Sign in to follow this  
Edwardoho

Which rikishi will walk to the Kokugikan rather than arrive by car/taxi?

Hi, 

Sometimes it's fun to watch the rikishi arrive at the Kokugikan.

Obviously most rikishi arrive by taxi but some walk from the nearby stables (e.g. Tochinoshin before he was Ozeki)  and  perhaps some even come on the train and walk from the station. 

Can anyone help me create a list of those that you would expect to arrive on foot? (either walking from stable or train station)

I've coloured the ones that are in the area of the stadium with green.

Hakuho        Y    Kakuryu
Takakeisho    O    Goeido
Asanoyama     S    Takayasu
Abi           K    Daieisho

Endo          M1   Myogiryu
Hokutofuji    M2   Mitakeumi
Tamawashi     M3   Kotoyuki
Okinoumi      M4   Shodai
Meisei        M5   Enho
Takarafuji    M6   Tochinoshin
Shohozan      M7   Onosho
Aoiyama       M8   Ryuden
Takanosho     M9   Yutakayama
Sadanoumi     M10  Ishiura
Chiyotairyu   M11  Kagayaki
Tsurugisho    M12  Chiyomaru
Kotoshogiku   M13  Kotoeko
Terutsuyoshi  M14  Shimanoumi
Azumaryu      M15  Ikioi
Tochiozan     M16  Kaisei
Kiribayama    M17  Tokushoryu

Many thanks!

Ed

Posted (edited)

Only yokozuna and ozeki are allowed to use the entrance at the parking lot - and they do, you won't see them. The others have to walk through the front gate, so even if they come by taxi, they have to pass a bit of the street outside.

You can check the pics for the Tokyo basho to see them arrive http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/search/?&q=pics arriving&type=forums_topic&author=Akinomaki&nodes=4&search_and_or=and

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Akinomaki. Do rikishi from the same stable as an Ozeki or Yokozuna sometimes share the taxi and therefore go through the parking lot entrance with them?

Am also still curious as to which rikishi walk to the Kokugikan from the stable or arrive by train. 

I'm keen for more on this too. I'm attending day 1 but was planning to hang around day 2 and try to see some the sekitori arrive. Any idea what time of day sekitori arrive?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

I'm keen for more on this too. I'm attending day 1 but was planning to hang around day 2 and try to see some the sekitori arrive. Any idea what time of day sekitori arrive?

They have to be there at least 20min. before their dohyo-iri, the time schedule for that is here http://www.sumo.or.jp/Watching/guide/tokyo/schedule/598/ - likely they have English pages for this as well

Makuuchi around 14:30, as you can see in the 1 day schedule for spectators  http://www.sumo.or.jp/Watching/guide/tokyo/spectator/598/

14:30 ご贔屓力士が間近に!場所入りの見学、取組終了後の力士をお見送り

1430_11.jpg

力士は南門より徒歩で国技館に入ります(横綱・大関以外)。取組前の真剣な表情を間近で見られるチャンス!

1430_10.jpg

場所入りの見学は通路を妨げない、力士に触らないなどのマナーを守りましょう。

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I can only speak from personal observations (back in 2016), but Aoiyama and his entourage walked the entire way from stable door to the Kokugikan. The heya is only 10 minutes away, so it makes sense to avoid taxis for this kind of short distance.

Another more or less famous rikishi that I bumped into at Ryogoku station twice was Sagatsukasa. Irumagawa-stable is located in Saitama, so I assume rikishi from that heya have to take the train regularly.

Hey all, what time do Juryo wrestlers start leaving after their matches? I'm here now (3pm JST) and it seems like all of makinouchi have arrived. Terunofuji's had his match and I'm hoping he'll be out soon! I have to leave for me flight in 45mins, haha. 

EDIT: He came out almost immediately after posting, amazing! I'll post pics tomorrow. 

Edited by Houmanumi
  • Like 1