Akinomaki

Miyagino/Hakuho extra activities

5 hours ago, Gurowake said:

The main issue would be if he knew the proper mechanics.  I didn't learn how to throw a baseball correctly until I was in high school, despite having played for many years.  And when I went back to see my high school play many years later, several members of the team made the same mistake that I was making before high school.  The proper way to snap your wrist to get the most zip is a bit unintuitive, and most people just push the ball instead.

How hard is it to pick up the right technique? 

On 05/07/2022 at 15:03, Kintamayama said:

Magaki - Hakuhou will be throwing the ceremonial first pitch at the Tokyo dome at the Giants -Yakult game on July 7th, two days from now. This will be the first time in 14 years that such a ceremony occurs at the Tokyo Dome. "I'm really nervous," quipped MH. He has already done that back in 2008 in the opener between the Giants and the Dragons and has been identified as a Giants fan. He threw a 120 kph pitch for a perfect strike back then. "I wanna do that again," he said back then when he was 23 years old. Now he will..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I don't know, that was a long time ago.  I do know that we practiced the mechanics quite a lot before we really started throwing for distance, including various drills that emphasize different parts of the movement, but I don't recall over what time period we did it, or how fast I was able to learn.  I know at least one friend of mine washed out since he never was able to pick it up, but I think he wasn't particularly committed to the idea of playing baseball in high school once he saw how much work it would be (our school was small enough that everyone who wanted to be on the team could be - there weren't even close to enough people interested to get a JV team).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

It's one of those things you can academically learn the basics of in an afternoon, and then spend years perfecting the physical motion of doing. That might get you onto a college team.

Edited by Churaumi
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

All the bruhaha for this??

Yeah, quite easy to score a strike with no batter around.

8 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Yeah, quite easy to score a strike with no batter around.

And from three feet away..

Is that how a ceremonial pitch looks like, or was it a custom event given the number of big names around? Doesn't seem like some of the ceremonial first pitches I've seen e.g. Mitakeumi do previously.

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Is that how a ceremonial pitch looks like, or was it a custom event given the number of big names around? Doesn't seem like some of the ceremonial first pitches I've seen e.g. Mitakeumi do previously.

Part of the "Tokyo Unite" movement- sports stars from all Tokyo teams from all kinds of sports come together- I don't know why ex-Hakuhou was regarded as a "Tokyo thing" but that's beside the point.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Part of the "Tokyo Unite" movement- sports stars from all Tokyo teams from all kinds of sports come together- I don't know why ex-Hakuhou was regarded as a "Tokyo thing" but that's beside the point.

The NSK has just started a cooperation with this Tokyo Unite movement, with13 other teams and sports organizations - the press conference was on the 7th. Doing something for the development of sports in Tokyo, especially events for kids: Magaki with his Hakuho cup is a front-runner in that.

Hakkaku at the press conference, Kosuke Kitajima as the central figure in this

20220707-OHT1I51235-N.jpgo202207070000890-w200_0.jpgo AS20220707002451_commL.jpgo 20220707-OHT1I51218-N.jpgo

Magaki with Kosuke Kitajima and 12 others, one each for the 14 members of Tokyo Unite

202207070001069-w200_5.jpgo b_15449326.jpgo20220707-OHT1I51418-N.jpgo202207070001069-w200_1.jpgo

20220707-OHT1I51417-N.jpgo20220707-OYT1I50133-1.jpg?type=mediumo b_15449444.jpgo  202207070000771-w200_1.jpgo 202207070001069-w200_4.jpgo

202207070000771-w200_0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It was time to adjust the title. Usually mainly still referred to as Hakuho, he appears frequently in the entertainment news, because  actresses and other celebrities post pictures with him on their Instagram, this month already 3.

Today Yoshida Saori

20220813-OHT1I51003-L.jpgo

a few day ago Manda Hisako - she thinks he's so cute she'd want to eat him, and surely get the stomach filled

202208110001407-w200_0.jpgo

Earlier this month Kanda Uno - at a party celebrating the birthday of his wife

202208040000624-w200_0.jpgo

In June Kichise Michiko

20220618-OHT1I51203-N.jpgo

This thread is for extra activities, but let's avoid a discussion about extra-what we might think

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

... let's avoid a discussion about extra-what we might think

Honi soit qui mal y pense, as they say.

Can't say I'd hold it against him, though...

• Haha 2

Is it me, or is Miyagino Oyakata already starting to slim down quite a bit from his fighting days?

48 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Is it me, or is Miyagino Oyakata already starting to slim down quite a bit from his fighting days?

Not really, it is just the illusion from close fitting clothes compared to yukata & hakama.

7 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Honi soit qui mal y pense, as they say.

Can't say I'd hold it against him, though...

Off topic, but I'd be very interested to know how many people got this reference (Laughing...)

• Like 1

I see Miyagino quite popular with the kūgāzu.

9 minutes ago, junsan said:

I see Miyagino quite popular with the kūgāzu.

I know what kudzu is but I've never heard of kugazu, at least not in my neck of the woods.

11 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Off topic, but I'd be very interested to know how many people got this reference (Laughing...)

I would say "Yes", but Akinomaki told us not to clutter the thread with extraneous discussion ... D'oh!

14 hours ago, rhyen said:
15 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Not really, it is just the illusion from close fitting clothes compared to yukata & hakama.

He needs to maintain weight till next October (IIRC) as you need a certain girth to wear the tsuna properly, at least that's what Isegahama said when he did his kanreki. I imagine waiting till then to lose weight is easier (and healthier) than shedding it all then putting it back then shedding it again.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Kuugaazu = cougars, I'm guessing. :-P Saying it out loud always helps.

(A usually mature female sexual predator hunting for younger men, in case some of you aren't familiar with the term.)

Edited by Koorifuu
  • Like 2

On 10/09/2022 at 16:55, Akinomaki said:

After Nishonoseki, who writes columns for Sponichi and Nikkei shimbun, Miyagino now joins Oguruma as sports commentator for Hochi shimbun.

Hak started his column with a piece on the Ichinojo bout for day 1 and one on Asanoyama-Kawazoe for day 2 https://hochi.news/articles/20220912-OHT1T51206.html?page=1

- Nishonoseki wrote about out-boxer Tobizaru for that day https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/09/13/kiji/20220913s00005000063000c.html

- also Oguruma, Tamanoi and Fujishima, who writes for sanspo, picked that bout vs. Terunofuji

I think Miyagino is the first foreign born oyakata to write a regular column in Japanese for a national paper

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1