Sign in to follow this  
Rocks

Games Talk - Hatsu 2020

15 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

I've noted a certain bandwagon effect among foreign sumo fans. Popular Japanese rikishi tend to get slated and seriously underrated. I seriously considered predicting 8 wins for Enho in Oracle but ended up going with 7 as I thought he would probably lose to the Yokozuna duo. He's better than a lot of people think he is. And trickier. And smarter! (See today's bout).

There's always the chance that he gets Ura'd halfway through the basho though. He's just gonna get bent the wrong way one day.

Everyone is such a hot mess of injury though, its so hard to figure out what's going to happen now. I used to be able to remember all the big injuries being carried by everyone but not anymore...

8 hours ago, Rocks said:

That seems a bit lopsided but it is an Ozeki versus an M2. Yes, Mitakeumi is better than that, but not much so in this and last basho.  The opposite for Takakeisho. Plus Taka had beaten Mita 3 of the prior 4.

I would expect it about 66-34 for Takakeisho. Given that many of these players play a lot of the games and virtually all of them picked Takakeisho as their Ozeki pick I'm not surprised in went to 72-25. People will, subconsciously or not, pick who they want to win unless it's too far fetched like Endo-Enho.

I've picked Ikioi too many times this basho exactly because I think he should and want him to win. He's looking terrible this basho. I finally picked against him last night. And lost of course.

Can you pick tomorrow's bout please? Thank you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Can you pick tomorrow's bout please? Thank you.

Tough day. I wanted Shohozan-Yutakayama but only if Shohozan won. He didn't.

Tochiozan - Kagayaki would be my pick.

54 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Tough day. I wanted Shohozan-Yutakayama but only if Shohozan won. He didn't.

I already know the winner! ;)

I'm guessing it will be skewed in one direction but we shall see.. 

• Haha 1

Tochiozan is just that kind of rikishi who will rob most players of their points, no matter which way the pendulum swung. Remember Wakanosato?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Tochiozan is just that kind of rikishi who will rob most players of their points, no matter which way the pendulum swung. Remember Wakanosato?

Wakanosato was always really good for me. The worst for me was always Tokitenku (May he rest in peace). If I picked him, he lost. If I didn't, he won. These days for me it is bloody Mitoryu! No idea why!

37 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

These days for me it is bloody Mitoryu! No idea why!

These days, it's everbody for me except those who went kyujo.

• Haha 1

Ikioi is my game nemesis. He always manages to do the opposite I "tell" him. Okinoumi has been trying to join him for a few basho now.

23 hours ago, Rocks said:

65-106 to Kagayaki.

16 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

65-106 to Kagayaki.

Much closer in Toto with 31-2-44. "Ideal" pick today would have been Ikioi 37-1-39 Ishiura.

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Much closer in Toto with 31-2-44. "Ideal" pick today would have been Ikioi 37-1-39 Ishiura.

Exactly my point. ISP is a different animal.

• Like 1

Oracle Day 11:

Leader: Norizo
Choshu-Yuki -8
Pandaazuma -13
ScreechingOwl -14
Gurowake -16
Gansekiiwa -18
Haidouzo -20

Norizo is romping this one. Looks unbeatable.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

65-106 to Kagayaki.

60-40 split favoring Kagayaki. That's about what I figured. But I was pretty sure those 60% would be wrong. Kagayaki went against type and pulled it out.

Yesterday was a tough day to pick to find a match that could be even AND wasn't a snoozefest like a match between 2 low rankers with losing records.

I'm not suggesting the ISP match needs to be evenly split every day. Just that the pick presents some kind of real option for the players to pick either rikishi. Kagayaki is higher ranked and had 1 more win this basho. He should attract more picks. But he and Tochiozan are pretty evenly matched physically. They have both done well this basho and last. They both won the last 3 matches. Tochiozan had a slight edge face to face. Tochiozan was going for KK and Kagayaki had his. There was plenty of reason to pick Tochiozan. He just didn't win.

9 minutes ago, Rocks said:

60-40 split favoring Kagayaki. That's about what I figured. But I was pretty sure those 60% would be wrong. Kagayaki went against type and pulled it out.

Yesterday was a tough day to pick to find a match that could be even AND wasn't a snoozefest like a match between 2 low rankers with losing records.

I'm not suggesting the ISP match needs to be evenly split every day. Just that the pick presents some kind of real option for the players to pick either rikishi. Kagayaki is higher ranked and had 1 more win this basho. He should attract more picks. But he and Tochiozan are pretty evenly matched physically. They have both done well this basho and last. They both won the last 3 matches. Tochiozan had a slight edge face to face. Tochiozan was going for KK and Kagayaki had his. There was plenty of reason to pick Tochiozan. He just didn't win.

OK, I'll just add, again, that I thought (and was right) that Enhou had a chance, an even chance, of beating Endou. Most didn't. I and 11 others were right. To me, there was plenty of reason to pick Enhou. They had never met before. Enhou is unfathomable. Endou does pretty nerdy straightforward sumo. I felt he wouldn't know ho to handle the little guy, first encounter and all. I never check to see the last few days' records as to me they are irrelevant.  I play by gut, always have. Perhaps that's why I suck in the games, but there you have it. I do check for possible injuries, and I won't pick a match involving Tsurugishou or Chiyotairyuu, even if he did win today.. In the end, the  ISP pick is one man's choice based on one man's view. 

I think we've beaten this horse twice over. We disagree, that's fine. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

By "Toto" do you mean Sekitori-Toto? I've tried to play that for a few basho, but the links on the ST page don't go anywhere. Is that game active?

Unfortunately, some old links point to extinct sites. Got to the "Sumo Game Deadlines" post at the top of this subforum to find fresh ones for all games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Unfortunately, some old links point to extinct sites. Got to the "Sumo Game Deadlines" post at the top of this subforum to find fresh ones for all games.

That's what I do. It takes me to what it says is the Main Page (that says welcome to Natsu Basho 2010). Then every link goes here: https://uniregistry.com/market/domain/sumogames.com?landerid=sumogames5e19fb23d16559.39241658

Not that it would matter for this basho, just wanted to know the correct link for the next ones.

44 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

That's what I do. It takes me to what it says is the Main Page (that says welcome to Natsu Basho 2010).

Forget about the main page for Sekitoto - it doesn't exist anymore. But every other sublink in that thread works.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 13:39, Jakusotsu said:

q.e.d.
Only Chishafuwaku and Sakura didn't go down with Yutakayama in Toto today.

• Haha 1

The next GTB entry form will be quite tricky with a Yokozuna-Ozeki required.

Edit: Oh, and will the Yokozuna-Ozeki be eligible for both Yokozuna and Ozeki slot in all games that matter?

Edited by Jakusotsu