Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

I saw some pictures of the YDC. Does anyone have any info as to what they said this time?

47 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I saw some pictures of the YDC. Does anyone have any info as to what they said this time?

It seems they talked about Goeido’s retirement, the injuries to both Yokozuna, the usual comments about Hakuho using kachiage not being against the rules but not what the audience wants to see, and also that they see the changing of the guard happening before our eyes.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, since_94 said:

He just looks so lethargic and unenthusiastic before his bouts these days. People say he’s always been this way, but my recollection of his demeanor around 2016/2017 is different. Could be injuries, age, disillusionment. Dunno, but I don’t see much fire in his eyes.

Maybe he’s depressed about the fact that despite making it to Ozeki before more vaunted rivals, all those rivals managed to win a yusho before him. Seeing even Tokushoryu manage it can’t have been much fun either! Besides him Tochinoshin, Mitakeumi (x2), Tamawashi, Asanoyama and Takakeisho all got a yusho in tournaments after Takayasu became Ozeki. And now he’s not even an Ozeki anymore. Must get you down always being the nearly man.

✌
21 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Also, since Kotoshogiku's maiden yusho, there have been 9 wrestlers in the past 25 basho who have won the Emperor's cup for the first time:

- Kotoshogiku (1/2016)
- Goeido (9/2016)
- Kisenosato (1/2017)
- Tochinoshin (1/2018)
- Mitakuemi (7/2018)
- Takakeisho (11/2018)
- Tamawashi (1/2019)
- Asanoyama (5/2019)
- Tokushoryu (1/2020)

I think the is going to continue.   I will be yusho by the committee for a while.   

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Maybe he’s depressed about the fact that despite making it to Ozeki before more vaunted rivals, all those rivals managed to win a yusho before him. Seeing even Tokushoryu manage it can’t have been much fun either! Besides him Tochinoshin, Mitakeumi (x2), Tamawashi, Asanoyama and Takakeisho all got a yusho in tournaments after Takayasu became Ozeki. And now he’s not even an Ozeki anymore. Must get you down always being the nearly man.

I had the same thought myself. Commentators love to bring it up when discussing his career, and it must never be far from his mind. More demoralizing with each passing year, I would suspect.

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

He should go 0-0-15 kyujo next basho and come back healthy.  He will then be in a position to pull off a Tokushoryu.  (Detective...)

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

He should go 0-0-15 kyujo next basho and come back healthy.  He will then be in a position to pull off a Tokushoryu.  (Detective...)

This is a valid strategy for anyone.   There is another Tokushoryu out there.  

On 27/01/2020 at 13:08, Kaminariyuki said:

I suspect you are only tongue-in-cheek trolling here, but I have to point out that the two allegedly washed-up yokozuna still accounted for half of last year's yushos, and half of each year before that going back a few years. Hakuho may indeed be past his prime, but he looked pretty good in November when he snagged #43 (even if there were a couple of fortunate dances on the tawara), and healthy can give any living rikishi a run for his money. 

Oh yes, I am definitely tongue-in-cheek here. It was a not-entirely-obvious reference to a negative post about the yokozuna performances about 15 pages back, to which I'd responded. I mean, this thread is only 45 pages long and I know everyone only checks the forums for my witless banter, so I expect everyone to keep up! Tut tut!   ;-)

Edited by Benevolance
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Benevolance said:

I mean, this thread is only 45 pages long and I know everyone only checks the forums for my witless banter, so I expect everyone to keep up! Tut tut!

Don't sell yourself short -- I'm here for your witty banter, too!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

Oh yes, I am definitely tongue-in-cheek here. It was a not-entirely-obvious reference to a negative post about the yokozuna performances about 15 pages back, to which I'd responded. I mean, this thread is only 45 pages long and I know everyone only checks the forums for my witless banter, so I expect everyone to keep up! Tut tut!   ;-)

Count me in. I'll try to keep up...

19 hours ago, Sakura said:

Grumpy complaints, obvious observations, useless maunderings. The usual.

• Haha 4

On 29/01/2020 at 05:03, Eikokurai said:

It seems they talked about Goeido’s retirement, the injuries to both Yokozuna, the usual comments about Hakuho using kachiage not being against the rules but not what the audience wants to see, and also that they see the changing of the guard happening before our eyes.

The YDC will probably discuss Hakuho's kachiage long after he's retired. It's just so much fun, isn't it? 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 23:43, Amamaniac said:

While I have yet to spot who is serving as Takanosho's tsukebito, I can confirm that Takanosho himself is still serving as Takakeisho's main tsukebito.  

I have promised on a few occasions that I would keep a eye out for who Takanosho's tsukebito is.  Well, while reviewing day 7's NHK broadcast, I spotted him.  From my list of Chiganoura Stable wrestlers, I feel fairly confident that said tsukebito is Sandanme Taichiyama.

• Like 2