Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Takakeisho in 2020 - youngest in Manouchi for the fourth year running

Takakeisho in 2020  

25 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will be Takakeisho's rank on the January 2021 banzuke?

• Yokozuna
    • Ozeki
    • Sekiwake
    • Komusubi
    • M1 or lower
    • He will not be ranked on the January 2021 banzuke
  2. 2. What will be Takakeisho's longest winning streak in 2020? (He already has a concluded winning streak of 6 from the January basho) - may include fusensho wins, but does not include any yusho play-offs...

3. 3. How many yushos and jun-yushos combined will Takakeisho win in 2020? (He didn't get either in the January basho, so a maximum possible of 5)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/20 at 23:59

Takakeisho began his Makunouchi career in January 2017.  He began his sanyaku career in January 2018.  He won his first ever yusho in November 2018. He became an Ozeki (twice!) in 2019.

He is currently the youngest rikishi currently in Makunouchi - although Takagenji took the record from him for a while in 2019, and there are four rikishi in total in Juryo that are younger than the Ozeki.

How will this young man (aged 23) do in 2020?

Please expand on your votes in the comments below.

Previous Takakeisho polls:

Yay, glad to see your annual polls return!

Seems pretty safe to say he will be ozeki. I think there may be a lull after the current yokozunas retire before Takakeisho or others get promoted up.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Takakeisho win multiple yusho but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t win any. He seems to be the best guy out there every tournament, but loses some matches to people you wouldn’t expect. Based on that I voted two yushos. But I have no idea who wins the other three remaining.

I also think he is a safe lock to stay Ozeki this full year. He is clearly the only guy you would expect to make a run at Yokozuna this year, and with the changing of the guard at the top of the banzuke maybe makes it, but I think his inconsistency holds him back this year. 

I agree entirely with Katsunorifuji.  

I think elsewhere I came down on the other side of the poll, but it depends in part on the mongloian yokozunae--if they keep turning up sometimes and taking the yusho, it's going to be much harder for another contender.  When they retire/start missing consecutive tournaments, I think he makes it.

I believe Yokozuna will be for later. Ozeki this year, provided there are no injuries which no one can predict. 

He'll be yokozuna and in the running for the Yusho most of the time.  The herd is thinning out and he's the last standing. It will take most of the year for the younger guys to catch him on average.

Ozeki this year - possibly Yokozuna in early 2021.

Only two jun-yushos, and no yushos.

Longest streak? Just the 8.

Will remain ozeki. 1 yusho and 2 jun-yusho. 13 match win streak

He will remain ozeki, 1 Y, 2 JY and 11 as his longest streak

Most of us think that Takakeisho will keep his current rank of Ozeki, but there is a sizeable majority that think that his will be his tsuna year. We think that he will be a serious yusho contender for half of the bashos.