Sign in to follow this  
Eikokurai

Coronavirus in China

< Skepticism alert >

IMO, there must have been draconian preventive measures like what China is doing now (after the fact).   Japan failed and the number of infected will go up exponentially.  I don't see the next basho happening.   Even the Olympic is at the risk but it has to be the furthest in the Japanese leaders' minds.   Fighting the spread of COVID 19 has to be!   

Edited by robnplunder

Backlash continues.

Also this thread is for coronavirus in China so should a separate one for Japan be made?

5 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Rocks's link didn't work from, but it's an excellent up-to-date article, IMO. I've cut and pasted another link, but maybe mine won't work either. Good find!

That's my fault. Stupidly I linked back to the forum instead of the article.  Thanks for the help. It's fixed now.

All indication is China has gotten a handle on their situation.  Their draconian measures working.  All the numbers (if they can be trusted) are trending better, even Wuhan/Hubei.   I'd like to believe it but China's record on transparency is dismal.  

The scene has moved to Korea, Italy, and Iran.   There are other countries in waiting.   I think Japan will sooner or later join the crowd.

On 10/02/2020 at 16:23, Kishinoyama said:

....Their is a chance that our flight could be canceled....

The airline company sent us an email today. We were advised that we can cancel our flight and get a full refund. At this time, the airline has no plans to cancel the flight. We are still planning on going. I have been checking the W.H.O updates every day and their seems to be a steady number of new cases being reported in Japan. Fifteen on the March second, nine on the first and twenty on the last day of February.

Posted (edited)

We're closing down the country from foreigners from 10 countries with only 1 sick (already at home, healed) and 14 carriers locally so far (most of them after returning from Italy..)  Oh yeah, that distinction isn't being made in the mass hysteria media. Carriers, yes. Not every carrier gets sick eventually. Also locals returning from the countries on that list are quarantined at home for 2 weeks, Japan included. No more than 5000 people allowed in one place. Concerts and sports events canceled. Overdoing it? Better safe than sorry? Huge financial price? We shall see.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Confused 2

Iran now = Wuhan at the height of COVID 19.   People who were unable to get into the hospital were passing out/dying in the streets.   I am glad to see China is over the hump on COVID 19.   Unfortunately, the scene has moved to Iran.   

And now my country of residence has taken restrictive measures nationwide. Teleworking is compulsary for me and I am only allowed to exit my home to go grocery shopping, more or less. Let's see where it goes...

The good side is I can watch the basho live (Thinkingindepth...)

18 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

And now my country of residence has taken restrictive measures nationwide. Teleworking is compulsary for me and I am only allowed to exit my home to go grocery shopping, more or less. Let's see where it goes...

The good side is I can watch the basho live (Thinkingindepth...)

Welcome to the party, quarantine brother. Try to enjoy the fact you don’t have to go out and do anything. Watch all those TV shows and read all those books you never have time for or do a massive spring clean. You won’t get a better opportunity.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Welcome to the party, quarantine brother. Try to enjoy the fact you don’t have to go out and do anything. Watch all those TV shows and read all those books you never have time for or do a massive spring clean. You won’t get a better opportunity.

Yes, I guess I'll try to occupy myself the best I can. But the situation is a bit weird, I just moved in with a new roomate (like, 10 days ago), my family is abroad (worried, obviously) and my gf is quarantined in another city. Let's gambarize!

Brazil has confirmed 19 cases by now, things are starting to snowball.

1 hour ago, Joaoiyama said:

Brazil has confirmed 19 cases by now, things are starting to snowball.

I hope your country has been taking notes.   The virus can spread faster than the local medical system can handle.   When that happens, it will be another Wuhan/China, Italy, or Iran.   Korea despite its high "infection" number, their death rate is very low only b/c its aggressive and proactive strategy of testing everyone who came in contact with an infected.  

This is an excellent video on what/how COVID19 can spread leading to the situations in Wuhan///China, Italy, Iran.

What does it tell you about a country when in every emergency shopping cart there appears to be more toilet paper than food?

(Yes, I'm talking about Germany, of course...)

20 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

What does it tell you about a country when in every emergency shopping cart there appears to be more toilet paper than food?

(Yes, I'm talking about Germany, of course...)

Schools shut down here in South Carolina, but nothing else ... yet.  Still, last Saturday Walmart had empty shelves for

1) Kleenex, paper towels, toilet paper (including wet wipes)

2) Diapers

3) dry pasta

4) ramen and cup-a-soups.

Plenty of everything else, and above items are back to normal.

Posted (edited)

So after surviving two months in China it seems my family in the UK may have it worse than me. My older sister is reporting a fever and has sent her kids to stay with their dad. Meanwhile, a boy my mum looks after has a temperature of 39.7 degrees and is awaiting a test. My younger sister was with his family all weekend, so she's moved in with them to self-isolate rather than risk infecting my mum. It's probably nothing, but there has been a confirmed case a short walk away. A child at a nearby primary school has the coronavirus so their family is in quarantine. I'm not sure if it's the same school the other boy goes to or not. Anyway, now I've got this to worry about after my family worrying about me. How things change! At least my family have been well prepared by me so they know what to do and they've got supplies for a few weeks and masks to wear if they do need to go out in future. Fingers crossed it's just the regular flu!

Edited by Eikokurai

14 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

My older sister is reporting a fever and has sent her kids to stay with their dad.

Isn't that exactly the wrong thing to do?

Oops, sorry, I misread "her" dad...

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

So after surviving two months in China it seems my family in the UK may have it worse than me. My older sister is reporting a fever and has sent her kids to stay with their dad. Meanwhile, a boy my mum looks after has a temperature of 39.7 degrees and is awaiting a test. My younger sister was with his family all weekend, so she's moved in with them to self-isolate rather than risk infecting my mum. It's probably nothing, but there has been a confirmed case a short walk away. A child at a nearby primary school has the coronavirus so their family is in quarantine. I'm not sure if it's the same school the other boy goes to or not. Anyway, now I've got this to worry about after my family worrying about me. How things change! At least my family have been well prepared by me so they know what to do and they've got supplies for a few weeks and masks to wear if they do need to go out in future. Fingers crossed it's just the regular flu!

I wish things will turn out ok.  It's elderly and people with pre-existing medical conditions who are in great danger.   The kids will be fine, knock on wood.

UK seems to be confused about their strategy.  I hope they got a solid plan.  

Who would thought a month ago, China and Korea would be a safer place from the virus than everywhere else?

41 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

... UK seems to be confused about their strategy.  ...

And you're surprised, after Brexit?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Not that the strategy of the EU would be any more elaborate...

Edited by Jakusotsu

38 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

I think French people are also confused about Corona Virus (not to be confused with Corona Biru).    

31 minutes ago, word20 said:

Important information about where CoV originated. An article from theduran asked the question:

Did coronavirus originate in US?

Did the Virus originate in US?

This will only backfire on China.   They have floated the idea of COVID 19 originating from elsewhere but China.   China's propaganda is running rampant.   

• Like 1