Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Yikes. Goeido is heading towards Ozekiwake in a hurry.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

No doubt about the spirited bout poll winner today

• Like 1

Wow just wow I've never seen Hakuhou losing like this, Endo was brillant. 2nd Kinboshi in two days for the pretty boi.

• Thanks 1

Kirikaeshi? I have to see this!

First time in Hakuho's career that he's lost to that technique.

Edited by Eikokurai

I thought Hakuho could still win after losing some balance, but Endo's execution is "picture-perfect sumo" of the day

Gutted to see all 3 Miyagino's makuuchi rikishi lose today, when I saw Shodai got easy grab on Enho, it's game over

Amazing bout from Endou. Watching sumo for 3 years now and is my first time seeing Endou without a poker face! He is probably about to burst from happiness.

cheekyEndou.jpg

• Like 9

I know that it is still much too early to be predicting the yusho winner, but ...

Two straight kinboshi by Endo puts him in a pretty good position.  With a 2-0 record and having fought the toughest opponents on the banzuke already, with the other Sanyaku wrestlers looking rather vulnerable (except perhaps Asanoyama), Endo has a shot at his first yusho.  Keep in mind that we have seen four straight first-time Top Division champions in the hatsubasho (January tournaments) since 2016.  Could Endo make it five straight?

• Like 5

Does anyone know what other rikishi have had back-to-back kinboshi? Alas, my database query skills are...I would say rudimentary, but I'm pretty sure non-existent is closer to the mark. 

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I know that it is still much too early to be predicting the yusho winner, but ...

Two straight kinboshi by Endo puts him in a pretty good position.  With a 2-0 record and having fought the toughest opponents on the banzuke already, with the other Sanyaku wrestlers looking rather vulnerable (except perhaps Asanoyama), Endo has a shot at his first yusho.  Keep in mind that we have seen four straight first-time Top Division champions in the hatsubasho (January tournaments) since 2016.  Could Endo make it five straight?

We had some unexpected yusho takers since Kotoshogiku started it about four years ago.   So, I say it is not out of the question for Endo to win it all.    Anyway, the race is wide open for now as it should be after only day 2.   

That was a hard fall by Hak.   I wonder if he won't feel it on day 3.

If that matta by Endo was deliberate, that was brave as hell, because I'm fairly sure that's what set Hakuho off last time.

Wow. Okay. I just caught up with the action. I have to say I’ve never seen Hakuho like that. He seemed completely caught off guard and panicked into a defence he never expected to have to make. Endo came with a plan and humbled the GOAT. The great man was floundering. I almost felt sorry for him.

Day two of Hatsu and we may have our “Bout of the year” already.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tochinofuji said:

Does anyone know what other rikishi have had back-to-back kinboshi?

Okinoumi at Aki 2016 beat Kakuryu on day 2 and Harumafuji on day 3.

• Thanks 2

Terrific start to the new year by Hokutofuji.

Could this be the year he takes the next step and establishes himself as a sanyaku mainstay?

• Like 1

Hak was seriously NOT HAPPY at the end of that. Beaten on the belt by a guy who did a matta on him.... When was the last time that happened (if ever)? Great bout, was yelling at the computer.

And it really feels like The Last Gasp of the Old Brigade this basho. Tochiozan, Kotoshogiku, Goeido, Takayasu, Tochinoshin, Ikioi and Kakuryu. Sure, some of them won but none of them looked very convincing and all seem to be on a serious downward slide. I wouldn't be surprised if none of them are still in Makuuchi this time next year (I'm not predicting that, because it is extremely unlikely, just saying that, if it happens, I wouldn't be at all surprised). But they are all getting pushed around by younger, stronger guys, they are all crocked with injuries, and the end of their careers is much, much closer than the start.

7 minutes ago, Morty said:

Hak was seriously NOT HAPPY at the end of that. Beaten on the belt by a guy who did a matta on him.... When was the last time that happened (if ever)? Great bout, was yelling at the computer.

And it really feels like The Last Gasp of the Old Brigade this basho. Tochiozan, Kotoshogiku, Goeido, Takayasu, Tochinoshin, Ikioi and Kakuryu. Sure, some of them won but none of them looked very convincing and all seem to be on a serious downward slide. I wouldn't be surprised if none of them are still in Makuuchi this time next year (I'm not predicting that, because it is extremely unlikely, just saying that, if it happens, I wouldn't be at all surprised). But they are all getting pushed around by younger, stronger guys, they are all crocked with injuries, and the end of their careers is much, much closer than the start.

Takayasu’s was a very ugly win. At one point mid-bout he seemed to pull his left arm back as if to avoid using it and when he did eventually win it was very clumsy and frankly he was more than a little fortunate that Okinoumi went out before he went down. A win is a win but I’m not convinced he’s well enough to even last 10 days let alone manage 10 wins.

Edited by Eikokurai

3 hours ago, Djihi said:

Amazing bout from Endou. Watching sumo for 3 years now and is my first time seeing Endou without a poker face! He is probably about to burst from happiness.

cheekyEndou.jpg

Did I miss something, or did Endo actually bite off one of the Dai Yokozuna's fingers!  OMG. (Eek...)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Yikes. Goeido is heading towards Ozekiwake in a hurry.

I think he is still feeling the ankle and not fully fit.

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

It’s not such an outrageous suggestion. As we know Endo has long been tipped for great things but never quite lived up to the hopes, but for the last year he hasn’t fallen below M2. He’s in the form of his career right now and who knows, maybe he can enjoy a brief spell in the limelight for the right reasons before his own star begins to fade (he’s 29 so not one of the next generation). 

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

That was a hard fall by Hak.   I wonder if he won't feel it on day 3.

Yes, it was. Right on his ribs. I would not be surprised to see an injury out of that.  Great win for Endo though.

Takayasu looks very iffy. Goeido wishes he looked that good. Tochi wins but it's a long haul to KK.

Speaking of injuries, Meisei is a pretty good 1 armed fighter. Not that it did him much good but heck of an effort. Easy win for Enho Day 3 I think though.

I've only seen Hakuho lose so convincingly and in solid fashion to Kakuryu, Kisenosato, young Terunofuji,  Asashoryu and Harumafuji. I felt to excited with Endo's win i started jumping around and screaming, it really reminded me of this epic match which in my opinion is the greatest of all time along with Takanohana vs Wajima in Aki 72.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

And while I'm on the topic, who will the most likely candidate be for Rookie of the Year in 2020?  Kiribayama has his foot in the door, so to say.

I've seen some early calls before but that foot now has a long way to go this year.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ack! said:

And the 2020s is a 10-year period, hence a decade.  A decade is simply a period of 10 years.  2011-2020 is a decade, but so are 2010-2019 and 2020-2029.  It is far more common and convenient to refer to the "decade of the '20s" although it does cause accounting problems in counting backward.  Both sides of this discussion are equally valid.

I'll take common and convenient.

Hattorizakura seems to have missed the first round of torikumi. Anyone know why? (Perhaps he got stuck in a paper bag somewhere...)

• Haha 2