Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Shukan Post and Isegahama Oyakata Story

Jonosuke    15

Well, that well know anti-Ozumo trash magazine known as _Weekly Shukan Post_ which used to prominently feature nude pictures is at it again. Last two weeks they have been running an "inside story" from Isegahama oyakata describing rampant steoroid use and non-competitive bouts implying yaocho in Ozumo (this week's headline. "how the Isegahama oyakata was swindled 500 Million Yen by sumo supporters").

Normal reaction from the Kyokai is simply ignore them and it will go away. And this time around, as usual Kitanoumi oyakata announced after an internal investigation they did not find any substance to the story and Isegahama oyakata told him he did not say anything to substantiate the story.

Some oyakatas have not been satisfied with the Rijicho's response and action. And now they called for an emergency meeting of Association of Toshiyoris which include all Toshiyori members of the Kyokai except the directors and to summon Isegahama oyakata to explain thes story. They say they are considering a legal proceeding as well.

Jonosuke    15

Just for your amusement.

The Kyokai's Association of Toshiyori, a group made up of the

oyakatas excluding directors and management level oyakatas, has

held an emergency session on Septemeber 25 to discuss the

comments made by Isegama oyakata in Weekly Shukan Post

magazine.

In the article Isegahama oyakata is accusing rikishis of their

use of steroids and nonchalant sumo, implying possible yaocho

bouts. The Toshiyori Association members have been highly

critical of Isegahama oyakata who is a former director and

currently has an equivalent management rank with the Kyokai.

"This is not an issue to be ignored simply. We exchanged a

varitey of opinions but in the end we've decided to ask the

Rijicho to deal with it seriously," said Tamonoii oyakata, the

chair of Toshiyori Association.

Rijicho Kitanoumi oyakata has indicated that he would make his

decision known after a regular Directors Meeting scheduled on

September 30. "I cannot deny his speaking with the magazine and

I am well aware of the fact that it did impact the rikishis.

I am considering an appropriate response at the moment,"

Kitanoumi oyakata said. (Whistling...)

hoshidango    0

I really wonder the reason behind Isegahama is coming out of this.... is it for the betterment of sumo or he had some grudge against someone or...?

Jonosuke    15

An update:

At their Directors meeting held on September 30, the Kyokai announced they are terminating the contract of Isegahama oyakata from his position of executive equivalent officer of the Kyokai. Isegahama oyakata was also relieved from his duty as Assistant Director of Living Guidance Department.

Weekly Shukan Post magazine, well known for its trashiness and anti-sumo bent, published a series of three highly critical articles on Ozumo, allegedly quoting Isegahama oyakata directly. In the articles Isegahama oyakata is quoted saying there is a rampant use of steroids and nonchalant attitudes by rikishis towards their bouts, implying "yaocho" matches.

"Isegahama oyataka maintains he was misquoted and states he has never talked about what has been printed. And I do believe him. But I cannot deny the fact that the articles, that could have led to misunderstanding, have been published attributing his name. We also took in a consideration that this caused a great deal of anguishes within the Kyokai," said Kitanoumi oyakata, chair of the Kyokai, explaining their decision on the handling of Isegahama oyakata.

Many of oyakatas and rikishis have been accusing Isegahama oyakata of talking to the magazine. The Association of Toshiyoris made up by the non-officer oyakatas of the Kyokai had a special emergency meeting to deal with the issue and requested Kitanoumi oyataka to hand down a disciplinary action against Isegahama oyakata.

Meanwhile Isegahama oyakata disclosed that he was considering taking a legal step to overturn the Kyokai

On TV a couple of nights back this one and just lacked the energy to type it up.

Boys without J-TV - you owe Jonosuke a beer if you ever meet him - for this and many others I am sure are yet to come. (Feeling guilty...)

Jonosuke    15

I just want to give you a small update that Isegahama oyakata is now appealing the decision made by the Rijicho to terminate him from Kyokai's officer equivalent position.

Kitanoumi oyakata indicated that he would reconsider if Isegahama oyakata provided a concrete proof that he has not made the comments printed in the magazine.

I think more than anything he should have known what type of magazine the Shukan Post is and should not have given any interview. That's the reason most oyakatas were upset with him as well as the articles came out during a honbasho.

Boys without J-TV - you owe Jonosuke a beer if you ever meet him - for this and many others I am sure are yet to come. :-O

Thank you but I am just waiting for you to join a heya so I can visit you to get some inside scoop as well as some beer. No need for an invitation, I just invite myself in. See ya.

Edited by Jonosuke

Jonosuke    15

A bit more update:

Chair of the Kyokai Kitanoumi oyataka indicated that he would be speaking to the Kyokai's attorney on October 6 to discuss how to deal with Isegahama oyakata's appeal.

Isegahama oyakata maintains that his termination from Kyokai's officer equivalent position is unjust and his conduct did not warrant such a harsh measure.

Meanwhile Kitanoumi oyakata told Kyokai's other directors and auditors regarding the status of the case on October 4. The other members have agreed to go along with the chairman's decision and let Kitanoumi oyakata handle this issue.

Guest Vincentoryu   
Guest Vincentoryu

Seems that cycling is not the only sport where 'Omerta' is seen as something very crucial. (Clapping wildly...)

Kintamayama    17,456

Now Kitanoumi Rijicho is hinting that if he could get "proof " of Isegahama Oyakata's innocense, he will revoke the "punishment" and reinstate him in all of his old jobs.

"If he says he didn't say what the "Post" says he said, I would like him to furnish me with some sort of proof. If he does, I am willing to reconsider this whole affair", he said.

Edited by Kintamayama

Kintamayama    17,456

Now, a twist to the story. Isegahama Oyakata, who allegedly told the Shukan Post that many rikishi were "slacking", "not going all out", "using steroids" and other stuff, and was consequently stripped of his Kyokai titles, has been given a new job. He was appointed to the "Inspection Commitee", his major duty being to make sure the rikishi are giving all they got and doing it "cleanly". He has held this post in the past.

Essentially, what Rijicho is saying in his subtle way to Isegahama Oyakata seems to be "You said the guys are not on the level?? Now, as a commitee member, you can do something about it, since now it's your job!! PROVE IT'"

Nice touch.