Akinomaki

Asahifuji kanreki dohyo-iri

Recommended Posts

Isegahama-oyakata (Asahifuji) reaches kanreki (turns 60) this year and will have his kanreki-dohyo-iri May 30th in the kokugikan, he's training for it now. The last was that of Chiyonofuji May 2015 http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/33485-kokonoe-kanreki-dohyo-iri/?page=2, but the last of shiranui style was Tachiyama in 1937.

photo shoot at the basho today with some fellow kanreki-s, who got the special ticket for that and (mostly) are in proper kanreki attire for the occasion

EOuHpGSU0AAMVf0.jpg:thumbo origin_1.jpgo

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who will be his attendants?  His only contemporaries are Hokutoumi and Onokuni.

 

Swami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we starting an office pool on this?

On 21/01/2020 at 14:16, Swami said:

Who will be his attendants?  His only contemporaries are Hokutoumi and Onokuni.

 

Swami

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 22:16, Swami said:

Who will be his attendants?  His only contemporaries are Hokutoumi and Onokuni.

 

Swami

The way I've seen Onokuni walking around, HE is going to be lucky to get to his kanreki. Who's to say they won't get the current yokozuna to attend to him? Or they could get Harumafuji and Araiso aka Kisenosato to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hakuho learned his dohyo-iri style from him, right? So it wouldn't surprise me to see him.

Harumafuji would be nice, but would they let someone who left sumo do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yohcun said:

Hakuho learned his dohyo-iri style from him, right? So it wouldn't surprise me to see him.

Harumafuji would be nice, but would they let someone who left sumo do it?

Interesting question.  I remember the committee had "regret" that Harumafuji retired "on his own", as if he would not have been forced out. If that's correct, then they'd have no problem with him appearing at the dohyo-iri, right?  If not, it was all bogus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Interesting question.  I remember the committee had "regret" that Harumafuji retired "on his own", as if he would not have been forced out. If that's correct, then they'd have no problem with him appearing at the dohyo-iri, right?  If not, it was all bogus.

If I remember correctly, the kanreki dohyo is not sponsored directly by the NSK, it's mainly put together by sponsors. I don't think they would have a problem with it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kitanofuji performed his after he had left the association (voluntarily), with Chiyonofuji & Hokutoumi as his attendants, so perhaps that would work OK, with Harumafuji participating.

 

Yes, I agree it looks unlikely that Onokuni will be fit enough for his kanreki - although they didn't think Tochinishiki or Taiho would have completed theirs, and both did with relative ease.

 

Swami

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 18:38, Akinomaki said:

Isegahama-oyakata (Asahifuji) reaches kanreki (turns 60) this year and will have his kanreki-dohyo-iri May 30th in the kokugikan

Postponed due to Corona - on the 30th the Natsu basho is planned now. Asahifuji turns 60 in July and hopes to have the kanreki-dohyo-iri in August. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200404/sum20040416590003-n1.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 25/03/2020 at 03:01, Swami said:

Yes, I agree it looks unlikely that Onokuni will be fit enough for his kanreki - although they didn't think Tochinishiki or Taiho would have completed theirs, and both did with relative ease.

Well only up to a point with Taiho - it was a restricted one for him as his stroke meant he couldn’t  perform a full kanreki. 

Edited by ryafuji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now