Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

New Juryo for Haru 2020

(as first reported by mt fuji)

New:
Midorifuji - Ms2e 5-2, Isegahama-beya, Shizuoka, 23 years old

Returning:
Wakamotoharu - Ms1w 6-1, Arashio-beya, Fukushima, 26 years old, 3rd promotion, back after 1 basho
Chiyonoumi - Ms3w 5-2, Kokonoe-beya, Kochi, 27 years old, 2nd promotion, back after 2 basho
Akiseyama - Ms4e 4-3, Kise-beya, Aichi, 34 years old, 7th promotion (tied 3rd-most all-time), back after 1 basho former maegashira
Hakuyozan - Ms4w 6-1, Takadagawa-beya, Yamagata, 24 years old, 3rd promotion, back after 4 basho

Happy days for Kindai University with former sumo club member Midorifuji adding to Tokushoryu's glory. Also the first new sekitori for Shizuoka prefecture since Tochihiryu exactly 7 years ago.

I'll be rooting for Wakamotoharu to get his first juryo kachikoshi in his shisho's final tournament.

Should mean that both Tomokaze and Chiyootori will be hanging on to their juryo spots. (Barring some craziness where they've demoted Tomokaze and kept Sokokurai, I suppose...)

Edited by Asashosakari
rikishi links added
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Happy days for Kindai University with former sumo club member Midorifuji adding to Tokushoryu's glory. Also the first new sekitori for Shizuoka prefecture since Tochihiryu exactly 7 years ago.

I wonder if he'll get the Kindai kesho mawashi or if they only give that to graduates. If we knew that his shisho Asahifuji has one, it would solve the problem. But, maybe they started to give them out after his time? In our times, the new juryo non-graduate like him also has his university background mentioned in the database.

On 07/06/2019 at 15:55, Akinomaki said:

Asanoyama is the 3rd yusho winner from Kindai, following his shisho Asashio and Asahifuji (not graduated and still not mentioned in the database). http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190607-00000150-spnannex-spo

Edited by Akinomaki

Asahifuji is a strange case since even the Kyokai has never officially acknowledged him as a rikishi with a collegiate sumo background, to my knowledge. Lack of graduation didn't stop them from counting Miyabiyama and Homasho towards their respective universities, so I've always assumed there must be something else about Asahifuji's stay at Kindai that precludes his recognition as a gakusei rikishi.

Another rather lucky repromotion for big Akiseyama. Third time on the strenght of a 4-3 from below Ms3, but not as lucky as his sole Makuuchi promotion (8-7, J5w). He has already met the criteria for Kabu eligibity, but getting one is horse of another color. 

Much more promising though is Hakuyozan, who was getting close to Makuuchi rank and quality-wise. I hope he picks up from where he left off. 6-1 looks solid. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Much more promising though is Hakuyozan, who was getting close to Makuuchi rank and quality-wise. I hope he picks up from where he left off. 6-1 looks solid. 

I have been following him more closely for years now (saw him as young deshi in a documentary) and if it wasn't for his injuries, he probably would have made Makuuchi already. I hope he can benefit from the change of guard right now and propel himself into the top division within a short period of time. I am hesitant to predict a future sanyaku appearance, but I expect him to become a Makuuchi regular sooner or later - and at only 24 years, there's still room for progress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Asahifuji is a strange case since even the Kyokai has never officially acknowledged him as a rikishi with a collegiate sumo background, to my knowledge. Lack of graduation didn't stop them from counting Miyabiyama and Homasho towards their respective universities, so I've always assumed there must be something else about Asahifuji's stay at Kindai that precludes his recognition as a gakusei rikishi.

Doesn’t stop him from attending the annual gathering of university students who turn pro.

maybe they initiated the change after him?

Really happy for Midorifuji. I've been following him ever since he started and it feels so good to see him finally make it to the sekitori ranks. Hope Nishikifuji can recover and join him soon.

Also a fan of Hakuyozan too. Always great to see injured guys get back to where they belong. hope for a makuuchi run later this year.

• Thanks 1

The pics of new juryo Midorifuji

EPcLiPZVAAAbhSI.jpg:large

EPbAeagU0AEXOee.jpg:thumbo EPbAfEuVAAEqppC.jpg:thumbo EPbAf0uU0AAoUkd.jpg:thumbo EPbAgeKVAAAItBD.jpg:thumbo 202001290000346-w200_0.jpgo

with Isegahama-oyakata

EPcLiPZUYAAbrr4.jpg:thumbo

at the city hall of Yaizu

AS20200201001067_commL.jpgo

the mayor gave him a card board with the new year saying 松寿千年翠 shouju 1000nen no midori -  the fresh green of a pine of 1000 years

AS20200201001066_commL.jpgo

Flowers from the kohai at the Hiryu high sumo club, presented by team captain Omura

IP200130TAN000069000_O_1.jpgo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2