Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Always blows my mind when folks start talking about a potential yusho winner within the first few days of a basho...

• Like 7

Just now, CT3* said:

Always blows my mind when folks start talking about a potential yusho winner within the first few days of a basho...

It will take your head clean off then to learn that some people predict winners before the basho has even begun. (Whistling...)

• Haha 9

59 minutes ago, CT3* said:

i would never do that.

asanoyama vs hokutofuji for yusho. :D

• Haha 6

Oh, man, today was worth a watch for Hakuho's angry face alone. Man, was he ever pissed. Endo better watch himself next time they meet, Hakuho isn't gonna let that slide...

This has been an unusually heated basho thus far. Things may settle into a predictable rhythm later, but then again, maybe not. 

Terunofuji wasn't as overwhelming today down in juryo, but he still looked pretty good. I'm hopeful for his return to makuuchi. Never realized how much I liked the guy until we suddenly didn't have him anymore.

I don't wanna say Takayasu won't manage ten, but he really doesn't look like he's gonna pull it off. And that's a shame if so, but I'll keep cheering him regardless.

Mitakeumi managed to get out of that? o.o; Wow. Things not looking so hot for Goeido...

Asanoyama continues to impress. I think he'll make ozeki, maybe not as fast as he'd like, but eventually. 

• Like 1

(Laughing...)   Now the YDC will be happy and will not blame Hak for using kachiage in this basho any more ... 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dapeng said:

(Laughing...)   Now the YDC will be happy and will not blame Hak for using kachiage in this basho any more ... 

There was no kachiage ... this time!  But Hakuho did land a rather lame face slap with his left hand straight out of the tachiai.  The tentativeness of that slap suggests a certain lack of tenacity in the Yokozuna, something on which observers have been commenting.

After Endo had stepped down off the dohyo with his "kensho haul", the crowd started chanting, clapping and calling out Endo's name five times!  One minute they are throwing their zabuton cushions in disgust with to celebrate the upset of the Yokozuna loss, and then they rally behind Endo and his big victory.  I don't think I've ever seen the Kokugikan crowd get so enthusiastically riled up about an upset.

Given the general response on this Forum, I would say that that enthusiasm was shared around the world!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

Hattorizakura seems to have missed the first round of torikumi. Anyone know why? (Perhaps he got stuck in a paper bag somewhere...)

In last few bashos Hattorizakura “missed” a round of torikumi, only to play twice in 2 days

23 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

In last few bashos Hattorizakura “missed” a round of torikumi, only to play twice in 2 days

Presumably an odd number of rikishi overall.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

One minute they are throwing their zabuton cushions in disgust

I always thought the zabuton are thrown to cheer for the upsetter, like hats are thrown in the western hemisphere.

In comparison to the Harumafuji-hop, i value this match even higher. But we have to acknowledge Hakuho's skills too, because any other wouldn't have survived the first leg trip.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

Does anyone know what other rikishi have had back-to-back kinboshi? Alas, my database query skills are...I would say rudimentary, but I'm pretty sure non-existent is closer to the mark. 

Haven´t looked deeper, but my money is on Akinoshima. He had two kinboshi in a basho four times.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

Does anyone know what other rikishi have had back-to-back kinboshi? Alas, my database query skills are...I would say rudimentary, but I'm pretty sure non-existent is closer to the mark. 

According to my files, Endo is the 19th rikishi to win kinboshi on consecutive days, and the first since 2018 Hatsu when Yoshikaze did it for the second time.

Basho		Winner		Days	Defeated

1948 Aki	Kamikaze	4, 5	Maedayama, Terukuni
1949 Natsu	Kotonishiki	5, 6	Azumafuji, Terukuni
1955 Hatsu	Wakasegawa	3, 4	Kagamisato, Tochinishiki
1955 Hatsu	Asashio		8, 9	Chiyonoyama, Tochinishiki
1958 Hatsu	Iwakaze		2, 3	Yoshibayama, Chiyonoyama
1961 Kyushu	Hagurohana	3, 4	Asashio, Wakanohana I
1964 Aki	Toyokuni	4, 5	Taiho, Kashiwado
1965 Natsu	Kairyuyama	5, 6	Kashiwado, Taiho
1979 Aki	Misugiiso	4, 5	Kitanoumi, Mienoumi
1982 Aki	Daijuyama	1, 2	Kitanoumi, Chiyonofuji
1984 Aki	Ozutsu		6, 7	Chiyonofuji, Takanosato
1990 Haru	Akinoshima	7, 8	Hokutoumi, Chiyonofuji
1998 Kyushu	Kaio		2, 3	Takanohana, Wakanohana III
1999 Aki	Tochiazuma	1, 2	Takanohana, Musashimaru
2003 Kyushu	Tochinonada	2, 3	Asashoryu, Musashimaru
2014 Nagoya	Osunaarashi	5, 6	Kakuryu, Harumafuji
2015 Aki	Yoshikaze	2, 3	Hakuho, Kakuryu
2016 Aki	Okinoumi	2, 3	Kakuryu, Harumafuji
2018 Hatsu	Yoshikaze	4, 5	Hakuho, Kisenosato
2020 Hatsu	Endo		1, 2	Kakuryu, Hakuho

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

10 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

Endo is the 3rd post war rikishi to win back to back kinboshi on the first 2 days, the last was Tochiazuma Aki 1999 https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202001130000708.html

Edit: the detailed list above shows that the 1st was Daijuyama Aki 1982

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

whoa, look at Yoshikaze having done it TWICE!  mister kinboshi Akinoshima only once.  very surprising there.

Feels good to jump in excitement after a bout. Great match by Endo, a fine technician, maybe the finest of the banzuke.

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

There was no kachiage ... this time!  But Hakuho did land a rather lame face slap with his left hand straight out of the tachiai.  The tentativeness of that slap suggests a certain lack of tenacity in the Yokozuna, something on which observers have been commenting.

After Endo had stepped down off the dohyo with his "kensho haul", the crowd started chanting, clapping and calling out Endo's name five times!  One minute they are throwing their zabuton cushions in disgust with the Yokozuna loss, and then they rally behind Endo and his big victory.  I don't think I've ever seen the Kokugikan crowd get so enthusiastically riled up about an upset.

Given the general response on this Forum, I would say that that enthusiasm was shared around the world!

The biggest difference between the two great yokozuna of Hak and Asa is that Hak knows the importance of loss ...... 

8 hours ago, lackmaker said:

I've seen some early calls before but that foot now has a long way to go this year.

#Kotoshoho

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It will take your head clean off then to learn that some people predict winners before the basho has even begun. (Whistling...)

#SumoGaming

Just now, Pandaazuma said:

#SumoGaming

It's what all the hip kids are doing these days.

13 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I know that it is still much too early to be predicting the yusho winner, but ...

Two straight kinboshi by Endo puts him in a pretty good position.  With a 2-0 record and having fought the toughest opponents on the banzuke already, with the other Sanyaku wrestlers looking rather vulnerable (except perhaps Asanoyama), Endo has a shot at his first yusho.

It's a bit early to talk yusho, but he probably at least has the inside track for a sansho, if the rest of his tournament goes reasonably well. And he'll put Goeido in a rather sticky spot if he wins tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Benihana said:

I always thought the zabuton are thrown to cheer for the upsetter, like hats are thrown in the western hemisphere.

In comparison to the Harumafuji-hop, i value this match even higher. But we have to acknowledge Hakuho's skills too, because any other wouldn't have survived the first leg trip.

I had the pleasure of tossing my zabuton a couple years ago when Endo upset Kakuryu, which led to Tochinoshin taking the yusho. 

It was absolutely done out of delight at the upset rather than out of disgust for the Yokozuna losing, and I'm pretty sure most of the other cushions flying around me were thrown in the same spirit.

Incidentally, mine nearly conked Endo in the head. 

• Like 3

I can’t stop watching that Endo-Hakuho bout, and every time I do I like Endo a bit more. I’ve always been fairly ambivalent about him, but that little lick of his tongue when he wins delights me no end. He showed a bit of a spunk there. I approve.

I've also watched it about 10 times. Some brilliant Sumo and to see Hal with that much dirt on him is a rarity. A kimarite I don't know if I've ever seen before. The spontaneous Endo chanting was special too. Great Sumo moment.

Great to see Endo pick up his win against Hakuho and the crowd reaction was something to behold. Two kinboshi on consecutive days is incredible. The look of anger on Hakuho's face really said it all.