Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

Practice exercise?

Can anyone tell me what this exercise is called? ...and, what it's purpose is? I visited the Miyagino heya before the Hatsu 2020 basho. It was a totally remarkable experience in so many ways.

They are practicing for this Summer's Shinjuku Little Theater production of Rikishi Over Broadway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPedro44 said:

Think it is suriashi.

Maybe someone with better knowledge can confirm.

Yeah I think it’s just to practice movement while keeping your center of gravity low. Many rikishi don’t seem to put much effort into it and don’t squat much during it though.

2 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

Yeah I think it’s just to practice movement while keeping your center of gravity low. Many rikishi don’t seem to put much effort into it and don’t squat much during it though.

Suri-ashi doesn't help to get your knees better than any light exercise could do - and stronger only as long as they are uninjured. I think you can judge the damage level of a rikishi quite good by seeing him do the basics. Shiko stamping as well is meant to strengthen the legs and thus also the knees, but I keep seeing the older rikishi do that just the same, without a low squat.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

It is used to develop the habit of staying flat footed when moving to keep maximum contact with the dohyo surface.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Benevolance said:

It's also a favorite a parties. 

You and your daft interjections. Now I've got an image stuck in my head of three suriashi steps and a shiko actually being a bloody conga!

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Haha 2

Thanks all, for the info, and the humor. I wasn't making fun of anyone by posting this, but I will admit to being a bit entertained when I witnessed the suriashi, and I was genuinely interested in the reason for the exercise (knowing there would be a good explanation).

We were also very impressed with the flexibility of these big guys, particularly the younger rikishi regardless of size. Unfortunately, we did not get to see Hakuho or Enho practice, as they had gone to visit another heya for some sparring. I was told that practice was even more intense when Hakuho is there. 

Since it's so rare in the US for anyone to even know who Hakuho is, I have to share another photo. Because of a long-shot connection, I got to eat chanko-nabe with, arguably, the greatest sumo wrestler of all time. I'm the guy with the white beard, and the other American is my travel buddy of 35 years and the guy who was with me in a small izakaya in Ueno six years ago on the evening we first watched sumo on tv. Hakuho won that day, big surprise. I never would have dreamed we would have such an opportunity as this.

651830439_Hakuholunch.thumb.jpg.c95b19712768f9c38beb88de77357977.jpg

Edited by Kaminariyuki
  • Like 8

You are really fortunate! You have a long-time travel buddy, which makes all the difference in the joys of traveling to new places, plus the connection to eat chanko-nabe with the sultan of sumo!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Consider me officially jealous.

LOL, clearly what I was after. I've told friends and family back home that it was like getting to eat lunch with Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan. They just chuckle or roll their eyes at me. But, it's true! And, of course, expecting this, while in Japan I showed the photos to anyone whom I thought might have even a passing interest.

• Like 2