Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Argh! It's too early for such disappointments! I'm on a train and haven't even boarded my flight yet. Need to avoid this site till basho starts...

But how?

10 hours ago, Sakura said:

Kotoyuki has withdrawn from the tournament.

So has Tomokaze, but that's not exactly a surprise.

While there are lots of wrestlers to watch on Day 1, I am particularly anxious to see what happens in the Tochinoshin v. Shohozan bout.  Despite the fact that the Georgian has lost his Ozeki status definitively (i.e., no 10 wins for re-promotion), he still has something to prove.  The trouble is that his first aite of the New Year Tournament is Shohozan, who has defeated registered wins against him in their last two meetings scheduled bouts.  Shohozan definitely has the mobility advantage, which will make it difficult for Tochinoshin to get his preferred grip, not to mention hold off Shohozan's attack.  

Can Tochinoshin lose on Day 1 without it affecting his confidence going forward?  Of course, an experienced pro like him will channel the "one day at a time" approach, but he will also sense whether or not his body is up to the task going forward.  This could be a defining tournament for him...

Edited by Amamaniac

44 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The trouble is that his first aite of the New Year Tournament is Shohozan, who has defeated him in their last two meetings

Not really. Their latest meeting didn't happen.

So, Sakigake is the 1st sekitori winner of the new decade.... :-)

I haven't seen Terunofuji up close since the photos of him at his lowest, and wow, he's really come back into form. Dunno yet about the quality of his sumo but he's rebuilt his body quite well.

Terunofuji rocked that win. Dude looked completely clueless. That gives me hope for the prospects of a return to makuuchi. Keep chugging along, big guy. We're cheering for you.

Terunofuji looked good. Not saying he's going to be Ozeki again but if he doesn't breakdown over the 15 days I think he will KK for sure.

For day one that was a very spirited bout between Terutsuyoshi and Kotoeko. Great to see so early on in the basho.

And what a bout by Enho! I thought Takarafuji, the defensive master, was going to survive long enough to turn the tables, but Enho didn’t give him the window he was waiting for.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sakura said:

So, Sakigake is the 1st sekitori winner of the new decade.... :-)

No, he isn't. New decade starts 2021. :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Enho was amazing. That was an awesome match, I can't wait to watch it again. Props to him.

• Like 1

Takayasu off to a bad start in his quest for 10. :(

I missed the Tochinoshin bout live but in the replay he didn’t look interested in fighting his own sumo, keeping Shohozan at arm’s length and attempting a tsuppari attack that went nowhere. Not looking good for the aging Georgian. :(

Edited by Eikokurai

Asanoyama-Mitakeumi also did not disappoint! What a fantastic bit of back and forth with recoveries on the bales for both men. Is this really day one?

• Like 1

Endo given up his gold mawashi?

It seems to have worked. Kinboshi on day one.

Edited by Eikokurai

I'd say the odds Kakuryu finishes this basho just dropped to 50-50 at best. Maybe not even that high given he was sick prior to the start.

Mitakeumi blew that one. Bad strategy. Tochinoshin has no strategy. Kotoshogiku to retire for sure this year IMO.

Tons of ring rust tonight. A lot of guys got lucky.

• Thanks 1

First day of sumo of the year and some amazing bouts and a few upsets already can't wait for day 2 !

Tochinoshin obviously lacks the confidence in his body to do his style of sumo. Shohozan is the perfect size for the lift and carry but Tochi decided to give us his Aoiyama tribute routine instead. Very sad.

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

I'd say the odds Kakuryu finishes this basho just dropped to 50-50 at best. Maybe not even that high given he was sick prior to the start.

Mitakeumi blew that one. Bad strategy. Tochinoshin has no strategy. Kotoshogiku to retire for sure this year IMO.

Tons of ring rust tonight. A lot of guys got lucky.

Mitakeumi didn’t press the oshi attack from the tachiai. After two thrusts he eased off and switched to the pull, but Asanoyama’s footing was solid and he had more than enough space to make the small adjustment he needed on his right leg to not only recover his balance but give himself a platform to counter. Thereafter it was all Asanoyama.

Good forward movement and tsuppari attack from Terunofuji. Kakuryu v Endo should have been torinaoshi. I think that was a blown call but I haven't seen the slow-mo