Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

3 hours ago, Catalin B said:

Terrible day for rikishi health. :-( One thing I am legitimately curious about: is the Kyokai known to ever take action or raise concern about the way cleansing rituals (such as yumitori-shiki) are performed amidst injury hell like we are currently experiencing?

Otherwise, one-armed Meisei and 1-and-1/2-armed Takayasu are painful to watch.

On the positive side, I've been enjoying Okinoumi's wrestling and Tokushoryu's spirited performance - he seems on track to prove himself in makuuchi after almost missing out on promotion from J1w, I hope he gets a KK.

I've also been enjoying Tokushoryu's Sumo. He's been showing some great technique and some delicate footwork, dohyo-awareness and balance on the bales. Really graceful for a guy with such a frame as his 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

I've also been enjoying Tokushoryu's Sumo. He's been showing some great technique and some delicate footwork, dohyo-awareness and balance on the bales. Really graceful for a guy with such a frame as his 

He's doing very well, but I find it extremely hard to cheer for Tokushoryu after his extra shove on a fallen Kotoyuki when the latter's knee had clearly snapped.

(How long ago was this, even?)

Edited by Koorifuu

Enho vs Endo on nakabi. Will any surprise happen?

Addition: As 12.30JST, Tsurugisho still in torikumi list, vs Tochiozan on day 8. Is he supposed to kyujo?

Edited by code_number3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

He's doing very well, but I find it extremely hard to cheer for Tokushoryu after his extra shove on a fallen Kotoyuki when the latter's knee had clearly snapped.

Kyushu 2013?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

That surprises me to hear. From all I ever see of him, he's one of those guys who takes care of his opponents once the match is decided. Like Kaisei does.

The first time I see this Motobayashi guy he loses, ending his winning streak from debut at 24.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

I'm not sure the injury would have been immediately obvious to Tokushoryu from his angle of view. He was literally on top of Kotoyuki. Perhaps the push was unnecessary (I presume there was some other backstory here?) but I don't think he was trying to add insult to injury, so to speak. He also went back over to help as soon as he realised something was wrong, clearly concerned for his aite's welfare.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

And he might well have to face Jokoryu to get that record as the latter is also unbeaten on 3-0. 

This is going to be really great storyline. Lets hope things unfold this way. 

Edit: And he is already with his first loss. :(

Edited by Djihi
  • Sad 1

Just now, Djihi said:

This is going to be really great storyline. Lets hope things unfold this way. 

He lost earlier. His run ends at 24.

• Sad 1

Terunofuji goes 6-0 with a resilient win.  I didn't think he'd ever be back in good shape.   He looks to be his old self.  Someone mentioned zensho yusho for Terunofuji.   It is not out of the question given that he will face mostly mid to low ranked juryo contenders.   Ichinojo on the other hand .... (Shakinghead...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yohcun said:

That surprises me to hear. From all I ever see of him, he's one of those guys who takes care of his opponents once the match is decided. Like Kaisei does.

And now that I've said that, he's done a small dame-oshi today.

42 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Well, there's Tsurugisho in the dohyo iri...

He can barely get through the pre-bout ritual ...

... and yet wins, pretty much the only way he could I suppose.

Edited by Eikokurai

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

He can barely get through the pre-bout ritual ...

I don't recall ever seeing anyone getting wheeled out of the venue and returning the next day.

• Like 2

And without breaking a sweat or getting out of breath.

Oh, wait.

He always sweats and is out of breath.

• Like 1

They were complaining on Abema about the lack of movement in the bouts of the first half - that is inevitable when many rikishi can hardly walk anymore. I as well have the impression though, that this is the worst day of sumo so far. Tochinoshin confirmed it with his henka. Can only get better - later.

On these days one can enjoy the lower div bouts in between - look in the Abema thread for the link of the Abema live stream on Twitch, the videos of the day remain. If you record the ongoing video of the live stream there and not the live stream itself, you get a video from the start till the time you start the recording -  and can play it while also playing the recording of the ongoing live stream. I do that to watch with a few seconds delay and have the ability to jump back and look again while recording (how to do that is explained in the tips and tools thread).

• Like 3

Takayasu did not look pleased with Myogiryu's strategy of targeting his left. 

Enho is finding the mid Maegishira rank tough.   He falls to 3-4 and drew Endo tomorrow.   MK is looming.

Not too many good matches today for sure.  The best I've seen was Terunofuji's win.   

• Like 1

I had a feeling Shodai was going to choke today. He actually did a lot better than I anticipated, but Goeido showed enough poise to finish the job. Vital win for him. Shodai's loss brings all the 5-2 guys right back into contention (not that they were exactly out of it if Shodai went 7-0, but you know what I mean). The race is wide open going into nakabi.

Edited by Eikokurai

The second best I've seen today was Goeido's win against Shodai.   The latter didn't do too bad.  Goeido just refused to lose.   

Goeido fights with such high spirit and vigor this basho. I think he can clear the kadoban status. 

Another Shodai slip anyone? Slipped and blown his title chance

Edited by code_number3

Takakeisho is brutal with the left and turns Abi to the right and its over. He did similar at the ropes with the right to Mita for the win. Our next Yokozuna i believe !

• Like 3