Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kintamayama

Takanohana vs. Sendagawa- Plot thickens

28 posts in this topic

Sendagawa Oyakata, former Akinoshima, who is seeking to move from Takanohana-beya to Takadagawa beya due to irreconcilable differences between the two, made his move yesterday. He needs written consent from Takanohana to move. He is virtually banned from the heya, so he can't ask him there. He showed up at the Shimpan's chambers, which is pretty strange in itself, and according to Takanohana-"How can I approve anything that sends a chill down my spine?? He showed up and shoved a document at me, the shisho, and said- 'Hey you ("Omae", a pretty disrespectful way to speak to your shisho in the Kakkai), stamp the document!!' This is unheard of. What's he doing in the Shimpan room anyhow? Showing up like this in the middle of a Basho when the rikishi are doing their best is a discourtesy to them. It just shows how self-centered he is!"

"I just wanted to get approval to move to Takadagawa. Since he doesn't give me a chance to talk to him, I had no choice", said Sendagawa Oyakata. This was the first time he broke his silence on this matter. Till now, Takanohana, Futagoyama and Sendagawa Oyakatas were the only one who said anything on this matter. Witnesses say the argument became pretty loud, and in front of tsukebitos at that..

Doesn't look like Sendagawa Oyakata is anywhere near getting that document signed.

For further details on how this story started, here is an earlier thread.

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2535

Edited by Kintamayama

It was pretty interesting watching Sendagawa oyakata today on NHK broadcast. And during the first half of Makuuchi bouts, Takanohana oyakata was sitting as a dohyo judge. Of course this being NHK, there was no untoward comment made but former Akinoshima didn't look particularly upset nor desparate as he commented on the day's bouts.

I am rather disappointed in Takanohana because it is solely up to him to resolve this problem instead he is trying to yapping away to media saying Akinoshima demanded this or called him such. This has become HIS issue. The Kyokai is staying out of it. The other oyakatas (except one for sure) hope it quietly disappears. So Akinoshma wants to join a renegade Takadagwa (former Ozeki Maenoyama) with no Ichimon affiliation, let him. Rather than sulking that he was insulted, he should let this end for the good of Kyokai and Ozumo which he always insisted he would uphold when he was an active rikishi.

Sendagawa (Akinoshima) is not helping his heya nor helping the Kyokai by being locked out of the training sessions. The Kyokai needs all the help they can get. It's time for Takanohana to grow up and show some class as a former yokozuna. This is just tarnishing his image as one of the greatest yokozunas of our generation.

To quote a Japanese non-sumo fan from yesterday :-D

Onii-chan is well out of it and so is his mum. Taka is saving things (stable etc) for his own son Rie-chan (ex-fiancee) is so lucky to be out of it too.

Jonosuke-san said it best - he needs to grow up - and smell the roses.

An update:

It's now been reported that Chair of the Kyokai. Kitanoumi oyakata has accepted the transfer request from Sendagawa oyakata (former sekiwake Akinoshima).

While still as active rikishi, Sendagawa oyakata has borrowed "Fujishima" myoseki from his shisho Futagoyama oyakata (former Ozeki Takanohana) but in the last February he has acquired "Sendagawa" myoseki on his own. Subsequetly his junior heya mate and son of the Futagoyama oyakata, former Yokozuna Takanohana inherited the heya and their difference in teaching philosophy surfaced and their relationship became tenuous

ever since.

Sendagawa oyataka expresed his desire to move to another heya but Takanohana oyakata adamantly refused to sign the transfer document. However the transfer does not require a formal acceptance stamped by the heya oyakata, only an informal agreement between the heya oyakata and transferring oyakata.

"It's not a matter for the Kyokai directors to approve. Basically it should be agreed upon by the parties. I asked Sendagawa oyakata to deal with Futagoyama and Takanohana

oyakatas in a friendly term," Kitanoumi oyakata explained the reason for his acceptance.

Sendagawa oyakata is headed to Takadagawa Heya (former Ozeki Maenoyama) who was himself expelled from Takasago Ichimon in a dispute related to the Directors Election six years ago. Takadagawa oyakata indicated once the paper work is done,

Sendagawa oyakata will be welcomed at his heya. As the transfer request has been accepted by Rijicho, Sendagawa oyakata will belong to Takadagawa Heya starting this Kyushu Basho.

However an oyakata with Nishonozeki Ichimon in which Takanohana Beya belongs is complaining, "There was no discussion with us nor permission was asked. This is all stemming from two people having problems with each other and we are losing a Toshiyori from the Ichimon. It's rather a selfish act."

(The Mainichi Shimbun September 24, 2004)

An update:

It's now been reported that Chair of the Kyokai. Kitanoumi oyakata has accepted the transfer request from Sendagawa oyakata (former sekiwake Akinoshima).

Ok, now I really don't undertsand. If Rijicho can accept transfers in the name of refusing Oyakatas, what was the fuss about in the first place? So, if I understand correctly, Sendagawa will move now, without Takanohana's written or verbal or whatever permission.

I don't get it.

Perhaps it is something like the casting vote? You don't use it unless it is absolutely necessary. The rijicho might have been giving them a chance to sort it out amongst themselves, and perhaps in the wider ichimon. With things reaching an impasse he has to invoke his powers to agree to the swap himself rather than having Takanohana giving it his OK.

"It's not a matter for the Kyokai directors to approve. Basically it should be agreed upon by the parties. I asked Sendagawa oyakata to deal with Futagoyama and Takanohana

oyakatas in a friendly term," Kitanoumi oyakata explained the reason for his acceptance.

OK, then I don't get this part- if he wants them to settle this between themselves, and it's not the Kyokai's affair, why is he interfering?

Edited by Kintamayama

I'm really happy for both Sendagawa and Takanohana that this thing is over now. Sendagawa can pass on his knowledge to a new generation (maybe he makes Maenoyu the first "renegeade sekitori"!), and Takanohana hasn't lost neither his face completely not Fujishima-kabu at all. Yet, the Yokozuna should have been wiser and put his signature under that paper! And end with horror is always better than horror without an end.

Seems now like Takadagawa becomes an own, renegade ichimon. I hoped that the kabu would return to Takasago in six years. But now... Maybe we'll see Kumagatani-oyakata joining it some months. An Asashoryu-oyakata joining it in ten years... (Punk rocker...)

And I really wonder about the Nishonoseki-er's comment on the kabu leaving the ichimon: Everything goes on mutual agreement. Everything is discussed until no one is interested in it any more. Maybe even the hair-do of some oyakata is the result of consultaions. But they weren't able to "interfere" (the Japanese way ;-)) into that?!? Why haven't they suppoerted the transfer to Hanakago as intended first?

Edited by Tamanaogijima

OK, all is clear now. Sendagawa Oyakata obtained FUTAGOYAMA Oyakata's signature. So a signature is needed after all.. Rijicho:"Futagoyama Oyakata is shisho to both (Takanohana and Sendagawa) so that is important", meaning it lends that signature all the credibility it needs, I guess. Probably after yesterday's scene, Futagoyama was asked to intervene to avoid this issue from getting dragged through the mud, which, it seems, he quickly did, unhealthy as he is.

Finally, case closed.

Edit: And now, the question is how Takanohana will react to his father's intervention.

Edited by Kintamayama

And now, the question is how Takanohana will react  to his father's intervention.

Sulk. :-S He's very good at sulking, You know?

And now, the question is how Takanohana will react

Here are some comments from main characters (I believe Futagoyama oyakata is still kyujo, so there is none from him).

Takanohana oyakata

------------------

"Committing a despicable act like that in the Shimpan room during a basho, that is something that never should be conducted by man who had ever stepped on the dohyo. It should never be morally permitted. I take my position to be rectifying such matters. I want him to reflect on his actions more seriously than ever before."

Kitanoumi oyakata

-----------------

"As a Shisho to both (Takanohana and Sendagawa oyakatas) and intermediary, I trust Futagoyama oyakata mediate this issue fully."

Takanohana oyakata

------------------------

(Being told that the Rijicho has accepted the transfer request from Sendagawa oyakata after obtaining Futagoyama oyakata's stamp of approval.)

"Is that so? I have not agreed on it till the end and subsequently did not provide my stamp. So the facts still remain the same. All it means is that now Futagoyama oyakata who gave the permission and the Kyokai should deal with this matter responsibly."

Sendagawa oyakata

------------------------

"I wish to learn under an oyakata I can respect. To be honest I'd really like to have received the permission from Takanohana oyakata. Yesterday Futagoyama oyakata who is my shisho provided me an opportunity to see him and speak to him personally."

Sendagawa Oyakata (former Akinoshima) has now officially moved from Takanohana-beya to Takadagawa -beya. He may inherit the beya in 5 years time, when the current Takadagawa Oyakata reaches the mandatory retirement age. My speculation entirely.

Edited by Kintamayama

He may inherit the beya in 5 years time, when the current Takadagawa Oyakata reaches the mandatory retirement age. My speculation entirely.

You may be onto something there.

I just checked the Takadagawa roster and they have 20 rikishis including Makushita 15 Dairaido who had a 4 wins and 3 losses record and should move up higher.

As they don't have any supporting oyakata (only a Wakamonogashia Zenshinyama, former Juryo 2) until now and Takadagawa oyakata being a Kyokai executive equivalent rank, Sendagawa oyakata can keep himself pretty busy as I imagine Takadagawa oyakata should be pretty much occupied with Kyokai work mostly.

So the two renegades making a rather odd couple but in a time they may grow to share the same values and teaching philosophy.

If not, I guess, Sendagawa oyakata can always go ask Alice.

Well.... thought it was over... but I was wrong. Here's the update.

Shukan Gendai ( Oct 23rd issue ) had an exclusive 90 minute interview of

Takanohana. "I will tell you everything about this ugly feud now that

Akinoshima has left my heya and is not my ani-deshi or my stable Oyakata

any more whom I should cover for. I believed keeping my mouth shut

was protecting my own heya's honor which I inherited from my master, but

now I don't have to stick to that any longer".

I wish I were Kintamayama or Hananotaka or Jonosuke to translate this

whole article beautifully, but I am not.. :-O so just a gist of the

article.

Sorry for my sloppy writing.

Basically Takanohana discloses how mean and nasty Akinoshima has

always been, what a dishonest person he really is. Akinoshima started

picking on him and his brother ever since they joined professional Sumo.

Akinoshima never got his own hands dirty but made his younger tsukebito

do unimaginably sly tricks on them so they couldn't do keiko properly.

Not just beating or hitting, but nerve-wracking types of bullying,

according to Takanohana, who also assumes that Aki did it because

he was jealous of how Taka&Waka were sprinting up the banzuke.

Akinoshima was Futagoyama's first deshi and first sekitori after 7 years

of building up the new heya, so everyone in the heya treated Aki very

nicely. However, Aki later started revealing his true character

-betraying himself by bullying Taka&Waka with dirty tactics, and it

shocked Okamisan too, to make her say finally, "I will never let him

stay in this ( Ozumo ) world ( after his retirement )". Futagoyama also

said in anger, "I'll fire him for sure ( after his retirement )". Waka

joined Okamisan saying, "We will never forgive Akinoshima"

But Takanohana decided when he became Yokozuna, to forgive and forget

about the past, because he thought that Aki's great contribution to the

heya deserved a big credit after all.

But Akinoshima, again, played the unforgivable traitor concerning

getting a toshiyori stock.

Taka says:

"All this trouble started 3-4 years ago. Akinoshima was trying to get

one ( not-Fujishima ) stock back then, beneath the surface. But he found

he couldn't collect enough money and came to see me one day,

roundaboutedly asking for money. So I told Akinoshima, "Then what about

requesting the Fujishima stock? Futagoyama-beya now has the Fujishima

stock available -so I'll come with you to Oyakata and ask him to arrange

things so you can own it eventually.." - and I really did, for I

wanted to do something nice for my ani-deshi. I said to Oyakata,

"Aki-zeki is your first deshi - so now I want to put everything he did

in the past behind and help him out. Could you underquote the Fujishima

stock so he can get it?" Oyakata said, "All right, if you are sure

that is what you want". And I thought everything was in order.

"But Aki-zeki started to 'broadcast' all around the Kyokai how his

master favored him over Takanonami in getting the toshiyori stock [

note:Takanonami had gotten one himself when the price was soaring-high

],and how stupid Takanonami was to lose so much money. How

could you call your mate stupid? How could you go around telling

everyone your silly illusion of being favored by Master? -- I decided

then that I would never compromise with him. I went up to

Takanonami-zeki and apologized for the embarrassing commotion. He

understood me very well and kindly accepted my apology.

"When Akinoshima retired in 2003, Master ( Futagoyama ) rented out the

Fujishima stock to Akinoshima in order to hold his Intai-zumo under

the heya's sponsorship. Otherwise Akinoshima would have had to do his

Intai-zumo all at his own responsibility ( which would be hellishly

expensive! ). You wouldn't be able to collect enough audience if you'd

promote your Intai-zumo on your own.. so, though reluctantly, I decided

to overlook Akinoshima's borrowing the Fujishima stock, and I even

gave him the whole supporters' list of Futagoyama-Takanohana beya so

he could use it and get a certain number of people...He never returned

the list to me, or paid a visit afterwards. Well.. I knew what a man

he was, but still, it was very disappointing to actually see this .

"The media criticized me for failing to attend his Danpatsu-Ceremony,

but that was my message to Akinoshima. I wanted to say, 'Shame on you

Akinoshima. Do you still claim you're a rikishi of honor??'..

The very next day I learned that he gained this 'Sendagawa stock'.

I was shocked ....I knew one Kasugano-beya rikishi who almost managed to

get that Sendagawa stock.. Akinoshima stole the stock that informally

belonged to someone else already. That was another thing I would never

forgive him for.

"The media also made a fuss about my father and I -

that our relationship was destroyed, that he banned me from visiting his

hospital room, etc.. but this is not true. I visit him now and then..

but I would be hurt really bad if Akinoshima deceived my

father with nice words and put him on his side, and started scattering

such words of delusion and folly. I will never accuse my Master. Ever,

even if he spoke bad about me ( because of Akinoshima )..

I believe I'm protecting my father, my master, and I believe I'm the

only one after all, that can protect his life too. Akinoshima knows that

( I will never go against my father), and he thinks Oyakata is on his

side, so he believes he has control over me. That's

the man he is.

Akinoshima was previously interviewed by Shukan Gendai:

"I don't think there's a problem any longer with my relationship with

Takanohana Oyakata. I understand everything is settled now.

My master is Futagoyama Oyakata, who took good care of me

for 22 years. Takanohana Oyakata is his son and I've been getting

along with him as a stablemate. He is younger than me and joined

Ozumo 6 years later than me, but he became a great yokozuna and

I truly think he's a great man. Bullying? I was already in Makuuchi

when he joined. There was no time to be bothered with

bullying a shindeshi. Makuuchi rikishi bullies a shindeshi? No way,

that would happen between 2-3 year-older stablemates and shindeshi.

I made young boys pick on them? Absolutely nonsense. I am not

that type."

Then Takanohana responds:

"So he thinks I am a great man and he called me 'Omae' in front of

the Kyokai executives... What he should ( could ) do is just show his

remorse and honest reflection, but I know that's the last thing

Akinoshima would do actually. I have kept silent as I believed he was

part of us and I should cover his faults. But I changed my mind -now I'm

openly telling everyone the truth so they can see what's really

happening. Lies will be revealed. Nothing can defeat the truth. I

believe in that.

Shukan Gendai ( Oct 23rd issue ) had an exclusive 90 minute interview of

Takanohana. "I will tell you everything about this ugly feud now that

Akinoshima has left my heya and is not my ani-deshi or my stable Oyakata

any more whom I should cover for.

Thank you Amanogawa for this rather ugly outburst from Takanohana.

I am beginning to think the only normal person in that family was and still is "Onee chan", Wakanohana III.

Takanohana is talking to Shukan Gendai, a close cousin of Shukan Post which had his mother a while back. I have no idea what's going on with that family.

I think Takanohana is just tarnishing his once great reputation by saying things like this to another trash magazine. What he is trying to gain from this I have no ieda.

Why is he bringing up the early days of their joining heya? It has nothing to do with the current transfer. Akinoshima has left his heya and he has nothing to do with him anymore so let it be.

Right after Akinoshima coming to see him to get his signature, Takanohana expressed an implied threat to Akinoshima that he would do everything in his power to stop him from advancing his career with the Kyokai.

Hating and despising someone is one thing but trying to destroy his career and pursuit of happiness is entirely another.

It may well be true that he got brainwashed by a certain therapist while he was still a Yokozuna.

I am totally disgusted. (Sign of disapproval) (Bleh!)

Edited by Jonosuke

Many thanks, Amanogawa! ;-)

I would love to hear Takanonami's side of the story. ;-)

As a big Akinoshima fan I just wanna throw my full support behind him in this battle and hope he makes a big success out of his new beya.

I never have liked Takanohanas attitude from the first time I saw him fight,I remember very clearly thinking "Now theres a guy so full of his own importance."

"Understanding is a three edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." (Kosh Naranek)

I'll put my opinion above on ice. And will wait for the truth to speak out.

Shouldn't say this and won't bring it all up again bar to say - can some of you lads here around a year ago NOW, FINALLLLLLLLLY understand why I rated, and said many Japanese I know do the same, Wakanohana as the better Yokozuna? ;-)

As Shiroikuma has been saying recently - sumodou is a major factor, the most important factor? in this sport.

Time has told. ;-)

Edited by Adachinoryu

...Takanohana. "I will tell you everything about this ugly feud now that

Akinoshima has left my heya and is not my ani-deshi or my stable Oyakata any more whom I should cover for. I believed keeping my mouth shut was protecting my own heya's honor which I inherited from my master, but now I don't have to stick to that any longer"...

Honour is something you either live by or don't (IMHO); it's not something you can use and discard at your convenience. The former Akinoshima's departure from Futagoyama stable is no excuse for Takanohana oyakata to suddenly stop acting with honour....

This interview reeks of revenge...

;-) I don't know what side to take, and I don't care to... It's just so sad and depressing... it gives me the same unwell feeling in the gut as Ake's move to K1 did. I used to respect Takanohana and Akebono once, two great yokozuna. :'-( What a piful epitaph for Ake-Taka era.

Members with longer memories (and access to Japanese press): this kind of thing happens regularly, right? It was just my lack of media exposure that formed all those idealistic images of yokozuna and Ozumo in general... ;-)

Edit: Adachi, I understood what you meant then... I think I already said in that topic I consider Waka a better man than his li'l brother - but not a better yokozuna. I boldly predict that, unless he cuts his mage and joins the circus in next six months, Asashoryu will be considered a great yokozuna, despite of all his bad press...

Edited by Manekineko

Well, Asashoryu is not that dirty after all.

(Little too much sake and some broken glass and mirrors...... nothing to compare with dirty minds.)

Maybe then you should try to silently block his every move, because you know that will be for the good of the Kyoukai, for the good of sumou? So you would block him in everything, taking criticism quietly, without a word, looking like the ungrown up demon yourself.

In essence what Taka did.

A point well taken but as you suggested initially, nothing gets resolved by dribbling all this in a trash weekly for "Oyajis" (the bulk of Shukan Gendai and Post subsribers are middle aged salarymen, not Adachi san or Amanogawa san on this Forum).

Takanohana was a breed apart plainly obvious to anyone around him even when he just joined his father's heya at the age of 15. His dedication and devotion to sumo and the way of sumo were unsurpassed by anyone including his older brother who joined at the same time.

This can become a series so before I start with the beginning, I will just say that there are certain events shaped the man who he is now. I think in my mind there are four

1. Futagoyama oyakata's income tax problems - not declaring incomes he got from his supporters to buy a Toshiyori share infuriated his son who was totally devoted to his father and had a great respect up to that time. To a virtous Takanohana, it was unthinkable to have his father being investigated by the National Tax Revenue office and their agents searching through their home.

2. Rie Miyazawa Affair - obviously this was something Takanohana took very very personally. Their relationship and possibly engagement and marriage were put to stop by the oyakata and his wife (Rie's mother also had a lot to do with it as her insistence that her daughter would continue with her career in entertainment field after the marriage).

3. Separation and eventual divorce of his parents - it's difficult enough that your parents are having problems but in his case, it was his oyakata whom he still had a great deal of respect and hearing nasty stories from his mother was a bit too much. As well his mother's well publicized extra marital affair did not help him psychologically.

4. Wakanohana - Seeing his own brother not putting as dedicated efforts as he has been as a yokozuna and his severing relationship with Wakanohana and his oyakata over his criticism of Wakanohana (since restored somewhat but still rather strained).

In every one of these events Takanohana suffered hordes of TV crews and media writers camping outside his heya waiting to get his reaction and he soon developed intense dislike of the media in general.

But throughout all these events, it was his Sumoudo, his unwavering commitment to it that kept him through. Takanohana was obesessed by it. He breathed Sumo and he lived for Sumo 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. To him nothing less would have done. And his insistence of not yielding at all as far as the Sumoudou (at least his belief of it) was concerned. And that got him in troubles on the all points I listed above eventually.

And I believe so it was with Akinoshima. It may have stemmed from a simple difference in their view of sumo. Akinoshima was also an intense individual unlike his brother or Takanonami who was more accomodating.

Takanohana absolutely detests those whom he sees as not following the right path of Sumodou and that is especially true for someone who belonged to his heya. This was absolute no ifs and buts. There was no way he could ever forgive Akinoshima unless he repented the sin and got down on his knees asking for mercy.

But as a former Yokozuna he will need to show the grace and offer a hand of reconcillation for the good of Ozumo. It does not make him a lesser man but will make his legacy more dignified.

Edited by Jonosuke