Itachiyama

Sasanishiki

Zeokage

Vikanohara

Kaiguma

Gusoyama

Harry

and probably others..

All high profile posters who have faded out with the years..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hoshifransu lives near Bordeaux F and writes something from time to time in the French Sumo Forum (Info-Sumo), the last time in February 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It makes me wonder a little, when I see in the "Today's Birthdays" section that someone is 112 years old.  Maybe we missed their obit?

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

It makes me wonder a little, when I see in the "Today's Birthdays" section that someone is 112 years old.  Maybe we missed their obit?

I wouldn't take the age that's listed too seriously.  Last year, there was someone in "Today's Birthdays" whose age was listed as 104.  I posted PUBLICLY an effusive congratulations and said that as an "elder", we should listen to their "wisdom", that sort of thing.  Well, as it turned out, they were nowhere near being 104 & I felt a little foolish.  So take any age listed with a grain of salt!

As far as the "missing"  people on the list, has any thought been given to sending them a private message to see if there is a response?

On 10/02/2020 at 14:51, Kintamayama said:

Does anyone know what's with :

Zentoryu

Hoshifuransu

Kotoseiya

Yoavoshimaru

Yubiquitoyama

Madorosumaru

Peterao

Itachiyama

Sasanishiki

Zeokage

Vikanohara

Kaiguma

Gusoyama

Harry

and probably others..

All high profile posters who have faded out with the years..

Kintamayama, I believe I have tracked down Kaiguma in Ashville, North Carolina.  His name is Jeremiah and he is a carpenter there.  I found his email address and have written him an email letting him know that you are looking for him.  I sent him the link to your post and asked him to contact either me or you.

*************** IMPORTANT *************** To anyone who feels I have done something  "super creepy" by giving out Kaiguma's name and the city & state to which he moved,  please reread the last paragraph in my next post below.  (I do not know how to do multi-quotes).  On March 6, 2012, Kaiguma posted PUBLICLY that he was moving to Ashville, North Carolina.  If you click on that post, you will see a link to his Blog.  Kaiguma posted the link PUBLICLY.  He even wrote "see my work" above the link, thus inviting ANYONE to click on the link.  If you click on the link, his name, occupation and email address are clearly shown.  I would never post private information about anyone.  In this case, it was not private. *****************************************

Edited by sumojoann
Add important info.

Kintamayama,

I also sent a PM to Kaiguma (see above post).  For anyone who wants to send a private message through Sumo Forum, do the following ---

1) Type (for example) Kaiguma in search box at the top of the screen, but do NOT hit Search.
2) Click on "More Options"
3) Click on "Members".
4) Hit Search (next to Kaiguma's name).
5) Click on Kaiguma's photo.
6) Click on "Message".
7) Send message.

You will see that the last time Kaiguma posted was March 8, 2012.  On March 6, he posted that he was moving to Ashville, North Carolina. If you click on that post, you will see a link to his Blog with his email address.  That's how I found him!  (I always wanted to be a Private I, but I settled for being a genealogist)!!

If anyone on this list is lurking, they should respond to a private message.

Edited by sumojoann
Add more info

i was just wondring alouud. Out of curiosity. most of these people were pretty heavy contributors, then they seem to have stopped suddenly..

When Asashoryu was forced to retire Madorosumaru wrote a sayonara post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

i was just wondring alouud. Out of curiosity. most of these people were pretty heavy contributors, then they seem to have stopped suddenly..

When I researched Kaiguma and Gusoyama, I wasn't paying too much attention to the nature of their posts, but without going back to double-check , I think that Gusoyama at least was VERY involved with organizing some of the games.  That's very time-consuming and I imagine that there comes a point where a person could get burned out, lose interest or experience a major life event that could cause them to radically curtail or stop  their involvement with a sport or other activity.  A major life event could consist of marriage, birth of a child, divorce, starting a new job, getting fired, starting college, graduating, accident, health issues and of course death.  It could be any number of reasons.

In the case of Kaiguma, right before he stopped posting, he moved to South Carolina.  And just a few months earlier,, he started a Blog about his experiences of being a carpenter. 

In Gusoyama's case, the email listed on his page and in some of the posts no longer works, and for some reason, he "cannot receive messages" on Sumo Forum.  He's still listed as "Active" but his last day visited was July 18, 2017.

Kintamayama, others are probably curious, too, about what became of these posters.  I know I am!

@sumojoann, can you please not post personal information that people haven't explicitly made public?  It's super creepy to do in a public forum like this.  In parituclar, don't post information that can track someone down IRL--'they moved to south carolina' is probably fine, but 'they live in this town and are named this' is over my personal comfort line.  

16 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Kintamayama, I believe I have tracked down Kaiguma in Ashville, North Carolina.  His name is Jeremiah and he is a carpenter there.  I found his email address and have written him an email letting him know that you are looking for him.  I sent him the link to your post and asked him to contact either me or you.

*************** IMPORTANT *************** To anyone who feels I have done something  "super creepy" by giving out Kaiguma's name and the city & state to which he moved,  please reread the last paragraph in my next post below.  (I do not know how to do multi-quotes).  On March 6, 2012, Kaiguma posted PUBLICLY that he was moving to Ashville, North Carolina.  If you click on that post, you will see a link to his Blog.  Kaiguma posted the link PUBLICLY.  He even wrote "see my work" above the link, thus inviting ANYONE to click on the link.  If you click on the link, his name, occupation and email address are clearly shown.  I would never post private information about anyone.  In this case, it was not private. *****************************************

Ryoshishokunin, I edited my post (please read).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

@sumojoann, can you please not post personal information that people haven't explicitly made public?  It's super creepy to do in a public forum like this.  In parituclar, don't post information that can track someone down IRL--'they moved to south carolina' is probably fine, but 'they live in this town and are named this' is over my personal comfort line.  

Ryoshishokunin, I edited my post.  Please read it carefully.

Wow, this is creepy.

Since I stumbled last summer into Dota 2 (some E-sports thing, don't ask) as another binge watching pasttime, I have also turned certain obsessions into stalker like behavior. During that I was, for instance, able to localize one prominent (and rich) player's parents' house on google maps with the help of some promotional footage and some creativity with data. I freaked myself out doing that.

But I would never post such stuff.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sumojoann said:

5 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Wow, this is creepy.

Since I stumbled last summer into Dota 2 (some E-sports thing, don't ask) as another binge watching pasttime, I have also turned certain obsessions into stalker like behavior. During that I was, for instance, able to localize one prominent (and rich) player's parents' house on google maps with the help of some promotional footage and some creativity with data. I freaked myself out doing that.

But I would never post such stuff.

Yorikiried by fate ------ It is APPARENT that you did NOT read what I wrote!!  All of this information was already posted PUBLICLY by Kaiguma, the ORIGINAL POSTER.  I already explained this to someone else.  I shouldn't have to keep explaining the same thing.  I did NOT do anything "creepy" or "super creepy" or "stalker-like."  Read carefully before you hop, skip & jump to erroneous conclusions.

Edited by sumojoann
Add info.
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 23:50, Kintamayama said:

Given the average age of sumo fans, I'd guess a few of these folks have probably passed. But folks move through phases in life and on social media, so hopefully most of them are having a wonderful time watching college basketball or cricket. And some folks are more cyclic, so maybe you'll see them back here again. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sumojoann said:

I did NOT do anything "creepy" or "super creepy" or "stalker-like."  Read carefully before you hop, skip & jump to erroneous conclusions.

You know what: You are right. I apologize. Everything that's been said and the way it has been said in this thread is super normal.

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2020 at 21:49, yorikiried by fate said:

Since I stumbled last summer into Dota 2 (some E-sports thing, don't ask) as another binge watching pasttime,

Do you play it?  I tried, but after years of league of legends i could not get used to the idea of some spells being so long-range, they can hit you from Mars.

On 16/03/2020 at 14:20, Bugman said:

Do you play it?  I tried, but after years of league of legends i could not get used to the idea of some spells being so long-range, they can hit you from Mars.

No, no. I would never be able to achieve anything in such a stressful game. I'm too slow to play FIFA against drunk potheads. Or at least used to. Now I am additionally old(er). For me it was just a new chapter in watching weird but genuinly captivating activity of others. If you want, a variation of why I started watching sumo at another time. The only weird sport that I enjoyed watching and playing myself was snooker.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 15:51, Kintamayama said:

Does anyone know what's with :

Zentoryu

I'm still here. I don't have the want or desire to post anymore, but I still frequent the forum (almost daily during the basho, not so much in between). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zentoryu said:

I'm still here. I don't have the want or desire to post anymore, but I still frequent the forum (almost daily during the basho, not so much in between). 

Excellent!!

I think Yoavoshimaru and Kotoseiya announced their departure and general  loss of interest in Sumo on the forum.