Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Wow. Was that really Takakeisho? 

Beating Tochinoshin by kotenage? Not in a million years...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

Beating Tochinoshin by kotenage? Not in a million years...

... and it was a violent one at that.  (Noddingyes...)

• Like 1

Goeido gave it his all there but the future Ozeki version of Asanoyama turned up today. 

So, we have one Ozeki in March then.

• Like 1

Every basho is crazy with injuries, upsets, an unexpected turn of events, etc..   But this basho has been crazier than others.   Tokushoryu's yusho will top it off.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Every basho is crazy with injuries, upsets, an unexpected turn of events, etc..   But this basho has been crazier than others.   Tokushoryu's yusho will top it off.  

Nope. Shodai.

Enho!  (Applauding...)

He was unbelievable tonight against Takayasu. The Kokugikan crowd was completely electrified.

• Like 1

Why was the kimarite in Chiyotairyu’s win over Aoiyama called as kotenage? It looks closer to a kubihineri to me.

• Haha 1

.... Tokushoryu's yusho will top it off.  

Top it off? If he wins then that shows me how bad things really are at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Well, Tokushoryu won his last four encounters with Kagayaki and is 2-3 against Yutakayama (winning the most recent), so go figure...

This is where I say you were right and I was wrong Part One (Sigh...)

But I was right that he'd get Kagayaki, then Yutakayama

Edited by Morty
  • Like 1

We need an Ozeki Enho thread! ;)

I am fully supporting Tokushoryu this basho. Go on, lad. Rough bout tomorrow. But you can do it.

• Haha 1

We're heading into a Shodai-Tokushoryu showdown at Senshuraku, and poor Takakeisho can crush Goeido and Asanoyama and still has no say in it. Assuming, the leading duo can win their bouts which is quite possible at the moment, and the committee sticks to the usual Ozeki schedule, and Goeido does not kyujo. (a handful of "if"s!)

5 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Asakayama oyakata aka ex-ozeki Kaio became the unfortunate ringside victim of makushita rikishi Okinofuji and Amakaze falling on his thigh at the conclusion of their match. "I heard a crunching sound" said the man who at one time owned the most makuuchi and all time wins records. He had to be wheeled away from the dohyo with a painful look on his face and was checked in the back before being transported to a Tokyo hospital.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202001230000355.html

Diagnosis? Severe cold, two weeks to heal?

No seriously. Kaio, my man: get well.

(But don't break anyone's elbow.)

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Goeido gave it his all there but the future Ozeki version of Asanoyama turned up today. 

So, we have one Ozeki in March then.

Yes, and since there must always be 2 Ozeki on a banzuke, that also means we will have the return of the Yokozuna-Ozeki. My guess is that will be Hakuho, but it could also be Kakuryu, as both only had 1 win this basho... Does 1-3-11 trump 1-4-10 or vice-versa?  ;-)

I had a quick look to see when the last time was that there was only 1 Ozeki and we thus had a Yokozuna-Ozeki on the banzuke, and as far as I can tell that was as far back as the  Hatsu basho of 1982 (January 1982)  when Yokozuna Wakanohana I was listed as such. The lone Ozeki at the time was Kotokaze.

Someone please correct me if I got that wrong...

Edited by Chijanofuji
  • Thanks 1

Watershed: After years of waiting, I was able to witness the rank finally be freed of the last remaining Fauxzeki infestation, that made watching sumo so difficult at times.

Watershed is also a great album.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andreas21 said:

We're heading into a Shodai-Tokushoryu showdown at Senshuraku, and poor Takakeisho can crush Goeido and Asanoyama and still has no say in it. Assuming, the leading duo can win their bouts which is quite possible at the moment, and the committee sticks to the usual Ozeki schedule, and Goeido does not kyujo. (a handful of "if"s!)

Takakeisho had his say when he faced – and lost to – Shodai earlier in the basho.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 5

Could be seeing both Kotoshogiku and Goeido retire this basho.

Juryo Nishikigi, first kachikoshi in 7 bashos, first daughter born last November: " I was going to tell about my daughter after my kachikoshi. It's not good when you don't earn your income.."

Terutsuyoshi, 4th loss and moves away from the yusho race: "I was really into it but I wasn't thinking about the yusho possibility at all. I'd like to finish the last three days without injury."

Kiribayama, newbie kachikoshi: "I'm happier than when I got my past kochikoshis. Excellent.the best!"

Kotoshougiku, 5 straight makekoshi bashos: "Instead of being 'round' I should be showing rougher sumo. I'm in a rut." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Evening news sumo highlights in Japan:

Enho shitatenage everywhere. 

Sato kotenage too.

No mention whatsoever of a certain ozeki losing his rank.

Not surprised at all, but it is disgraceful journalism.

Edited by Pandaazuma
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Could be seeing both Kotoshogiku and Goeido retire this basho.

A few days ago I drafted, but didn’t post, a question asking what people thought the possibility was for multiple intai after this basho. Personally, I don’t think Goeido will go until he’s taken his Ozekiwake shot, but it’s not entirely in the realm of fantasy.

4 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Evening news sumo highlights in Japan:

Enho shitenage everywhere. 

Sato kotenage too.

No mention whatsoever of a certain ozeki losing his rank.

Not surprised at all, but it is disgraceful journalism.

It’s on Nikkan at least.

https://www.nikkansports.com/m/battle/sumo/news/202001230000817_m.html

Edited by Eikokurai

2 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Diagnosis? Severe cold, two weeks to heal?

No seriously. Kaio, my man: get well.

(But don't break anyone's elbow.)

Has anyone news about Asakayama oyakata, ex-ozeki Kaio ??? Please give us news of the severity of the injury here.