immediately, although vast majority of people are staying home in the two week long holiday break (aka Golden Week), tens of thousands of people are  still traveling.   For instance, 60000 people are slated to visit Okinawa during the GW.   The Okinawa's government official is pleading them to cancel the visit.  That's just one prefecture.    Probably, hundreds of thousands will be traveling all over Japan.   What would be the impact of the GW in 2 weeks?  IMHO,  how Japan and its people do in the GW break will decide if we will have a Nagoya Basho or not.    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Farm or no farm, I am especially sad.  Today I received my May guide for TV Japan.  In it is the complete schedule for the May Basho LIKE EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!!  I realize that they have to go to press ahead of time but still, it felt like salt being rubbed into an open wound.............

Nothing shocking here. Since the basho is not cancelled (yet?), there is no reason not to put it on TV schedules...

On 26/04/2020 at 16:26, Kintamayama said:

Ok Moti-zeki, I am down. I'll see your farm and raise you a mango sorbet [and you won't even have to run to your freezer for it! ((reference to a post you made in 2015))] that the May basho will take place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adil said:

Ok Moti-zeki, I am down. I'll see your farm and raise you a mango sorbet [and you won't even have to run to your freezer for it! ((reference to a post you made in 2015))] that the May basho will take place.

Yes, it can in 2021.  

On 26/04/2020 at 16:56, sumojoann said:

I received my copy a couple of days ago and the Natsu basho was listed as beginning on Sunday 5/24, as currently scheduled. It probably wll be canceled, but the current TV Japan scheduling seems to be correct, at least as of  this moment.

6 hours ago, sekitori said:

I received my copy a couple of days ago and the Natsu basho was listed as beginning on Sunday 5/24, as currently scheduled. It probably wll be canceled, but the current TV Japan scheduling seems to be correct, at least as of  this moment.

Yes, mine also says 5/24 for the start date.  I am certain the basho will be cancelled.  Normally I am very excited to get the TV Japan guide for the upcoming month when there is a basho scheduled.  Seeing it in the guide increases my anticipation.  Because I am so convinced it will be cancelled, seeing it this time just made me sad.  If I am wrong, I will be out dancing in the street!

• Sad 1

I've read one article (I thought it's John Gunning's) about banzuke making. The basho will not be cancelled after the banzuke is out.

But, we have to see about this COVID circumstances

1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

I've read one article (I thought it's John Gunning's) about banzuke making. The basho will not be cancelled after the banzuke is out.

But, we have to see about this COVID circumstances

The current state of emergency will most likely be extended to cover most of May.   I think it will force NSK to further delay the May Basho or cancel it.  

I've also heard that they can't cancel the show if it is on the TV guide.  ;-)   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, code_number3 said:

I’ve definitely never written that.

Personally I don’t expect to see ANY sport in 2020.

4 hours ago, John Gunning said:

I’ve definitely never written that.

Personally I don’t expect to see ANY sport in 2020.

(Oops!)  Sorry John, I thought it was yours.

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I will watch anything.  Right now, I am watching my grass grow in my front yard.

Some EU leagues will start soon.  Korea will have football, golf, baseball leagues open in May but without spectators.   I will be watching those. 

Also looking at some countries preparing to restart their league season, I’m afraid it will make another wave of coronavirus. FIFA’s chief doctor said about it’s better to prepare for next season rather than restarting this season

And Lol the Japan tv guide (Laughing...)

Sumo feels impact of COVID-19 but escapes major financial hit plaguing other sports

Sumo’s bi-monthly nature may have exempted it from the financial pressures that are hitting other sports hard, but the ongoing pandemic is still having an impact on the sport.

A spectator-less tournament in March was, of course, the most notable enforced change, but there have been others.

One came this week with the release of the banzuke (rankings) for the Summer Grand Sumo Tournament...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/04/29/sumo/sumo-feels-impact-covid-19-escapes-major-financial-hit-plaguing-sports/

• Like 1

Shibatayama announced that it gets time to take some action - no details given about in which direction.

None of the 7 ill NSK members has been reported to have left hospital. http://hochi.news/articles/20200429-OHT1T50293.html

Nikkan-Gendai speculates about pay cuts. After 1 billion yen less income for the NSK for Haru, at least 1.5 less billion is to expected for Natsu, if the basho is canceled and the 500 million yen from NHK also vanish. Among the oyakata there are some who think that pay reduction has to come. http://www.nikkan-gendai.com/articles/view/sports/272584

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Shibatayama announced that it gets time to take some action - no details given about in which direction.

None of the 7 ill NSK members has been reported to have left hospital. http://hochi.news/articles/20200429-OHT1T50293.html

Nikkan-Gendai speculates about pay cuts. After 1 billion yen less income for the NSK for Haru, at least 1.5 less billion is to expected for Natsu, if the basho is canceled and the 500 million yen from NHK also vanish. Among the oyakata there are some who think that pay reduction has to come. http://www.nikkan-gendai.com/articles/view/sports/272584

The only question is how deep is the cut and how long it will last.  

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Pay cuts, huh? The guys from Jonokuchi to Makushita are like, “Go on then. Bring it on. I dares ya!”