Akinomaki

Kindai sumo club coach Ito in memoriam

The chief coach of the Kindai sumo club, ex-amateur yokozuna Katsuhito Ito has suddenly died 0:30a.m. today at age 55. He was the coach of Takarafuji, Tokushoryu, Asanoyama, Asagyokusei, Shimanoumi, Motobayashi - ex-Asanowaka, ex-Homarefuji -  and of last month's zennihon champion Tanioka. To Kindai from Goshogawara high in Aomori, like Isegahama-oyakata.

6080007238_20200118190612_s.jpgvid

yusho in  the open-weight category at the 1985 national weight category student championships

202001180000387-w200_0.jpgo 4.jpgo

Mainichi reports him as having been a model for a character in the film shiko funjatta

amateur yokozuna 1991 as Kindai coach - win by izori after tori-naoshi

4.jpgo

as Kindai coach - in 1995

AS20200118002196_commL.jpgo

chief coach since 2001

4.jpgo

with Motobayashi, as he entered Naruto-beya

4.jpgo

celebrating the yusho of Asanoyama (on the right of his waving arm)

AS20200118002160_commL.jpgo

at the zennihon Dec.2019, with Tanioka and with the club

4.jpgo 20200118-00000125-kyodonews-000-3-view.jpgo

AS20200118002743_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 4

Rather shocking! I noticed him in the background at most of the college events, and he was always smiling, even when his guys lost. He had a good rivalry with Nittaidai's Dr. Saito, with them facing off in back-to-back All Japan yusho matches and each winning once. In the mid-80s he was also thorn in the side of the biggest amateur star of the time, Kushima/Kushimaumi. Some of his matches are on YouTube but I can't search at the moment...a small but very skillful competitor. 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 2

A now very sad scene in the press today - Ito holding the photo of Asanoyama's late high school mentor Urayama at Asanoyama's first yusho. He also coached Urayama at Kindai, but before he  became main coach (kantoku). o

20200118-OHT1I50200-N.jpgo 20200118s00005000435000p_thum.jpgo

Ura's fond memory of Ito: Ito as fuku-shin made a mono-ii (igi-moushi-tate) at a 2013 world combat games light weight semi-final bout, and because of that Ura won it by izori and went on to win the title. http://hochi.news/articles/20200119-OHT1T50039.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Very sad news. He as a really nice guy. I think I saw a bout yesterday of him doing a beautiful izori on Dr Saito who was the first World Openweight Champion and the first to have the displeasure of tying my first proper mawashi.  

• Like 1

Just seen episode 5 of James May: Our Man in Japan documentary. In this episode, he visited Kinki University sumo club, watching his translator mate got lifted by students. Saw a bit of Ito-san in this part, James was introduced by the translator to Ito-san.

Quite a tribute for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1