Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Toyonoshima Soldiering On

I was sure there is a Toyonoshima thread in this forum but I have been unable to find it, so I'll post here.

Toyonoshima has declared his intention to continue behind the curtain for March. As we all know, he finished 4-11 at J11 which is guaranteed to be dropping him back down to the lower ranks. On senshuraku he made a statement to reporters saying "I've done all I can," while looking back feeling that there was a 90% chance that he was going to retire. However it was his 7 year daughter's plea with her father to carry on, as she is well aware that he will lose his salaried status if he continues. "I'll lend you money!" she said with tears in her eyes.

His wife also reminded him that he has not had a rematch with his number one rival Kotoshogiku, and asked if he would be satisfied with leaving the dohyo before one last match with the former ozeki. "On senshuraku, I was thinking if I got back onto the dohyo, then I would be would really be expressing a strong will. I know I ran out of will power once, but I want to become a stronger person again. If I quit now I'll be asking 'what if?' I'll go out and prepare one last time, and if I have a losing record in Osaka, then that is that." Expressing his resolve to go for it one last time in the Osaka basho.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202002010000293.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Toyonoshima is a curious case. Years ago he was listed as having a kabu, since before his major injury this information has vanished without much in the way of an explanation. That might explain why he is still there when anyone else in a similar condition (former sekiwake, age 36, back in makushita after a long second rise...) would have called it quits, but maybe he has found another one.

4 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I was sure there is a Toyonoshima thread in this forum but I have been unable to find it, so I'll post here.

You may have been thinking of this thread:

But considering the (possible) new comeback now has nothing to do with injury, I think it's fine as a new thread. (Although it might morph into his intai thread in two months...)

31 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Toyonoshima is a curious case. Years ago he was listed as having a kabu, since before his major injury this information has vanished without much in the way of an explanation.

Yeah, that's getting really quite puzzling. Takekuma - whose last holder was in the same stable! - is the latest share I was absolutely certain would end up in Toyonoshima's hands, but it's now gone to Goeido of course.

I've pretty much given up trying to guess what's going on there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Yeah, that's getting really quite puzzling. Takekuma - whose last holder was in the same stable! - is the latest share I was absolutely certain would end up in Toyonoshima's hands, but it's now gone to Goeido of course.

I do wonder whether ex-Zaonishiki was the true owner of Takekuma - considering he had to borrow seven myoseki over the previous three decades, I was surprised when he suddenly became the owner of one. Perhaps it was a necessary fiction in order for him to obtain the five-year consultancy position (even if he ended up retiring early from that). Maybe ex-Kurohimeyama was still pulling the strings, or maybe Goeido was in control already, which reminds me that Kurohimeyama's grandson did join Sakaigawa-beya... Too much wonder, perhaps and maybe for my liking!

As for Toyonoshima, I had him as a wildcard pick to take over Arashio-beya, but that was before Sokokurai obtained his citizenship.

• Like 2

Whilst I hope that it is kabu issues keeping Toyonoshima on the dohyo (rather than acceding to the wishes of his daughter, who should be firmly told, "Now, now, darling. Daddy's too old and knackered to carry on."), it is a bit concerning that he hasn't been able to secure his future already. 

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

51 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

I do wonder whether ex-Zaonishiki was the true owner of Takekuma - considering he had to borrow seven myoseki over the previous three decades, I was surprised when he suddenly became the owner of one. Perhaps it was a necessary fiction in order for him to obtain the five-year consultancy position (even if he ended up retiring early from that). Maybe ex-Kurohimeyama was still pulling the strings, or maybe Goeido was in control already, which reminds me that Kurohimeyama's grandson did join Sakaigawa-beya... Too much wonder, perhaps and maybe for my liking!

As for Toyonoshima, I had him as a wildcard pick to take over Arashio-beya, but that was before Sokokurai obtained his citizenship.

Interesting guess regarding the Goeido-Kurohimeyama-Sakaigawa connection. :-) Would make perfect sense to me.

The Toyonoshima situation leaves me puzzled as well. You have speculated about the Magaki share in the past (Tosayutaka only being the loaner and Toyonoshima the owner) and it seems to be the only plausbile scenario left. http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/12380-latest-kabu-babu-changes/?page=32

Eventhough listed as the owner, we can't be 100% certain that Tosayutaka is indeed the owner of the share.

Magaki aside, perhaps Toyonoshima has something else in the making or simply can't afford to buy a share at the moment (money problems?? - but that's pure speculation).

Having finished with a 2-5 record, it is obvious he will not be back in the salaried ranks for May, and could even fall out of the top 15 ranks. So far nothing in the news indicating he is retiring. When do we have the banzuke committee meeting?

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Having finished with a 2-5 record, it is obvious he will not be back in the salaried ranks for May, and could even fall out of the top 15 ranks. So far nothing in the news indicating he is retiring. When do we have the banzuke committee meeting?

In an interview , between the lines, I could read he is retiring loud and clear. "I'll have to give this some serious thought" is almost word for word  Goueidou's interview a day before he announced his retirement. We shall see..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1