Akinomaki

Asahifuji kanreki dohyo-iri

Recommended Posts

I've never seen one of these except in old films.  I'm stoked to watch this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Will Hakuho’s kyujo prevent him to become tachimochi, or even attending the ceremony?

I don't see any reason why Hakuho should attend. The 2 yokozuna raised by Asahifuji are the only plausible choice as attendants.

Asashoryu is reported to be in Japan, lately enjoying himself at dinner with Ai-chan, still the darling of Japan. When Harumafuji arrives, it will not be that big in the press, but it won't go unnoticed. We will see, there is still plenty of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
13 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Will Hakuho’s kyujo prevent him to become tachimochi, or even attending the ceremony?

I don't see any reason why Hakuho should attend. The 2 yokozuna raised by Asahifuji are the only plausible choice as attendants.

Asashoryu is reported to be in Japan, lately enjoying himself at dinner with Ai-chan, still the darling of Japan. When Harumafuji arrives, it will not be that big in the press, but it won't go unnoticed. We will see, there is still plenty of time.

In theory, Hakuho and Harumafuji had nothing to do with Chiyonofuji either, and Hokutoumi/Hakkaku as his junior stablemate yokozuna would have been a better choice to replace at least one of them. As much as I'd like Harumafuji to be the tachimochi as well, I suspect the considerations go beyond "who has the tightest link to the kanreki celebrant", and includes "who can we conveniently shanghai and can't reasonably say no".

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2020 at 14:16, Swami said:

Who will be his attendants?  His only contemporaries are Hokutoumi and Onokuni.

 

On 24/03/2020 at 12:57, rhyen said:

Are we starting an office pool on this?

 

On 16/09/2021 at 11:09, Godango said:

We need a poll on his attendants.

By the demand of the vox populi:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2021 at 17:08, rhyen said:

October 3rd, tickets priced at ¥20k

Do you have a link to somewhere saying this is the case? All I can find is one guy on Twitter saying so, but nothing else. Maybe it's buried in all the usual daily basho articles and I'm blind/not good enough at Japanese to spot it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

In theory, Hakuho and Harumafuji had nothing to do with Chiyonofuji either, and Hokutoumi/Hakkaku as his junior stablemate yokozuna would have been a better choice to replace at least one of them. As much as I'd like Harumafuji to be the tachimochi as well, I suspect the considerations go beyond "who has the tightest link to the kanreki celebrant", and includes "who can we conveniently shanghai and can't reasonably say no".

I daresay that might have been more because Chiyonofuji didn't appear to be on the best of terms with anybody in his own generation of rikishi, and the likes of Hakkaku and Shibatayama simply didn't feel like accommodating him in what's a strictly private matter (so no "sumo world obligation"). I don't think anything like that will be an obstacle to Harumafuji and Terunofuji appearing with Isegahama.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hidenotora said:

Do you have a link to somewhere saying this is the case? All I can find is one guy on Twitter saying so, but nothing else. Maybe it's buried in all the usual daily basho articles and I'm blind/not good enough at Japanese to spot it though.

Isegahama koenkai flyer mailed to members with the Aki banzuke. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rhyen said:

Isegahama koenkai flyer mailed to members with the Aki banzuke. 

Thanks! That makes sense. Still would have expected some articles about it, but I guess it's a private event after all and doesn't concern everyone. I look forward to whatever coverage of it we end up getting (probably not much).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hidenotora said:

Thanks! That makes sense. Still would have expected some articles about it, but I guess it's a private event after all and doesn't concern everyone. I look forward to whatever coverage of it we end up getting (probably not much).

Expect some short news video. Yokozuna kanreki are rare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2021 at 15:03, Asashosakari said:

Chiyonofuji didn't appear to be on the best of terms with anybody in his own generation of rikishi, and the likes of Hakkaku and Shibatayama simply didn't feel like accommodating him

I didn't know that. I thought Hakkaku had great respect towards Chiyonofuji. Can you please explain and elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2021 at 23:58, arkinso said:

I didn't know that. I thought Hakkaku had great respect towards Chiyonofuji. Can you please explain and elaborate?

It's said that Kokonoe was unpopular amongst some of his fellow oyakata, because of his high handed attitude (it was claimed that he was never able to bow to anybody) and that lack of support was why he was never able to make a credible run at becoming rijicho. But I doubt that extended to Hakkaku, judging by his shocked and emotional reaction to Kokonoe's death. (Not to mention that Hokutoumi would never have become yokozuna were it not for the endless training sessions Chiyonofuji put him through.) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

It's said that Kokonoe was unpopular amongst some of his fellow oyakata, because of his high handed attitude (it was claimed that he was never able to bow to anybody) and that lack of support was why he was never able to make a credible run at becoming rijicho. But I doubt that extended to Hakkaku, judging by his shocked and emotional reaction to Kokonoe's death. (Not to mention that Hokutoumi would never have become yokozuna were it not for the endless training sessions Chiyonofuji put him through.) 

Thank you for that. I thought so too.

BTW, I remember it was claimed that Chiyonofuji "took it easy" while Hokutoumi was persuing his Yokozuna, it order to help his friend. That's why it was hard for me to believe Hakkaku held anything against Kokonoe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ryafuji said:

It's said that Kokonoe was unpopular amongst some of his fellow oyakata, because of his high handed attitude (it was claimed that he was never able to bow to anybody) and that lack of support was why he was never able to make a credible run at becoming rijicho. But I doubt that extended to Hakkaku, judging by his shocked and emotional reaction to Kokonoe's death. (Not to mention that Hokutoumi would never have become yokozuna were it not for the endless training sessions Chiyonofuji put him through.) 

Hakkaku had no compunctions about muscling Kokonoe aside for Takasago-ichimon's one allotted spot on the board of directors in 2014 - at which point Kokonoe was still popularly thought of as a future rijicho - after the group's alliance with Tokitsukaze fell apart which had briefly given them two spots from 2012 to 2014 (the only reason Hakkaku managed to become a riji himself in the first place). So I don't think he had much of an interest in deferring to his senior anymore at that point in time.

(There's also the infamous collective departure of every oyakata affiliated with Kokonoe-beya in 1993 after Chiyonofuji had taken over the stable, which resulted in them essentially recreating the previous Kitanofuji-led Kokonoe-beya under Hakkaku's leadership.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Tsuyuharai: Aminishiki. 

(Heart...)(Heart...)(Heart...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of a few logical reasons why Aminishiki over Terunofuji: Aminishiki is related by blood, and (this should make @Amamaniac very happy) Aminishiki and Ama are arguably the most successful of the OG deshi of Isegahama, the ones with him since the Ajigawa days. As much as Isegahama had a hand in making Terunofuji, Terunofuji just doesn't go back as far and deep as the other two do.

It does ruin the opportunity for the first trio of Shiranui yokozuna doing a kanreki dohyo-iri, though.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

I can think of a few logical reasons why Aminishiki over Terunofuji: Aminishiki is related by blood, and (this should make @Amamaniac very happy) Aminishiki and Ama are arguably the most successful of the OG deshi of Isegahama, the ones with him since the Ajigawa days. As much as Isegahama had a hand in making Terunofuji, Terunofuji just doesn't go back as far and deep as the other two do.

If you are referring to the opportunity to see Harumafuji reemerge from retirement, and serve as Isegahama Oyakata's tachimochi in the  latter's kanreki dohyo-iri, then absolutely.  Can't wait to see the photos (that's a hint @Akinomaki ;-))!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Aminishiki rounding off the entourage, I would add that Isegahama could well be playing to sumo fans.  Terunofuji definitely has his share of current fans, but Aminishiki has a significant (if not huge) long-standing fanbase.  He is affectionately called "Ami-chan".  

Isegahama's kanreki event will be held on October 3rd.  Ami-chan's top-knot-snipping ceremony will not occur until May 29, 2022 (the original date was October 4th, 2020, but had to be postponed).

 

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Note too that Isegahama's kanreki event will be held on October 3rd, and Ami-chan's top-knot-snipping ceremony will occur the very next day.

I wish I could be there for both events. I am one of those long standing Aminishiki fans, from the days of his first appearance in Makuuchi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

As for Aminishiki rounding off the entourage, I would add that Isegahama could well be playing to sumo fans.  Terunofuji definitely has his share of current fans, but Aminishiki has a significant (if not huge) long-standing fanbase.  He is affectionately called "Ami-chan".  

Note too that Isegahama's kanreki event will be held on October 3rd, and Ami-chan's top-knot-snipping ceremony will occur the very next day.

 

So, Ama-chan and Ami-chan as attendants.  He should get backing from Sanrio Ltd.  "Asahifuji Kanreki Dohyo, brought to you by Hello Kitty."  Should clean up with the sujo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I can think of a few logical reasons why Aminishiki over Terunofuji: Aminishiki is related by blood, and (this should make @Amamaniac very happy) Aminishiki and Ama are arguably the most successful of the OG deshi of Isegahama, the ones with him since the Ajigawa days. As much as Isegahama had a hand in making Terunofuji, Terunofuji just doesn't go back as far and deep as the other two do.

It does ruin the opportunity for the first trio of Shiranui yokozuna doing a kanreki dohyo-iri, though.

That will be Hakuho because like Chiyonofuji, he will not be able to get any of the others or Asashoryu to be his attendant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be the first kanreki dohyo-iri where there is one attendant that reached yokozuna, and one that did not. It's either been both were former or active yokozuna, or two non-yokozuna attendants

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great news and very fitting. Isegahama oyakata does have his own set of imperfections (we all do) but he seems to be actually learning from them. Out of the current crop of senior oyakata I think I respect him most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

So, Ama-chan and Ami-chan as attendants.  He should get backing from Sanrio Ltd.  "Asahifuji Kanreki Dohyo, brought to you by Hello Kitty."  Should clean up with the sujo.

Ceramic Sumo Hello Kitty direct from Tokyo w/ friends...

Not that far-fetched...

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, this is a wonderful ceremony, and it is such an honor to have stayed healthy long enough to perform the ritual.  I am looking forward to video of this.

Back in the day, just making it to 60 as an ex-rikishi would have been worthy of note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now