Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

The banzuke for Natsu is scheduled to be released on Monday. Will it still be released then, or will it wait until two weeks before the revised date? (And possibly not happen if there's a cancellation.)

Finally, some good news on Japan's COVID 19 fight ...

• It appears Japan has passed the peak when it comes to the new infection rate.
  • More prefectures are increasing testing capacity, adopting drive through, etc..

If the trend continues, sumo may return in the summer.

24 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

If the trend continues, sumo may return in the summer.

May basho is summer basho. I guess you mean Nagoya. As for cancellation, May may, but May may not (even if it seems unlikely or unreasonable...). Unless they are constrained by law, I can very much see the NSK guys trying to push for the basho to happen.

1 minute ago, Nantonoyama said:

May basho is summer basho. I guess you mean Nagoya. As for cancellation, May may, but May may not (even if it seems unlikely or unreasonable...). Unless they are constrained by law, I can very much see the NSK guys trying to push for the basho to happen.

Yes, I meant Nagoya.  Thanks.

If NSK decides to hold the May basho, that'd be against Japan's current climate.   If they can pull it off, that will lift Japan's spirit.   If they fail, ouch.

5 hours ago, Sue said:

The banzuke for Natsu is scheduled to be released on Monday. Will it still be released then, or will it wait until two weeks before the revised date? (And possibly not happen if there's a cancellation.)

Will be released according to plan.

• Like 1

Incidentally, after the longest ever period of there being no professional boxing, a pro card is finally scheduled again to take place this week in Nicaragua. I think that country has been pretty lax with precautions though. 

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

After the 2 weeks waiting period since one rikishi tested positive for Corona, Shibatayama announced that no other from the heya is known to be infected. Keiko could resume. http://www.sankei.com/life/news/200422/lif2004220086-n1.html

Quite a murky report. "I haven't heard of anyone else getting infected, but I have no idea if the infected guy is still in the hospital or what the situation at the heya is at the moment. They should do keiko , but continue to do so very carefully, like two porcupines making love" said Shibatayama (he did not say the porcupine thing, but it would have been cool if he did..). No butsugari is allowed at any heya, but what, then, is?  "It's difficult to just rely on the fundamentals.. It's going to be up to the various Oyakata to decide  how exactly  the keiko sessions will go.." summed Shibatayama. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Quite a murky report. "I haven't heard of anyone else getting infected, but I have no idea if the infected guy is still in the hospital or what the situation at the heya is at the moment. They should do keiko , but continue to do so very carefully, like two porcupines making love" said Shibatayama (he did not say the porcupine thing, but it would have been cool if he did..). No butsugari is allowed at any heya, but what, then, is?  "It's difficult to just rely on the fundamentals.. It's going to be up to the various Oyakata to decide  how exactly  the keiko sessions will go.." summed Shibatayama. 

Which beya is doing what in terms of getting ready for the May basho?   Some may be working just as hard.   Others may be following the NSK direction.   If the May basho does happen, we will know who has been cheating ... ;-)    Two porcupines making love?   I am leaving this site to check it out on Youtube.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Did Shibatayama-sensei explain scientifically, with charts, the key virological differences between keiko and butsugari?

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Did Shibatayama-sensei explain scientifically, with charts, the key virological differences between keiko and butsugari?

No, but he means no butsugari- the rest- porcupine mode.

IMHO, how soon we will see sumo depends on whether Japanese population stay home or not in the coming golden week.   

A 2nd or more NSK members in one heya are in bad physical condition - maybe a rikishi, maybe an urakata, maybe one, maybe more, maybe THE heya, maybe another, maybe THE virus, maybe not. Shibt. as usual knows nothing, but that for sure. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202004240000725.html

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

A 2nd or more NSK members in one heya are in bad physical condition - maybe a rikishi, maybe an urakata, maybe one, maybe more, maybe THE heya, maybe another, maybe THE virus, maybe not. Shibt. as usual knows nothing, but that for sure. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202004240000725.html

That's a bad (expected) news.  Inability to taste or smell are symptoms limited to COVID 19.  So, yeah, I'd say they need to be tested and treated.  

What is NSK going to do now?  Implement more restrictions?   They need to shift their attention to saving the Nagoya basho.

Edited by robnplunder

Posted (edited)
On 23/04/2020 at 12:44, Otokonoyama said:

A new sumo channel on YouTube to with some interesting vids to view during the downtime: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISYskLTP74A4EcsalmTH2Q

I'm sure that the video of the fight between Takahanada and Chiyonofuji is a copy of the video from my Sumo channel... 

And maybe some others videos are create from videos from my channel.... 

I'm not "really" the owner of my videos (all my videos were create more than 10 years ago with sumo dvds i bought online), so i think i can't talk to YouTube about copyright... But at least the owner of this new channel could write that he create a video or more with videos from others channels ;) 

NB : COVID19 effect.... +75% more views in the last 3 months for my channel ! 

Edited by Kaiomitsuki

2 hours ago, Kaiomitsuki said:

I'm not "really" the owner of my videos (all my videos were create more than 10 years ago with sumo dvds i bought online), so i think i can't talk to YouTube about copyright... But at least the owner of this new channel could write that he create a video or more with videos from others channels ;) 

Errm... or he could have just bought the same DVDs.

I started watching one video on this channel (don't remember which one).  It started with The video and graphics from NattoSumo's channel and the commentary from Chris Gould's..  I usually enjoy seeing new sumo content, but this just seems to be someone mashing bits and pieces from others work and calling it his own.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Washuyama said:

I started watching one video on this channel (don't remember which one).  It started with The video and graphics from NattoSumo's channel and the commentary from Chris Gould's..  I usually enjoy seeing new sumo content, but this just seems to be someone mashing bits and pieces from others work and calling it his own.

Famous saying in Hebrew- הגונב מגנב פטור

Someone stealing from a thief is exempt from punishment.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Another person down. Shibatayama Oyakata has admitted that another person has maybe been infected at a heya. "I have no idea if it's a rikishi or more or one of the attached people, but we have someone ill.. I don't know if it's Corona or not at this point so I can't answer to that. Corona or just a fever or what.. I have instructed all heya to notify me when someone has the symptoms of fatigue or fever or a cough or the loss of sense of taste or smell, so there's a chance he might have the virus.." summed Shibatayama, in his traditionally murky fashion.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200425-04250112-sph-spo

It is now up to 6 infected including Hakuhozan in juryo and an oyakata if I read the google translation right.   

Takadagawa Oyakata (diagnosed on the 23rd) and Hakuyouzan from Juryo (diagnosed on the 24th), plus 4 more rikishi, heyas not specified. All in hospital.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3