Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC January 2020 soken

Posted (edited)

The YDC soken was held today at the Kkan training institute, closed to the public. Takakeishou called Asanoyama out and had 10 bouts against him. "It was good keiko. i was able to confirm my tachiai. I picked Asanoyama because he is becoming a figure and he has a strong, big body. His body is soft  so even when pushed his arms are long enough to grab the mawashi. He has his unique style and therein lies his strength," he said later.

Terunofuji was also looking good. He faced Juryo Kotonowaka and Houshouryuu for 5 bouts, winning 4. "The number of bouts was low but i think I was getting better bout by bout. I feel I'm getting better with every basho that passes. I'd like to make it back to Makuuchi this year. I'll be listening to my body and doing what I can. I want to see how far I can go," he said.

Hakuhou was in charge today. He faced Daieishou ( the only guy that beat him last basho..) for 12 bouts, winning them all. Kakuryuu faced Daieishou, Mitakeumi and others for 12 bouts as well, winning them all as well. Goueidou had 9 bouts against Abi (3-0), Endou (3-0) and Shoudai (1-2) and was so-so, 7-2. "I wanted to face all kinds of types and I did better than I expected. I'd say I'm 50-50, " he said. Not bad for a guy who other than facing Sadanoumi at home these last two days, has not faced any sekitori for two months.

Hakuhou-Daieishou

sum20010612080004-p1.jpg

Asanoyama:

sum20010612080004-p5.jpg

More Hakuhou:

sum20010612080004-p2.jpg

Kakuryuu:

sum20010612080004-p3.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Takayasu was 3-3 against they didn't say. At some point, Hakkaku rijicho called out to him to go for it against Hakuhou but it didn't happen. 3 bouts here, 1 there and two more elsewhere. At the end, he lent his chest to Abi.. "It is what it is.. I did do some goods sumo too, though.." he said later. When he was Ozeki he could call out an opponent by name and train with the Ozeki and upwards. Today, he was just a regular rikishi. "Reminded me of when I was young," he said.

202001060000466-w500_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

In that top photo it looks like Hakuho has landed a huge right hook across Daieisho’s face.

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

In that top photo it looks like Hakuho has landed a huge right hook across Daieisho’s face.

Showing Ishiura how it’s done

29 minutes ago, Faustonowaka said:

Showing Ishiura how it’s done

Ishiura could just ask Endo. Looks like getting your bell rung, for sure.

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It seemed as if Hakuhou was making a point- he used a LOT of kachiage, right in the YDC's face.  "Wasn't that a strong tachiai??" asked a journalist later. "Was it?" Hakuhou asked back. "Yeah, he did that, but it seemed fair and square. I would like to be looking closely at this from now on," said YDC chairman Sano. Happy days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3