Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Banzuke for Hatsu 2020

I'm not saying it is unfair, and triple Kachikoshi from Komusubi 1 e including back to back 9-6 is first and foremost bad banzuke luck. I say I'm somewhat surprised. 

There have been three Sekiwake in the past, there has been a remarkable alternation from the usual sanyaku layout as recently as last Basho and they could easily have promoted Abi to Sekiwake and Asanoyama to Abi's rank.

They apparently choose not to and the decision is definetly not the worst in Banzuke-making-history, but I still wonder if the scandal tipped the decision in Asanoyama's favour. I'll never know, but it seemed worth a thought. 

Abi has just an amazing bad luck. Three time at least one sekiwake spot is freed, but each time a demoted ozeki comes in the way and Abi falls in the next-in-line spot.

This three ozeki demotions in a row makes him just amazingly unlucky

7 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

Abi has just an amazing bad luck. Three time at least one sekiwake spot is freed, but each time a demoted ozeki comes in the way and Abi falls in the next-in-line spot.

This three ozeki demotions in a row makes him just amazingly unlucky

Career-wise, it doesn't matter much.  He will either retire as an ex-komusubi or as an ex-sekiwake.  If he is destined for bigger things, it will eventually come his way.  He is only 25 yoa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thorbjarn said:

I'm not saying it is unfair, and triple Kachikoshi from Komusubi 1 e including back to back 9-6 is first and foremost bad banzuke luck. I say I'm somewhat surprised. 

There have been three Sekiwake in the past, there has been a remarkable alternation from the usual sanyaku layout as recently as last Basho and they could easily have promoted Abi to Sekiwake and Asanoyama to Abi's rank.

They apparently choose not to and the decision is definetly not the worst in Banzuke-making-history, but I still wonder if the scandal tipped the decision in Asanoyama's favour. I'll never know, but it seemed worth a thought. 

I doubt the scandal had anything to do with it.  There's no good reason to believe that he would have gotten promoted based on history.  There have been plenty of Komusubi that have stuck around for 4 tournaments, some for even 5.  If there are better candidates for the two guaranteed Sekiwake slots, it takes 11 wins as Komusubi to force a new one.  That's been a very clear standard for a while now.  Maybe 10-5 twice in a row would do it too, since it puts them in range of Ozeki promotion, but that hasn't come up.  Two 9-6s, while definitely above average, is not strong enough to force another Sekiwake.

• Like 2

On 23/12/2019 at 14:55, Kintamayama said:

Wow, this is nuts. Shafted- Terutsuyoshi, Tomokaze, Chiyotairyuu, Chiyomaru, Yutakayama. I know, I know, banzuke luck and all, but some of these are crazy.

My pick of the bad draw is Chiyotairyuu.  He goes 9-6 and goes from west to east, an M11 at that.   The above "nuts" screwed up my banzuke game.   

I’m in the UK right now. You know you’ve been thinking about banzuke too long when you see signs for the M4 and J12 and think Maegashira 4 and Juryo 12, instead of Motorway 4 and Junction 12.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

When was the last time we had two of each sanyaku rank? I'm somewhat curious about this.

On 27/12/2019 at 07:26, chishafuwaku said:
On 26/12/2019 at 18:52, Tigerboy1966 said:

Kyushu. Another 8-7 for Abi

9-6 >:-(

Noted and corrected.

10 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

When was the last time we had two of each sanyaku rank? I'm somewhat curious about this.

The full "yokozuna as an actual rank" era (1890 onward) list of such banzuke: 1921.051923.051940.011975.031975.051975.071976.031992.012020.01

1921.05 had two East yokozuna, none on the West side.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

31 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

1921.05 had two East yokozuna, none on the West side.

Was that when the east/west organisation was Dewanoumi-beya vs all the others?

13 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Was that when the east/west organisation was Dewanoumi-beya vs all the others?

Yup, more or less. Not yet the über-dominance of later years, but that was the driver.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

The NSK today posted the new komusubi interview with Daieisho

the one with new makuuchi Kiribayama a week ago

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Congrats to Diasho .. I like this boy, hard hitting forward moving sumo, the Ozeki killer. Abi Is right where he belongs IMO , results will take him places, not sure it's up, as we reshuffle the deck. I hope Asonmayama gets to Ozeki he's got all the guns blazing and fun to watch.  Lots of great sumo ahead for this decade. Happy New Year everybody, let's get it going ! 

Posted (edited)

Today the interview with new sekiwake Asanoyama was posted (I think at NHK only new sanyaku get interviewed, at least the NSK has new sekiwake as well)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 07:46, WAKATAKE said:

Since the debut of six annual tournaments, this situation has occurred five times.  But to answer your specific question, the last time was January 1992.  You may also be interested to know that there have never (in the specified survey period) been fewer than eight names in the sanyaku ranks on the banzuke of any given tournament.

In short, that total can only go up from here.  I stand corrected.

Edited by Amamaniac

43 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Since the debut of six annual tournaments, this situation has occurred five times.  But to answer your specific question, the last time was January 1992.  You may also be interested to know that there have never (in the specified survey period) been fewer than eight names in the sanyaku ranks on the banzuke of any given tournament.

In short, that total can only go up from here.

It can go down: If both yokozuna retire after the basho and no additional ozeki arrives, we could have 6

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

In short, that total can only go up from here.

Not really. If Hakuho and Kakuryu had decided to retire after Kyushu we would be down to six, which I believe is the theoretical minimum.

• Thanks 1