Sign in to follow this  
Eikokurai

Coronavirus in China

I'm out of work since March 9th. When things will get back to normal eventually (3 months at least, I am being told) my sector will be the last back in, as people will probably not feel comfortable congregating in groups of more than 50.. I'm screwed but have some savings. The government is helping out a bit, not nearly enough but better than nothing. And I'm in the danger group of affection. Happy times.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm out of work since March 9th. When things will get back to normal eventually (3 months at least, I am being told) my sector will be the last back in, as people will probably not feel comfortable congregating in groups of more than 50.. I'm screwed but have some savings. The government is helping out a bit, not nearly enough but better than nothing. And I'm in the danger group of affection. Happy times.

It looks like Israel is doing a good job of getting the COVID 19 under control.   They are on a downward path of the curve and already ran 90000 tests!   Japan with much bigger population and a head start only ran 50000 tests and their trouble has just begun.   A tale of two cities.     

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

It looks like Israel is doing a good job of getting the COVID 19 under control.   They are on a downward path of the curve and already ran 90000 tests!   Japan with much bigger population and a head start only ran 50000 tests and their trouble has just begun.   A tale of two cities.     

I took the test. I just got the results -  I'm OK.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I took the test. I just got the results -  I'm OK.

did you get tested without any symptoms?

in austria you only get tested if you had any contact with someone who is a confirmes covid19 victim

if you do not have such confirmed contact you are not tested, whatever your symptons are

30 minutes ago, Gernobono said:

did you get tested without any symptoms?

in austria you only get tested if you had any contact with someone who is a confirmes covid19 victim

if you do not have such confirmed contact you are not tested, whatever your symptons are

Yes, no symptoms but I have asthma and I had a cough and I'm over 65 so they allowed it. Today, they tightened the criteria again- they are changing the criteria on a weekly basis. A cough and a fever over 38 and you get tested.

Edited by Kintamayama

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, no symptoms but I have asthma and I had a cough and I'm over 65 so they allowed it. Today, they tightened the criteria again- they are changing the criteria on a weekly basis. A cough and a fever over 38 and you get tested.

I am glad you tested negative.   It's good to have smart people running the show.   Japan?  (Hitthewall...)

21 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Indonesia is worse than this bro. Appalling government makes everything unclear.

6 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

Indonesia is worse than this bro. Appalling government makes everything unclear.

I believe that.  Their high infection to death ratio says they are in deep doo doo.   But there are plenty of other countries in the same sad situation.   

2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I believe that.  Their high infection to death ratio says they are in deep doo doo.   But there are plenty of other countries in the same sad situation.   

And doctors/health workers death rate is horrifying. Mainly they got covid due to lack of PPE.

As a doctor who work at A&E, this current situation scare out of me and my colleagues. 

Edited by code_number3
  • Sad 1

On 06/04/2020 at 01:00, code_number3 said:

And doctors/health workers death rate is horrifying. Mainly they got covid due to lack of PPE.

As a doctor who work at A&E, this current situation scare out of me and my colleagues. 

And there is no excuse for that if they paid attention to Wuhan.   How many doctors and nurses died there?  We'd never know b/c, well, it is Chinese government reporting the stat.   Doctors and nurses were still being infected with their hazmat suit, goggles, gloves, and masks.

When the outbreak happened in Washington  & Spain, I saw medical staff with nothing but a surgical mask moving patients.   I knew then, the US and Spain would be in for a shock.   The same mistakes happen  everywhere since.   The US just announced the use of masks for the mass.  And the Brazilian president's attitude toward the virus?   Ditto for Belarus's leader?   Sweden's strategy of letting its population develop immunity?   The experts must lead this crisis, not the politicians!   

If every country did what Taiwan did to control the virus, we'd be ok.   The government moved quickly to implement drastic measures from the start.  Despite its proximity to China, they only have 400 infections today.   If there is COVID 19 part II next year, my golf clubs and I are moving to Taiwan to ride it out.   

Edited by robnplunder

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

And there is no excuse for that if they paid attention to Wuhan.   How many doctors and nurses died there?  We'd never know b/c, well, it is Chinese government reporting the stat.   Doctors and nurses were still being infected with their hazmat suit, goggles, gloves, and masks.

When the outbreak happened in Washington DC & Spain, I saw medical staff with nothing but a surgical mask moving patients.   I knew then, the US and Spain would be in for a shock.   The same mistakes happen  everywhere since.   The US just announced the use of masks for the mass.  And the Brazilian president's attitude toward the virus?   Ditto for Belarus's leader?   Sweden's strategy of letting its population develop immunity?   The experts must lead this crisis, not the politicians!   

If every country did what Taiwan did to control the virus, we'd be ok.   The government moved quickly to implement drastic measures from the start.  Despite its proximity to China, they only have 400 infections today.   If there is COVID 19 part II next year, my golf clubs and I are moving to Taiwan to ride it out.   

Taiwan knows its neighbour very well. It didn’t trust a word they said and moved swiftly. It also helped that Beijing childishly banned individual Chinese travelling to Taiwan fairly recently, so it wasn’t hit by tourists or business travellers from China.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It also helped that Beijing childishly banned individual Chinese travelling to Taiwan fairly recently, so it wasn’t hit by tourists or business travellers from China.  

That's what we scientists call a "controlled experiment."

I have a slight fever today and was breathing a little heavily so I left work and now my office is closed tomorrow so it can be sanitized. (Oops!)

27 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I have a slight fever today and was breathing a little heavily so I left work and now my office is closed tomorrow so it can be sanitized. (Oops!)

????   What   ????    I really hope it is nothing.    

Just now, robnplunder said:

????   What   ????    I really hope it is nothing.    

Just burning out I think. Been working a lot of overtime recently and working from home half the week the workday and evening sort of blurs into one. I’ve been on the go from 7am to 10pm most days. Need to chill.

31 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

They actually made a movie about @Fujisan

AKA:

Carry on Cleaning

Squeegee and Me

Rear Window

On 09/04/2020 at 12:43, John Gunning said:

They actually made a movie about @Fujisan

I wish!

China officially increased Wuhan's death toll by 1200+ after the fact.  I knew China has to announce a revised number to make itself more credible but 1200+?   That is a fraction of what they already admitted indirectly through the distribution of thousands of ash boxes.   Earlier in this thread, I guessed about 20000 deaths in Wuhan/Hubei and that was probably a gross underestimate on my part.  

Now, there seems to be the second wave of new infections in a northern Chinese province bordering with Russia.   

A Korean study found that about 2% of "recovered" tested positive.   They believe the virus reactivated but it isn't clear if they can infect others or not.   If they can, China and the rest of the world are in a much longer fight against the virus.   

Edited by robnplunder

On 18/04/2020 at 05:27, robnplunder said:

China officially increased Wuhan's death toll by 1200+ after the fact.  I knew China has to announce a revised number to make itself more credible but 1200+?   That is a fraction of what they already admitted indirectly through the distribution of thousands of ash boxes.   Earlier in this thread, I guessed about 20000 deaths in Wuhan/Hubei and that was probably a gross underestimate on my part.  

Now, there seems to be the second wave of new infections in a northern Chinese province bordering with Russia.   

A Korean study found that about 2% of "recovered" tested positive.   They believe the virus reactivated but it isn't clear if they can infect others or not.   If they can, China and the rest of the world are in a much longer fight against the virus.   

The least credible part of that revision was the precision of the numbers: exactly 50%. It went from 2579 to 3869. 50% of 2579 is 1289.5 and they reported 1290 deaths. Ahem.

The Germans really do love their compounds and consonants. With the current discussion about an obligation ("Pflicht") to vaccinate ("impfen"), nobody even blinks an eye at a word monster like "Impfpflicht" all over the news.

I bet not even a Gaelic speaker can pronounce that one correctly. B-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

The Germans really do love their compounds and consonants. With the current discussion about an obligation ("Pflicht") to vaccinate ("impfen"), nobody even blinks an eye at a word monster like "Impfpflicht" all over the news.

I bet not even a Gaelic speaker can pronounce that one correctly. B-)

Simply pronouncing that word could launch significant amounts of virus into the atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

The Light of Impfpf, soon to feature as a highly sought after item in a dystopia-themed RPG.

• Haha 4

My dad is getting tested today after one of his wife’s patients (she’s a nurse in a sort of care home) died after several weeks with a respiratory infection. The patient wasn’t tested but their cause of death was recorded as related to coronavirus, so my dad now qualifies for a test as he’s obviously been in contact with his wife. I’m sure it’ll be fine. If either of them are positive, it will be asymptomatically as neither shows signs of the virus and if the patient did die of it there’s been several weeks of exposure. Still, it’s worrying until you know for sure. Most concerning is that my dad took my nan to hospital for an unrelated condition last week. She’s 89 and got plenty of existing conditions, which makes her vulnerable.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

My dad is getting tested today after one of his wife’s patients ....... Most concerning is that my dad took my nan to hospital for an unrelated condition last week. She’s 89 and got plenty of existing conditions, which makes her vulnerable.

I hope all will go well for your relatives.

On 01/05/2020 at 15:44, Eikokurai said:

My dad is getting tested today after one of his wife’s patients (she’s a nurse in a sort of care home) died after several weeks with a respiratory infection. The patient wasn’t tested but their cause of death was recorded as related to coronavirus, so my dad now qualifies for a test as he’s obviously been in contact with his wife. I’m sure it’ll be fine. If either of them are positive, it will be asymptomatically as neither shows signs of the virus and if the patient did die of it there’s been several weeks of exposure. Still, it’s worrying until you know for sure. Most concerning is that my dad took my nan to hospital for an unrelated condition last week. She’s 89 and got plenty of existing conditions, which makes her vulnerable.

Hopefully your father is well, and has tested negative for the virus. That is my sincere wish.