Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

40 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Caption time

EOT-ijrUcAAFbli?format=jpg&name=small

You will go to your room - even if I have to carry you there kicking and screaming!

One of my top ten Sumo moments of all time. He did it before with Chiyotairu, but this one was way better. I'll always be a Tochinoshin fan.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I wanted to throw my throw cushion (sorry, no zabuton) when Goeido managed to win against no-pushover Daieisho.  Despite Goeido being an Ozeki, with his recent history and a 0-3 record, it was as if he were the underdog in that bout.  But with the semi-desperation head-lock throw (kubinage) at the end, he showed how dangerous and skilled he can be.  Kubinage will go down as his signature kimarite.  Expertly executed!

That was an amazing throw. Like a Boss, as the kids say. Goeido looked in top badass Ozeki form tonight. A rarity, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

what would you guys say the odds are for Kakuryu pulling out, then retiring (due to his recent records) and citing the fact that he almost instantly failed his goal as his reason for intai?

or the odds of Kakuryu sticking it out to the end and going make-koshi?

Watching him tonight I was wondering if it might be for the last time (in person, anyway)

Can one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum explain the outcome of the Kirabiyama / Tokushoryu match? On first watching I thought he had pulled off an Utchari and the gyoji seemed to agree, but was over-ruled. I don't speak Japanese so didn't get the explanation. Cheers in advance.

19 minutes ago, Morty said:

Can one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum explain the outcome of the Kirabiyama / Tokushoryu match? On first watching I thought he had pulled off an Utchari and the gyoji seemed to agree, but was over-ruled. I don't speak Japanese so didn't get the explanation. Cheers in advance.

The judge said that Kiribayama's body was up in the air (flying) first, so the gyoji's decision is reversed.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 2

Man, I saw myself in Enho as he flailed his legs and then completely gave up and accepted his fate. In that moment he was every man who has watched sumo and thought, “I’d like to have a go at that.”

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

The judge said that Kiribayama's body was up in the air (flying) first, so the gyoji's decision is reversed.

Thank you, appreciate it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morty said:

Thank you, appreciate it

No problemo.

This handsome fella was taking photos with lucky fans today.

EOUaDxVUEAAUhM1?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

No problemo.

This handsome fella was taking photos with lucky fans today.

EOUaDxVUEAAUhM1?format=jpg&name=900x900

And yellow suits him.

• Haha 4

On ladies day some lucky lasses in chair seats B got a rose from former ozeki Kirishima, now Michinoku oyakata.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Hakuho (and the other Yokozuna for that matter) have a tendency to start feeling aches and pains that might not have been there the day before when his record gets into treacherous territory. And it's true he could be dealing with an actual injury.

I'm fully expecting a kyujo announcement, although I'm hoping that won't be the case, as I'm going to the kokugikan today and want to see Hokutofuji collect another kinboshi with my own eyes. 

Called that one.

That Abi-Asanoyama match was solid! If Abi ever adds even a second tool, he’d be in the yusho hunt every basho. 

2 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

That bout was a cracking start to Makuuchi today. 

3 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Caption time

EOT-ijrUcAAFbli?format=jpg&name=small

You will go to your room - even if I have to carry you there kicking and screaming!

Tokyo Disneyland -- now featuring the Sky Crane!

I like how the gyoji was watching the feet there. Enho wasn’t exactly hanging on at the bales and Tochinoshin was within his rights to step out first as he was doing a tsuridashi, which is the only time it’s permissible. Not sure what the ref was looking for! Just a habit I suppose.

Edited by Eikokurai

Now i can die happy, i've always wanted to see Tochinoshin vs Enho and it turned out exactly how i thought it should be.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I like how the gyoji was watching the feet there. Enho wasn’t exactly hanging on at the bales and Tochinoshin was within his rights to step out first as he was doing a tsuridashi, which is the only time it’s permissible. Not sure what the ref was looking for! Just a habit I suppose.

Props on the topical change of your avatar photo! 

If it is in fact (and I have heard the same thing before) permissible to step out first while carrying an aite off the ground, why do we rarely if ever see it happen?  It's like wrestlers don't want to risk doing just that.

Ikioi is looking very lame in his matches, especially so today. It's not looking good for him. 

What the hell was Kotoeko doing vs Azumaryu? He ran a 360 around his opponent while Azumaryu was calmly looking and then left himself be unceremoniously slapped down. Strange bout. 

Not sure how Asanoyama of all rikishi managed to lose to winless Abi. Was he overconfident or caught offguard by an Abi he assumed to be in bad shape?

Anyway lots of possible yusho contenders got their first loss today and noone has been really convincing so far. As much as I like Hokutofuji I'm hesitant to suggest he could overcome his tendency to lose some very winnable bouts. This looks to turn out another basho with 12-3 yusho score... 

3 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Interesting. In the Utchari wins I recall in the last years, I remember the thrower up in the air too, sometimes more "dead body" than here. Back then, I accepted that they make an exception on the Shinitai for a well-executed Utchari.

Although the final decision is clearly within the rules, I still think, it is unlucky for Kiribayama as the throw was really great given the awkward position he was in.

This, or my memory is blurred :-)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Props on the topical change of your avatar photo! 

If it is in fact (and I have heard the same thing before) permissible to step out first while carrying an aite off the ground, why do we rarely if ever see it happen?  It's like wrestlers don't want to risk doing just that.

I change my pic most days actually, if I see a photo I like of a bout that caught my eye. Yesterday I had Hakuho’s post-bout expression in the shitakubeya.

As for the other, I couldn’t say. I just checked the kyokai website and it doesn’t mention the foot thing in the kimarite description, but I did check in my Japanese books before posting (as in books from Japan in Japanese, not books to learn Japanese) and it does make a point of saying it there. Where those books got it from I don’t know either. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dingo said:

Not sure how Asanoyama of all rikishi managed to lose to winless Abi. Was he overconfident or caught offguard by an Abi he assumed to be in bad shape?

I do think he was caught off guard. Abi came out in honey badger mode and Asanoyama didn't know what hit him until he was already outside the bales.

• Like 1

In times of trouble Goeido remembers his kubinage. I thought he had completely dropped it from his repertoire.

1 hour ago, Dwale said:

I do think he was caught off guard. Abi came out in honey badger mode and Asanoyama didn't know what hit him until he was already outside the bales.

While Asanoyama looks dominant when he can execute his sumo he often still looks helpless when it comes to defensive sumo. And the one thing about Abi is that if you underestimate his sumo you are almost sure to lose. Even Hakuho learned that the hard way. (Natsu 2018)

• Like 1