Sign in to follow this  
Rocks

Games Talk - Hatsu 2020

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

The next GTB entry form will be quite tricky with a Yokozuna-Ozeki required.

Edit: Oh, and will the Yokozuna-Ozeki be eligible for both Yokozuna and Ozeki slot in all games that matter?

So far GTB entry only goes to M17, and a M18e is not impossible next tournament

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

q.e.d.
Only Chishafuwaku and Sakura didn't go down with Yutakayama in Toto today.

Mfo! I really respect Tochiozan this basho. Oyanagi had to do him early or he was at risk. Alas! The latter!

7 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

q.e.d.
Only Chishafuwaku and Sakura didn't go down with Yutakayama in Toto today.

But Yutakayama losing did cost me the win in bench.

20 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

So far GTB entry only goes to M17, and a M18e is not impossible next tournament

Uh oh..

Oracle Day 13:

Leader: Norizo
Choshu-Yuki -12
Pandaazuma -13
ScreechingOwl -16
Gurowake -20
Gansekiiwa, Haidouzo -22

I just remembered I forgot to do MechaJejima this basho, but it looks like he wasn't needed. The real Jejima has just picked 8-7, 7-8 alternately for everyone and he might win it because of the Yokozuna withdrawals.

1 hour ago, Pandaazuma said:

and he might win it because of the Yokozuna withdrawals.

Which were at least semi-predictable? At least for Kakuryu (I have Kakuryu high up in my UDH entry - and I see he is 6pts for many players there.)

I also have Hak down for a KK. If the only reason that I am doing well this basho (and may win it) is because (34 year old , and recently injury prone) Hakuho withdrew early from the basho, then I fear, as I implied a few basho back, that the game may have a few issues....

30 minutes ago, Jejima said:

I also have Hak down for a KK. If the only reason that I am doing well this basho (and may win it) is because (34 year old , and recently injury prone) Hakuho withdrew early from the basho, then I fear, as I implied a few basho back, that the game may have a few issues....

In the current state of things the yokozuna withdrawals have a huge amount of leverage: they can plausibly get 0-2 wins, or 11-14 wins, and almost nothing in between.  If you guess right, you get a huge margin over those who do not.  (~9 points)

On the other hand, most other rikishi are worth a point, maybe two, over the field: if people mostly predict 7s and 8s for rank-and-filers (which they do) it's basically just a KK/MK picking competition for a point.  

That means you have to get ~9 rikishi right to make up for getting one yokozuna wrong.   Teh Oops.   

3 hours ago, Jejima said:

Which were at least semi-predictable? At least for Kakuryu (I have Kakuryu high up in my UDH entry - and I see he is 6pts for many players there.)

Yes, the answer to the Yokozuna status is simply to treat then as regular rikishi at this point, a 7 or 8. Thanks to the games scoring. In the past 2 years or so Hak and Kak have only finished the same basho about a 1/3 of the time and it will only get worse.  Picking 7/8s for them means at worst you get a minus 1 out of those picks. Which is probably the best you can hope for in the future.

BTW, I came up with a even better way to shake up the scoring.

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

BTW, I came up with a even better way to shake up the scoring.

Don't be coy. ☺

8 hours ago, Jejima said:

Don't be coy. ☺

Okay, but I don't think anyone cares. Sorry it took so long. Bust at work all day.

Anyway, before I basically said make it 2 points down each step away from the correct score and maybe a point for a correct pick of a KK or MK. But that really just spreads the scores out, doesn't change the system to benefit correctly taking a risk.

Instead I came out with something I call Plus Side scoring. But I have no idea how you would implement it. Hopefully this makes sense.

The key part of this would be that scoring would move away from the correct score at an uneven pace depending on the rikishi MK or KK.

If a rikishi KKs and scores an 8 the scoring would be:

0 (-4) 1(-2) 2(0) 3(2) 4(4) 6(6) 7(8) 8(10) 9(9) 10(7) 11(5) 12(3) 13(1) 14(-1) 15 (-3)

The  points would change with the score so the same rikishi scoring 12 would be:

0(-14) 1(-12) 2(-10) 3(-8) 4(-6) 5(-4) 6(-2) 7(0) 8(2) 9(4) 10 (6) 11(8) 12 (10) 13 (9) 14(7) 15 (5)

The point of this being the player who errs on the high side for a score for a KK would do better. Same for erring low on a MK.

The rikishi getting an MK the points system would flip.

So a rikishi scoring a 7 would be:

0(-3) 1(-1) 2(1) 3(3) 4(5) 5(7) 6 (9) 7(10) 8(8) 9(6) 10(4) 11(2) 12(0) 13(-2) 14(-4) 15 (-6)

and so on...

Edited by Rocks
  • Like 1

It's already settled now that we'll see the cheapest yusho ever in Turn The Tide with less than 8 wins. Banzuke making will be fun...

47 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

It's already settled now that we'll see the cheapest yusho ever in Turn The Tide with less than 8 wins. Banzuke making will be fun...

Multiply by 3?

I assume that for all the during-basho games, A Yokozuna-Ozeki will just be treated like a Yokozuna.  Not sure how it will appear on the Kyokai website though, and how it should be handled for GTB.

Edited by Gurowake

Well, just went through the matches for Oracle and looks like I have zero shot at a KK this basho. I gain nothing over already decided matches for me and the 8 tossups I have are probably the same rikishi everyone needs to win. Fitting given how I've done all around this basho.

I hate senshuraku.

Rookie Joaoiyama was just one Takakeisho away from winning the DST yusho - tough luck!

• Thanks 1

Ugggh. 6-9s everywhere.  I'm glad this basho is over.

Well Toku cost me Odd yusho but I don't give a damn about that. Well done lad. I knew I should have put him top of all the games (seriously considered it last night) but I was too soft.

No idea why I am always so utterly rubbish in SG on senshuraku. Getting a bit tired of Yamashiro beating me on that day when I am very often a mile ahead on points over the basho, as I was again this time. He picked some right idiots and got away with them too. Regardless, 10-5 is perfectly fine with me after a 4-4 start. Annoyed to just miss the top ten in PO and Bingo. And I managed to sneak into 10th in Oracle, where I was very poor this time.

Roto and Quad were the best for Masters points. With Norizo still to come, I have almost 40 points, and I should get more in that game. So maybe 43 or 44. Considering I was not happy at all with my overall performance, that is a nice haul. No idea about green mawashi as I have had no time to check the standings of other players. I don't deserve it, that's for sure.

Will do the SG stats later or perhaps tomorrow.

Edited by Pandaazuma

Just glancing through the standings and it looks like me or Norizo for the Green. It is very close and the Norizo Cup will probably decide it so I expect him to win by a few points. In which case, Toku cost me the Green Mawashi!! Haha. If so, it was worth it. And as I said, I don't deserve it this time.

Kotononami did pretty as well. If he hadn't sat out a few games, he could have won it.

19 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I assume that for all the during-basho games, A Yokozuna-Ozeki will just be treated like a Yokozuna.  Not sure how it will appear on the Kyokai website though, and how it should be handled for GTB.

I was sure that I covered this eventuality in the original Bench Sumo rules written a couple of decades ago, but it seems that I didn't. However, yes, a Yokozuna-Ozeki will be considered a Yokozuna for the purposes of Bench Sumo. 

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Rookie Joaoiyama was just one Takakeisho away from winning the DST yusho - tough luck!

@Joaoiyama had a great basho all round. A real gamer has joined the fold! :)

• Thanks 1

Just got up to check the Bench results. :-)

I think it makes up for everything else this basho.

• Like 1

First basho playing 20+ games and it was the funnest basho i've ever had, some games i was pretty bad and some games i was in the yusho contention until the last day, i already miss the thrill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1