since_94

Observations from Ryogoku January 2020

Day 14, partially sunny through the clouds, 6 degrees. I lined up at 0550 and drew number 126. Saw latecomers who were lined up get the bad news tickets were sold out at 0815. There is extra security in place for the Emperor's attendance (metal detectors and bag inspections) so expect delays when entering. Tokushoryu and Shodai go head to head today, so we'll get to see what's up! See you at the fights!

• Like 3

I'm actually passing on going to the fights today. Just not that interested in the outcome, to be honest. Terunofuji's yusho is a done deal. Neither Ura nor Chiyonokuni scheduled to fight in the lower divisions. Most of my favorites have either sealed MK or KK. Most of all, I believe Shodai's confidence is probably blown and he will lose to Mitakeumi (0-2), making the outcome of the musubi no ichiban redundant. Could be a rather anticlimactic latter part of the afternoon. Of course, it might be an interesting playoff if this prognostication is wrong. Whether it's Shodai or Tokushoryu, I'll be happy for him. Either way, I'll hope the skies clear, hang around outside, and go see the winner celebrating in his victory parade when the dust settles.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Ura is in Jonidan Playoff No?

You're probably better informed than me. I was just looking at the torikumi. I only saw him fight once this tournament. It was weird to see a former headliner as Jonidan in a mostly empty Kokugikan. He fought Sandanme #82 Tatsukaze and won by oshidashi.

3 hours ago, since_94 said:

You're probably better informed than me. I was just looking at the torikumi. I only saw him fight once this tournament. It was weird to see a former headliner as Jonidan in a mostly empty Kokugikan. He fought Sandanme #82 Tatsukaze and won by oshidashi.

Ura just won his yusho ketteisen in front of a full kokugikan - and was all smiles

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1