Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Sansho for Hatsu 2020

Alternative thread title: Sansho for everyone!

Shukun-sho: Endo (1st; 5th sansho overall)
Shukun-sho: Shodai (conditional on yusho) condition not fulfilled
Shukun-sho: Tokushoryu (1st, was conditional on yusho)

Kanto-sho: Shodai (4th)
Kanto-sho: Kiribayama (1st)
Kanto-sho: Tokushoryu (1st)

Gino-sho: Hokutofuji (2nd)
Gino-sho: Enho (conditional on 9th win) condition not fulfilled

First and second sansho ever for Tokushoryu in the same basho.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit surprised about the Shukun-sho for Endo. His beaten high-ranked opponents all turned out to be duds (except for Asanoyama).

• Haha 1

That's the (potentially) most generous sansho supply I've seen, maybe the most ever, and it seems like the committee was just as clueless about who should rather get them as we were  in our discussions here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

I'm a bit surprised about the Shukun-sho for Endo. His beaten high-ranked opponents all turned out to be duds (except for Asanoyama).

Yeah, considering I argued against Hokutofuji's shukun-worthiness yesterday I'm even more puzzled how Endo's record justifies it.

11 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

He still has the most shukun points as of day 14 (the winner's points are just potential) - he's the only of the 2 to beat both yokozuna to finish kachi-koshi - and he's Endo, like Enho is Enho and thus deserves a prize for his sheer existence.

Edit: since Takakeisho was out of contention after day 14, the wins against him were simply ozeki shukun points, worth more than for the other ozeki, but still only ginboshi

Edited by Akinomaki

With the level of the competition from all the hiramaku, I would have thought they would put a conditional 11th win on Kiribayama to get his kanto-sho, because I believe in the past there was a shinnyuumaku who did not get a kanto-sho even though he won 10.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

he's the only of the 2 to beat both yokozuna to finish kachi-koshi

So you're basically saying he had the same torikumi/banzuke luck as Myogiryu who blew it.

2 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

With the level of the competition from all the hiramaku, I would have thought they would put a conditional 11th win on Kiribayama to get his kanto-sho, because I believe in the past there was a shinnyuumaku who did not get a kanto-sho even though he won 10.

Just my thoughts, but I think because he got the 10 already and the committee had to somehow deal with the flood of possibilities, they opted for a simple solution here - there are enough optional sansho already in this list

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

So you're basically saying he had the same torikumi/banzuke luck as Myogiryu who blew it.

Had Hokutofuji been scheduled to get his 2nd yokozuna win in contention, there would have been no discussion about who would get the shukun-sho

Edited by Akinomaki

39 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Gino-sho: Hokutofuji (2nd)

Gino-sho: Enho (conditional on 9th win)

Why? the gino-sho is for technique, it shouldn't matter if enho gets 8 wins or 9 wins, he showed good technique, he should get the prize.

6 minutes ago, sahaven111 said:

Why? the gino-sho is for technique, it shouldn't matter if enho gets 8 wins or 9 wins, he showed good technique, he should get the prize.

He showed good technique, but not in enough quantity to rival that what Hokutofuji did. It is amazing that they are willing to hand out a 2nd gino-sho at all.

And so Dewanishiki remains the only rikishi ever to win a shukun-sho without defeating a single sanyaku opponent (though he didn't have any opportunity), in the very first basho that sansho were awarded. Tokushoryu could have become the second if he'd won the yusho without defeating Takakeisho today.

True winner of the Shukun-sho is Kaisei.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

True winner of the Shukun-sho is Kaisei.

Kaisei, the only one to beat Tokushouryuu this basho: "Don't I get some prize for being the only one to beat the yusho guy?"

Tokushoryu is the 4th-oldest first-time sansho winner at 33 years, 5 months, 4 days. Older still were Nayoroiwa (35y, 8m, 1d), Shionishiki (34y, 7m, 22d) and Sakuranishiki (34y, 7m, 2d). (Worth noting that Nayoroiwa and Sakuranishiki were active in Makuuchi before the introduction of sansho and may well have won them had they existed earlier.)

Not quite complete results from the committee voting - I think it's likely that the Tokushoryu/Shodai yusho-dependent conditional Shukun-sho received unanimous backing, but I can only guess, those are the only numbers I haven't found.

22 participants, requiring a majority of 12 for a sansho to be awarded. The committee noted Endo's stall in the second half of the basho, and thus his Shukun-sho nomination just got over the line with 12 votes.

Shukun-sho:

Endo, 12 votes.
Shodai, ?? votes - conditional, not awarded.
Tokushoryu, ?? votes - conditional, awarded.

Kanto-sho:

Shodai, 22 votes.
Kiribayama, 18 votes.
Tokushoryu, 22 votes.

Gino-sho:

Hokutofuji, 22 votes.
Enho, 20 votes - conditional, not awarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3