Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

8 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Good forward movement and tsuppari attack from Terunofuji. Kakuryu v Endo should have been torinaoshi. I think that was a blown call but I haven't seen the slow-mo 

Nah, Kakuryu was out about well before Endo. It wasn’t close at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great day of sumo !! Tokushoryu beats Chioshuma adding a face slap. How quickly Terutsuyoshi got off the block winning an exciting long match with Kotoecho. Enho !!! Wow !!! Asanoyama looking very Ozeki. 

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

I'd say the odds Kakuryu finishes this basho just dropped to 50-50 at best. Maybe not even that high given he was sick prior to the start.

I am more concerned about the odds of him retiring....(Idunno...) 

• Sad 1

@Kaioshoryu and @The_Arrow87 2020 AD is the 10th year of the decade. The decade ends when the 10th year is completed, not when the 10th year begins. There was no "year 0 AD".

26 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

You’re on your own on this one. 2020 is regarded as the first year of the new decade. 2019 was the 10th year that was just completed. 

If you're talkin astronomical years, yes, but since we're talkin years AD, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero

-3, -2, -1, +1, +2, +3

EDIT: edited out my first comparison with reiwa era, because it was not quite correct.

Reiwa 1 started on 01.05.2019, since 01.01.2020 we're in reiwa 2. According to your logic, since reiwa started, 2 years should have passed, but it's only 8 months and some days.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Benihana said:

No, he isn't. New decade starts 2021. :-)

Ok, how about first winner of the 2020's then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sakura said:

Yes ma'am :)

Asanoyama came out so fast and fierce that he really looked like an ozeki. Takakeisho looked strong, too.

That Tochinoshin is resorting to such tactics on day one, but still losing, is not a good sign. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the guy but it may be that the end is near.

I'm not too terribly worried for Takayasu, at least not yet. Tamawashi is the sort of guy who can blow most anyone off the dohyo on a good day. It's kind of his thing. We'll see if Takayasu can rally tomorrow against Okinoumi.

6 hours ago, since_94 said:

Good forward movement and tsuppari attack from Terunofuji. Kakuryu v Endo should have been torinaoshi. I think that was a blown call but I haven't seen the slow-mo 

Kakuryu's foot clearly slips out first; a rare unforced error.

Prior to this tournament (i.e., an interview featured in today's NHK broadcast), Kakuryu expressed two goals: to compete in (and complete?) every tournament in 2020, and to win this championship.  As for the former goal, the last time he competed in all 90 annual bouts was 2013.  And as for the latter goal, he has yet to win the Top Division championship in January.

There are plenty of valid reasons to be concerned about Kakuryu's yusho chances in this tournament, and losing to Endo on Day 1 is definitely one of them.  I hope he can turn things around, but his goals may simply be too lofty.

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Prior to this tournament (i.e., an interview featured in today's NHK broadcast), Kakuryu expressed two goals: to compete in (and complete?) every tournament in 2020, and to win this championship.  As for the former goal, the last time he competed in all 90 annual bouts was 2013.  And as for the latter goal, he has yet to win the Top Division championship in January.

There are plenty of valid reasons to be concerned about Kakuryu's yusho chances in this tournament, and losing to Endo on Day 1 is definitely one of them.  I hope he can turn things around, but his goals may simply be too lofty.

I'm slowly learning to take this stuff with a grain of salt.  It seems that a lot of American athletes downtalk and say things like "just taking it day by day".  But if I heard Kakuryu say "Yeah, I'm just trying to stay healthy and hang in there each basho, staying within myself, etc. etc." I would assume that his remarks were mistranslated.  If not, he'd probably get a strongly worded Boomer-gram from the YDC.

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm slowly learning to take this stuff with a grain of salt.  It seems that a lot of American athletes downtalk and say things like "just taking it day by day".  But if I heard Kakuryu say "Yeah, I'm just trying to stay healthy and hang in there each basho, staying within myself, etc. etc." I would assume that his remarks were mistranslated.  If not, he'd probably get a strongly worded Boomer-gram from the YDC.

I guess you could say that these kinds of statements "go with the territory".  But I tend to view them, not so much as promises, but rather as self-motivational statements.  And in the case of Yokozuna, they have the luxury of being able to look at the bigger picture.  

Anyone watching the NHK broadcast today will have missed the trophy presentations to Hakuho for 2019 MVP and to Enho for 2019 Rookie of the Year.  This is the first time I've seen this presentation (shown on Abema TV).  Is there a list of previous years' recipients?  And while I'm on the topic, who will the most likely candidate be for Rookie of the Year in 2020?  Kiribayama has his foot in the door, so to say.

Edited by Amamaniac

6 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Anyone watching the NHK broadcast today will have missed the trophy presentations to Hakuho for 2019 MVP and to Enho for 2019 Rookie of the Year.  This is the first time I've seen this presentation (shown on Abema TV).  Is there a list of previous year's recipients?

The (here wiki-)links to such info are always in the proper thread about it

On 27/12/2019 at 13:57, Akinomaki said:

The 62nd Hochi sponsored best rikishi of the year award wiki/年間最優秀力士賞 goes to Hakuho, now he has this award the 10th time, till 2015 he had received it 9 times in a row. 7 times winners are Taiho and Chiyonofuji.

Hakuho got it as the only one to get 2 yusho this year - out of 4 basho he really competed in, only in 3 till the end, and especially for expanding his yusho count to 43.

The 56th Chuspo sponsored Sumo best makuuchi newcomer of the year award wiki/大相撲幕内最優秀新人賞 goes to Enho: "I didn't know there was such an award" - but he was happy. With 4 basho in makuuchi and 3 kachikoshi, one gino-sho, he is not really outstanding among the 11 candidates this year. The selection committee includes the top shimpan and the PR top from the NSK, the head of the YDC, the majority is from the sumo press club, and there is Kitanofuji, who writes a column for Chuspo: "No big wins, but also no big losses, that's splendid. And it's magnificent that while being a small guy, he doesn't henka at the tachi-ai."

The award ceremony for both awards is on day 1 of the Hatsu basho, before the start of makuuchi

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakuho got it as the only one to get 2 yusho this year - out of 4 basho he really competed in, only in 3 till the end, and especially for expanding his yusho count to 43.

Enho: With 4 basho in makuuchi and 3 kachikoshi, one gino-sho, he is not really outstanding among the 11 candidates this year.

The award for Enho actually was the most fitting: he literally got it as the best newcomer in Reiwa 1 (5-12.2019) - in Heisei 31 (1-4. 2019) he was not in makuuchi yet. For Hakuho it is doubtful though if he was the best in Reiwa 1, his first of 2 yusho this year was in Heisei, and he really competed only in 2 of the 4 basho in Reiwa 1.

A.D. year count in the yearly award titles would sound more logical  - but actually the proper translation is not Reiwa 1, but "Reiwa starting year"

Edited by Akinomaki

Really really great sumo on Day 1. The Enho match was phenomenal, and anyone suggesting he's just a flash in the pan or a sumo doll, is deluding themselves, IMO. And Hakho? Not losing to Daeisho twice in row, simply not happening. He was in the zone, and as soon as Daeisho got turned slightly, he was toast. Some other excellent bouts, as well. Takakeisho looking very strong on Day 1. As a couple of others have said, I cannot wait for Day 2!

What happen with Ishiura's back?

Full of crop circles. Seems like he was abducted or something.

5 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Fire cupping

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

It looks like the dreaded "cupping".  An ancient healing art, but not many modern medical societies will vouch for it.

Endo the "pretendo" has done it again! That's what my brother has nicknamed him heh. Good sumo. Gotta be the new mawashi :P. Let's see if he can keep rolling.

12 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Nah, Kakuryu was out about well before Endo. It wasn’t close at all.

Yes. It's very clear on the replay.

11 minutes ago, Sophistikage said:

Endo the "pretendo" has done it again! That's what my brother has nicknamed him heh. Good sumo. Gotta be the new mawashi :P. Let's see if he can keep rolling.

The colour works for Asanoyama, so why not give it a try. And it looks better on him than the golden one, neh?

22 hours ago, Sakura said:

So, Sakigake is the 1st sekitori winner of the new decade.... :-)

20 hours ago, Benihana said:

No, he isn't. New decade starts 2021. :-)

13 hours ago, Sakura said:

And the 2020s is a 10-year period, hence a decade.  A decade is simply a period of 10 years.  2011-2020 is a decade, but so are 2010-2019 and 2020-2029.  It is far more common and convenient to refer to the "decade of the '20s" although it does cause accounting problems in counting backward.  Both sides of this discussion are equally valid.

• Like 11

Motobayashi's win today is his 22nd in a row since making his debut. Only Jokoryu, Itai and Tochiazuma have bettered that in modern times.

8 hours ago, Benihana said:

The colour works for Asanoyama, so why not give it a try. And it looks better on him than the golden one, neh?

It looks like the shimekomi he had used at the beginning of his sekitori career ... at least they look similiar. Talking about a new start ... dadada

• Thanks 1