Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

What a freakin' weird day!  Sadanoumi "Kotoshogiku"s Kotoshogiku, Mitakeumi "Endo"s Endo, and Tochinoshin "Asanoyama"s Asanoyama.

Also a little sad: getting to the end of the highlight reel and saying to myself, "Hey, there's one bout left.  Who hasn't wrestled yet?  Oh, it's Goeido and somebody.  Yeah ... "

Such a let-down feeling without a Yokozuna or a compelling match at the end.

• Haha 2

After 10 days of competition, only 5 guys in the Makuuchi division have secured kachi-koshi. Wow...

• Like 1

Terunofuji, ex-Ozeki with 10 straight wins in Juryo, leading the race alone: "I was aiming for double digit wins before the basho so I'm happy i achieved that. I want to do sumo where I use all my power."

Chiyomaru, being tsukiotoshi'd by Tokushouryuu who has never beaten him in 6 Makuuchi bouts before: "I tried to force it and over-attacked.. This basho, Tokushouryuu is in better shape!"

Terutsuyoshi, getting shoved back by Aoiyama after a matta: "When someone does that to me it lights a fire under me. it's like adding oil to an already burning fire.."

Shouhouzan, beaten by red-hot Shoudai: "Nothing special about my opponent. Tomorrow is another day."

Tochinoshin, throwing down Asanoyama who likes the same grip: "I was calm and that was good."

Asanoyama, 4th loss: "I couldn't see it through. If I don't do the little things that need to be done, the important wins won't come."

Takayasu, aimed to return to Ozeki after one basho and failed, but beat Abi in his first bout after that disappointment by hatakikomi: " I managed a good tachiai. I will concentrate and continue till the end!"

Takarafuji, beating Goueidou in the final match of the day: "I went up there calmly, telling myself it was OK to lose, and that worked. A lot of kensho money.."

Goueidou, 3-7 one more loss and he drops to Sekiwake: "I couldn't save myself. All I can do is give it my all and try to bring to the dohyo the things I have done till now..  I can't generate much power,  but I'm not impatient. "

Yutakayama, 8-2 and in the race. "Aiming for the yusho is natural. I will follow the guy with one loss. I've been pretty stable so far. One bout a day. All I can do is do my own brand of sumo.."

Takakeishou, beating Enhou: "I lost yesterday, so I felt deep inside this was an important match. If I had lost today it would have been three losses, and maybe I might suffer my fourth as well.. I didn't give much though to my opponent's tactics. "

Enhou, losing to Takakeishou: "I wasn't planning anything in particular. This is my ability at the moment.. My opponent was manifold better than me. "

Shoudai, still in the lead with one loss: "My body is responding well. My opponent likes a left hand grip so I had to keep him away. The rest came with the flow. I still have top ranked opponents to face, so.. I just need to do sumo that would connect to tomorrow and the results will come.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

Enho - is he currently joijin? I notice that since the two Yokozuna are kyujo, Enho at M-5 is wrestling both of the ozeki, and he beat Goeido in an excellent display of speed. I seem to recall that joijin describes all of the top megashira who have to wrestle the sanyaku. And, the little guy has a serious shot at yet another KK. I think March last year was his first Makuuchi, and he's only had one MK, as I recall without checking.

Banzai Enho!

Great bout by Terutsuyoshi. It's fascinating how he manages to fight rather conventional sumo despite being only a few pounds heavier than Enho.

I'm not gonna join the Shodai hype train just now but it really makes you wonder what happened to that guy. It feels like he's been fighting on 50% power this whole time up until now.

15 minutes ago, Sumo_da said:

Great bout by Terutsuyoshi. It's fascinating how he manages to fight rather conventional sumo despite being only a few pounds heavier than Enho.

“I am done with trying to win by fiddling around and thinking of many ways....No matter how puny my physique is, I will hit straight and push an opponent. I will win with the force of mind.”

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ202001170046.html

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Enho - is he currently joijin? I notice that since the two Yokozuna are kyujo, Enho at M-5 is wrestling both of the ozeki, and he beat Goeido in an excellent display of speed. I seem to recall that joijin describes all of the top megashira who have to wrestle the sanyaku.

Right now, the joijin go down to M6, and might extend even further when Goeido finally goes kyujo.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Shouhouzan, beaten by red-hot Shoudai: "Nothing special about my opponent. Tomorrow is another day."

Really?

That couldn't have a stronger smell of sour grapes. He was manhandled as hard as I've ever seen him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

If we wait for a basho with a fully fit roster of Y & O competing all 15 days we are going to be waiting for a very long time.

Make an educated guess, but in 'hard mode' :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Really?

That couldn't have a stronger smell of sour grapes. He was manhandled as hard as I've ever seen him.

Standard Shouhouzan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If (very likely) Goeido gets demoted  - and (very likely) Asanoyama does nor get promoted, we'll have a yokozuna-ozeki again after 38 years. Then there had been YO for nearly a year: first it was YW  Wakanohana, for 2 basho, then Chiyonofuji got promoted to yokozuna (west) and both proper yokozuna became YO, Wakanohana haridashi. For next basho Kotokaze was promoted to ozeki and Kitanoumi stayed YO, now as YW, first as YE, Chiyonofuji was haridashi. After Hatsu 1982, Takanosato was promoted and there were 2 ozeki again. http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/column/news-column/1699623/

1 existing ozeki thus is always ozeki east, and the (always proper?) west yokozuna has to fill in as ozeki west. Now we have no haridashi anymore, but only 2 yokozuna - if we had 4, could have been the YW2 YO? And what if we have only one Y, YE? Will the ozeki still be east or will it be the yokozuna?

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

It is also conceivable, depending on the final record of lower sanyaku and joijin maegashira, that a M18e spot would be created. Last time a M18 existed was Aki 1959, when makuuchi had 46 wrestlers.

25 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Standard Shouhouzan. 

Shouhouzan always keeps it gangsta. Gotta love it!

4 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

It is also conceivable, depending on the final record of lower sanyaku and joijin maegashira, that a M18e spot would be created. Last time a M18 existed was Aki 1959, when makuuchi had 46 wrestlers.

There are 42 makuuchi rikishi, and will continue to be 42 regardless of how many Y/O/Sanyaku there may be.  There will be no new spot created.  The lowest spot will simply be renamed.

2 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

Really?

Yeah, but don't forget he has been manhandled by the best of them. I'm sure to him it was nothing special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like we entered in an era of fuzy, unbalanced and light ozumo. Nothing remotely like an Hak X Asa or a Haruma X Hak bout...But the wuestion is; its fun to watch this? IMO, yup. Its fun indeed.

...And what about the pretty boy? Sure 2 kinboshis and a Ozeki scalp is impressive...But otoh we can see that as 3 wins against injured guys...I cant wait to see his next bout against the Hak...will not be pretty.(Injonokuchi...)

1 minute ago, Gospodin said:

What is the reason behind having two ozeki at all times ?

Same reason there's two sekiwake and two komusubi. There's three ranks and someone's gotta be in 'em.

Given the very different characteristics compared with the lower sanyaku ranks, in attaining and maintaining, I thought there is more behind than just a slot to be filled.

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Right now, the joijin go down to M6, and might extend even further when Goeido finally goes kyujo.

That got me thinking, has there been a case, especially in the modern era, where there are no Yokozuna or Ozeki left fighting by the end of the basho? If Goeido really goes kyujo after his 8th loss, we will be one bad accident away from losing Takakeisho and the last Ozeki. Knocking on every wooden surface I can find that it doesn't happen of course. 

Aw, yeah. I'm going to get to dust off my "Goeidou just needs X+1 wins in X days" joke and I'm feeling pretty stoked about it. It's like visiting an old friend you haven't seen in years months weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Terutsuyoshi, getting shoved back by Aoiyama after a matta: "When someone does that to me it lights a fire under me. it's like adding oil to an already burning fire..."

Indeed it was. Great bout and a solid basho so far.

3 hours ago, Gospodin said:

What is the reason behind having two ozeki at all times ?

Keeps the Kokugikan level. Must avoid tipping to the East or West.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ura has won to go to 6-0 down in Jonidan. Comeback Pt. II continues, ganbatte URA!

Dreaming that we one day see Enho vs. Ura in Makuuchi.

• Like 5