Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

That's all I'm good at-reminding people of my correct prophecies and not mentioning my wrong ones. That's what i live for actually. And, in case everyone forgot, I said categorically that  Kakuryuu wouldn't last the first five days of this basho. Received no credit. None. He will retire at the end of this basho.

You know that really wouldnt surprise me. I thought before his bout on day 1 that he had the look of someone who had had enough and would have much rather been somewhere else.

Edited by The Fat Cyclist

Is it just me, or does Shodai‘s read-and-react style resemble that of Hakuho’s in his prime - though not on that level ? My impression is Shodai became physically stronger, and thus his „counter-punching“ skills improved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

Shodai's yusho. Sure shot.

If we've seen one thing over the last few years, there's no "sure shot"

11 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

A man can’t trade on his reputation forever. ;)

I think others have mentioned this in earlier threads this basho, but it just so happens that I heard it from him myself last week  (I can't help it, I'm telling everyone I can. It was like meeting Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan. It's not that I want to brag; it's that I absolutely can't restrain myself!) Hakuho is planning on retiring, but hasn't said when. Many folks think it will be shortly after the Olympics this summer. When I ate lunch with him last week, he invited me to visit his heya when he becomes an oyakata. I think this is one of the reasons he obtained his Japanese citizenship, as my understanding is that it is required to become an oyakata.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Oh, this basho Shodai forgot that he is Shodai - maybe like Asanoyama he did quit something and is on the next level now

He went 11-4 last basho, man! But I hear ya. He's lookin' solid.

10 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Recent record aside, Hakuho won't be going anywhere for at least half a year.  Everyone knows he wants to remain an active rikishi/Yokozuna until the Tokyo Games are done and dusted.  Ain't no ultimatum that will change that.

I think though that given that he has held his position into 2020, even if he goes kyujo for remaining honbasho until July/August, he will still be able to participate as the representative of sumo in Olympic ceremonies and celebrations (which is what I expect the appeal of holding out until this time has been). I expect that unless he can return strongly from this honbasho, we will see Hakuho's retirement before the end of the year.

That doesn't look good for Irodori - on his knee and unable to stand up for a long time, the limp then says it all.

The next Arashio-oyakata has maybe found the motivation to try to spend his last basho as sekitori, his oyakata has to retire as shisho after Haru. Next basho everybody he'll face knows he's on the final farewell tour, but he is on it also this basho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Is it just me, or does Shodai‘s read-and-react style resemble that of Hakuho’s in his prime - though not on that level ? My impression is Shodai became physically stronger, and thus his „counter-punching“ skills improved.

I am not convinced yet.   In the last basho, he went 11-4 as M10, but beating only one joi opponent.   He has been so far impressive in this basho but he has been there before (2018.05 basho where he also started off at 5-0 as M4 and finished at 9-6).    If he continues to do well in this basho and the next, I will consider him an Ozeki potential.    Another reason why I am not convinced ... Shodai still has that "head high" tachihai that has been one of his weak area.

Edited by robnplunder

Ikioi was limping out, but Kizakiumi was not even able to do that

The 25th anniversary of the great Hanshin Awaji quake seems to be cursed: Tsurugisho is the next one heading towards kyujo.

Birthday boy Terutsuyoshi lost (born on the day and near the center of the earthquake)

Edited by Akinomaki

19 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Ikioi was limping out, but Kizakiumi was not even able to do that

... and now Tsurugisho.   They are dropping like flies.   How many will be left standing after day 15?   This may be a good news for juryo contenders.  There could be many Makuuchi spots available.

Kizakiumi hurt his neck during his fall. 

And nowTsurugisho appears to have hurt his knee and had to be wheeled away.

First report on Tsurugisho, it's the left knee indeed. As he was trying to stay in Tsurugisho said  he heard a sound coming from  left knee region and is in pain. Let's hope it's not too serious.

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

As he was trying to stay in Tsurugisho said  he heard a sound coming from  left knee region and is in pain. Let's hope it's not too serious.

That is kyujo for sure for this basho, and likely the next one.   It is never good when body parts make a sound .... :-(   

• Like 1

Meisei should be watching this from home...

20 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

Meisei should be watching this from home...

I think he's hoping to get one more win and secure his place in the division. Painful to watch.

Goeido must be glad that he "showed up" today (took home a nice stack of about 23 kensho), or else he should be thankful that Tamawashi didn't "show up"...

Goeido still has a tough road ahead, though.

• Like 1

Have we seen the northwest AND northeast hanamichi used on the same day?  They led a dazed Kizakiumi off to the northeast and the megachair for Tsurugisho came from the northwest and left down that corridor.

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I am not convinced yet.   In the last basho, he went 11-4 as M10, but beating only one joi opponent.   He has been so far impressive in this basho but he has been there before (2018.05 basho where he also started off at 5-0 as M4 and finished at 9-6).    If he continues to do well in this basho and the next, I will consider him an Ozeki potential.    Another reason why I am not convinced ... Shodai still has that "head high" tachihai that has been one of his weak area.

And there's not much left this basho that could be considered as joi or at least jõi-level.. 

9 minutes ago, dingo said:

And there's not much left this basho that could be considered as joi or at least jõi-level.. 

Well, he still has to meet Takakeisho, Goeido, Asanoyama, Abi, Daieisho, Endo, Mitakeumi...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Well, he still has to meet Takakeisho, Goeido, Asanoyama, Abi, Daieisho, Endo, Mitakeumi...

And they all can give fits to Shodai except Goeido & Mitakeumi who seem to be out of form.     My bet is Takakeisho to take the yusho.

• Like 1

First time in Shodai’s career he has started a basho 6-0. 

Takakeisho's win was a thing of beauty, backed up and strong right under the armpit moved Mita to the left than out. He starting to show good defense  in his sumo. 

Looks like Takayasu , Tochinoshin and Goedo are not Ozeki material anymore :(

I dont think that will be the last henka from Abi this basho :| 

My boy Kagayaki despite losing today has been looking great and showing some grip skills.

Terinofuji looks like hes playing and may go zensho.

Edited by Philioyamfugi