Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is outstanding. I'm so happy for Tokushoryu.

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I wish my Japanese was better. Tokushoryu has the crowd in stitches.

Agreed. Can't wait for the translation.

"You lied when you said you don't think about the yusho, didn't you?" "I kept training for the interview"

• Haha 8

Agree with the others. That was an awesome interview. I wish I had the time to translate it, but have to rush to work.

25 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Man. He earned it. He deserves it.

The most improbably yusho we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

Congrats Tokushoryu. 

I second that!   He beat Shodai and Takakeisho, the two closest yusho pursuer.  

Takakeisho has proven again that he needs to improve on the belt game.   Or, go with his one-dimensional but effective style. 

• Like 1

macaroon was pink.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Shodai was positively deflated during his sansho interview. 

I'll bet. I'm sure when he won he thought there would be a playoff and he wasn't going to lose to Tohosoryu twice.

2 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Just now, Rocks said:

I'll bet. I'm sure when he won he thought there would be a playoff and he wasn't going to lose to Tohosoryu twice.

I think this is the best outcome though. It's shown Shodai what he's capable of and hopefully the near miss only fuels his determination. 

For Tokushoryu, such an unlikely but thoroughly well deserved win is great for a man who has been in sumo so long, I can't even fathom what this must mean to him. 

The Shodai of the last two basho will have his turn, I'm sure. 

• Like 3

You gotta love Tokushoryu man, such a down to earth likable and funny guy. I am so happy for him, if it was easy to get a yusho at such a low rank it would happen a lot more often. He had some serious opponents and still managed 14 wins, yes 14.  Congratulations to him !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

It must suck when your final record is enough to win you the yusho most other times. 13-2 would have been enough to take the cup in half the tournaments last year. Mitakeumi won with 12-3 just in September; Asanoyama did the same in May.

Edited by Eikokurai

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It must suck when your final record is enough to win you the yusho most other times. 13-2 would have been enough to take the cup in half the tournaments last year. Mitakeumi won with 12-3 just in September; Asanoyama did the same in May.

Well, he did have it in his own hands yesterday...

• Like 1

If someone could post a transcript of the whole interview, that would be very nice.

When Tokushoryo dropped to J11 in 2018, i already thought the end is near. Now this. He surely isn't the next Yokozona, Ozeki, Sekiwake or even Komusubi, a KK at the joi next basho would be remarkable. All his basho above M7 ended in MK, in fact only in 2 of his 8 single-digit-maegashira basho he could produce a KK. But he deserves the yusho and where he is going now, even if it only means a handful more makuuchi basho.

15 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

If he wasn't, he'd be a robot.   He showed human emotion in his last several bouts.   I liked it.    Tokushoryu?   What can I say?   His tears of joy were absolutely understandable.

• Like 1

A topsy turvy basho!   I can't wait for the next one. 

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

Well, he did have it in his own hands yesterday...

He did. Still must be hard to swallow.

1 minute ago, Benihana said:

When Tokushoryo dropped to J11 in 2018, i already thought the end is near. Now this.

On a vaguely related note, around half of all GTB players last time didn't even expect him to be in makuuchi here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

On a vaguely related note, around half of all GTB players last time didn't even expect him to be in makuuchi here...

And the runaway top pick to have the worst record in UDH

• Like 1

Hands down the best interview ever. Very funny and genuinely heartfelt and moving. I am no sentimentalist but he had me filling up a bit in the eyeballs section, both in the speech and also on seeing his reaction to beating the strongest ozeki with totally legit and strong sumo. 

One for the ages. Well done, lad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Tokuhoryu also gets the prize for the most funny yusho interview ever - and the most tearful as well - he dedicated the win to his late Kindai mentor Ito http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/39622-kindai-sumo-club-coach-ito-in-memoriam/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tokushoryu made no mention of his former shisho, the great Kitanoumi.  I think he would have been proud.

Edited by Amamaniac

A Nara Prefecture rikishi, the birthplace of sumo, takes the yusho for the first time in 98 years. Well done Tokushoryu. What an exciting finish!

Another sight to behold. A yusho winner with a higher ranked flag bearer.

Is it alright if take the yusho? (When asked how he feels now).

I might be the lowest in makuuchi, but I'm not weak, so (when asked about his position on the banzuke).

I was practicing for this interview (when I said I'm not thinking about the yusho in the other days interview).

My throat was dry (When asked why he called for the yobidashi to hand him a ladle of water in the shikiri).

Man, his lines. 

Tokushoryu's yusho full Interview, I did my best but far from perfect.

Question guy : This is your first  the yusho, congratulations !

Tokushoryu : Thank you very much ! (bows in every direction)

Question guy : What do you think of the athmosphere of the Kokugikan right now ?

Tokushoryu : I am just wondering, is it ok for me to get the yusho ?

Question guy : If we look at that last bout I think everyone would agree you deserve it !

Tokushoryu : I appreciate very much if people are happy for me

Question guy : You were M17W last rank on the makuuchi banzuke...

Tokushoryu : yes I was but I didn't feel scared, I just felt I just have to give my best and to keep going.

Q : Around the midway point of the basho people probably talked to you about getting the yusho right ?

T : I wasn't thinking about it at all, well that's a lie... I was thinking about it quite a lot ! (laugh)

Q: Even when you were sole leader you declared "I'm not thinking about the yusho", so that was a lie ?

T: Yes aha I was practising for this interview.

Q: What were your impressions when you saw you were paired with Takakeisho to fight in the musubi

T: Well, I just kept telling myself that it was enough to keep going while giving all I have, enough if I manage a good tachiai. I did that all basho long so I approched senshuraku with the same feeling.

Q: During the jikan mae part of the pre bout ritual we saw you drink a bit of water...

T: Yeah, my throat was quite dry (laugh)

Q: Were you thinking 'if I win this one I am champion' ?

T: I didn't think about that, I just thought let's concentrate on that one and see how it goes (probably a lie too...)

Q: you god a migi yotsu grip and relentlessly attacked ozeki Takakeisho, it was probably your best bout this tournament

T: yes I got my grip and attacked, Takakeisho was moving around the dohyo so I thought it could be dangerous but I thought I had no choice but to keep going.

Q: Did something give you strength you in that dangerous moment  ?

T: My mentor and coach at Kindai university, Mr.Itô passed away during the basho (tears). I felt that he was not just watching me but actually there with me on the dohyo.

Q: I think your coach can see you standing you there right now, is there anything you would have liked to tell him ?

T: I've always wanted to bring him a good news, every time I feel weak I try to remember his face.

Q: it's the first time in 98 years that a rikishi from the Nara prefecture wins the yusho

T: Aha yeah sorry about that...

Q: You have some good news to report to your local support

T: yes, I believe I do

Q: You are 33 years old but young rikishi are in the spotlight recently, what do you think about that ?

T: I just give my best and tell myself 'you are not 33 years old already, you are only 33'

Q: you were returning to makuuchi from juryo this basho and declared you always want to aim higher, what is your aim now following that result ? (shouts of "Yokozuna" in the arena)

T: I want to go how far I can go !

Q: What sumo do you want to do next basho ?

T: I want to do my own dynamic sumo

Q: Your mother is in the building today

T: I can't say that all the time cause it's a bit embarassing, but mom, dad, thank you so much for raising me !

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202001260000564.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 20