Akinomaki

Asahifuji kanreki dohyo-iri

Isegahama-oyakata (Asahifuji) reaches kanreki (turns 60) this year and will have his kanreki-dohyo-iri May 30th in the kokugikan, he's training for it now. The last was that of Chiyonofuji May 2015 http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/33485-kokonoe-kanreki-dohyo-iri/?page=2, but the last of shiranui style was Tachiyama in 1937.

photo shoot at the basho today with some fellow kanreki-s, who got the special ticket for that and (mostly) are in proper kanreki attire for the occasion

EOuHpGSU0AAMVf0.jpg:thumbo origin_1.jpgo

• Like 6

Who will be his attendants?  His only contemporaries are Hokutoumi and Onokuni.

Swami

Are we starting an office pool on this?

On 21/01/2020 at 14:16, Swami said:

Swami

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 22:16, Swami said:

Swami

The way I've seen Onokuni walking around, HE is going to be lucky to get to his kanreki. Who's to say they won't get the current yokozuna to attend to him? Or they could get Harumafuji and Araiso aka Kisenosato to do it.

• Like 1

Hakuho learned his dohyo-iri style from him, right? So it wouldn't surprise me to see him.

Harumafuji would be nice, but would they let someone who left sumo do it?

5 hours ago, yohcun said:

Hakuho learned his dohyo-iri style from him, right? So it wouldn't surprise me to see him.

Harumafuji would be nice, but would they let someone who left sumo do it?

Interesting question.  I remember the committee had "regret" that Harumafuji retired "on his own", as if he would not have been forced out. If that's correct, then they'd have no problem with him appearing at the dohyo-iri, right?  If not, it was all bogus.

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Interesting question.  I remember the committee had "regret" that Harumafuji retired "on his own", as if he would not have been forced out. If that's correct, then they'd have no problem with him appearing at the dohyo-iri, right?  If not, it was all bogus.

If I remember correctly, the kanreki dohyo is not sponsored directly by the NSK, it's mainly put together by sponsors. I don't think they would have a problem with it either.

Kitanofuji performed his after he had left the association (voluntarily), with Chiyonofuji & Hokutoumi as his attendants, so perhaps that would work OK, with Harumafuji participating.

Yes, I agree it looks unlikely that Onokuni will be fit enough for his kanreki - although they didn't think Tochinishiki or Taiho would have completed theirs, and both did with relative ease.

Swami

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 18:38, Akinomaki said:

Isegahama-oyakata (Asahifuji) reaches kanreki (turns 60) this year and will have his kanreki-dohyo-iri May 30th in the kokugikan

Postponed due to Corona - on the 30th the Natsu basho is planned now. Asahifuji turns 60 in July and hopes to have the kanreki-dohyo-iri in August. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200404/sum20040416590003-n1.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 25/03/2020 at 03:01, Swami said:

Yes, I agree it looks unlikely that Onokuni will be fit enough for his kanreki - although they didn't think Tochinishiki or Taiho would have completed theirs, and both did with relative ease.

Well only up to a point with Taiho - it was a restricted one for him as his stroke meant he couldn’t  perform a full kanreki. 

Edited by ryafuji

Posted (edited)

Isegahama-oyakata (Asahifuji) turned 60 today. About the dohyo-iri: "I think the prediction will be for next year. It would be fine to have it in December though." He is keeping himself fit: after dinner, each day a walk of at least 1 hour, and 5, 6 times a week 1 hour of weight training, not too heavy, to avoid injury, but at bench press he lifts 100kg or more.

"I have to lose weight. For the dohyo-iri (planned for May) I gained weight. Now I'll lose weight once and when the time comes, gain it again. Not that good for your health though. If I'm too lean, the tsuna falls off." http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/07/06/0013487348.shtml

Reaching kanreki on the same day today is sumo cartoonist Kototsurugi - for him it is easy, he draws himself a kanreki dohyo-iri.

EcNz8hrU0AIYyEQ.jpg:large

Kototsurugi got several congratulation video letters: Kotoshogiku, Kotonowaka II and KONISHIKI

lDjpBJr05BL5z1m0.jpg:thumbvid GDzqyOic1nkqK3Yl.jpg:thumbvid D6cwxCcnU8HkcYez.jpg:thumbvid

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Isegahama-oyakata (Asahifuji) turned 60 today. About the dohyo-iri: "I think the prediction will be for next year. It would be fine to have it in December though." He is keeping himself fit: after dinner, each day a walk of at least 1 hour, and 5, 6 times a week 1 hour of weight training, not too heavy, to avoid injury, but at bench press he lifts 100kg or more.

"I have to lose weight. For the dohyo-iri (planned for May) I gained weight. Now I'll lose weight once and when the time comes, gain it again. Not that good for your health though. If I'm too lean, the tsuna falls off."

100kg at 60 years of age? Good for him, that’s awesome to hear. Glad to see that he is keeping himself in good shape. Can’t wait to see his kanreki dohyo-iri, I hope he is able to do so soon. This yo yo weight gain/weight loss is not good for the body so the sooner he can get back to maintaining a lower weight the better. A big happy birthday to Asahifuji, and may there be many more to come.