Yubinhaad

Azumazeki-oyakata has died

Furiwake is taking over. Wow. He will take over the Azumazeki name and the heya will continue to live.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Muhomatsu said:

I thought the future of Azumazeki was supposed to be announced today.  It may have been postponed (or fell through the cracks) due to Goeido's announcement.

Furiwake will change name to Azumazeki and become the shisho - the rijikai tomorrow has to acknowledge it https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202001290000491.html

• Like 1

I'm flabbergasted. I wish him all the best! Robocop becoming a shisho, who'd have expected that? Quite a Cinderella story :)

There go the Furikake endorsements...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was hoping it would happen but I am surprised. Congratulations to the new Azumazeki!(Crowned...)

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Furiwake will change name to Azumazeki and become the shisho

How does that work financially?  I assume the kabu may have different amounts of money associated with them.  If ex-Takamisakari is Azumazeki now, does he put up his previous name up as partial payment?

10 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

How does that work financially?  I assume the kabu may have different amounts of money associated with them.  If ex-Takamisakari is Azumazeki now, does he put up his previous name up as partial payment?

A kabu is a kabu - it can no longer be sold in one sum, the transfer is honored by consultant fees for the previous owner as installment payment, and in a switch of kabu this is moot - the money value is in the heya. The family owned the Azumazeki kabu, so I guess they now have the right to the Furiwake one. They still own something of the heya premises AFAIK - what kind of arrangements they have with the new Azumazeki will remain undisclosed. There is no one he could pay a consultant fee to now, so he is paying for the use of the heya premises.

the new man talking to the press today

b_13075375.jpgoEPgzukYUwAA1BGq.jpg:thumbo202001300000476-w200_0.jpgo 4.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Do most heya own their premises?  I assumed that they all rented, but I don't know what the Japanese real estate market is like.

It could be a long-term rental agreement for Azumazeki-beya:

On 02/06/2016 at 06:41, Akinomaki said:
On 01/06/2016 at 08:33, Kintamayama said:

Azumazeki beya is planning to move next year from the current premises in Sumida-ku close to the KKan to Katsushika-ku, and I have no idea where that is other than that it is in Tokyo.. The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work. "Young guys are joining. I shall gambarize dutifully," said current Azumazeki. Famous graduates- Akebono and Takamisakari.

Apparently Katsushika ward worked to get them move there - as a tourist attraction, to have something more than Tora-san.

On 29/11/2018 at 17:25, Akinomaki said:

After Azumazeki-beya this year, Kokonoe-beya is the next heya that plans to move to Katsushika ward - for Aki 2020.

The oyakata sent a video message to the press conference at the ward office on the 22nd. The ward will rent to the heya a 510 sq-m area in Okudo 1chome, for 50 years starting next spring http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASLCQ5473LCQUTIL01X.html

Azumazeki-beya may have a similar contract with the ward.

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Do most heya own their premises?  I assumed that they all rented, but I don't know what the Japanese real estate market is like.

Right, often not the whole premises, just the building is owned by (the shisho of) the heya - especially in this case of a young oyakata, neither long time yokozuna nor ozeki. And also some buildings are just rented - but I don't think that's the majority. Anyway, it all depends on the amount of money the heya gets from the proper tanimachi in their koenkai - just a few sponsors are not enough. They basically buy the land for the heya - I still would estimate that about half of the heya own all of their premises.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

The government renting land on a 50 year contract sounds more like how it works in China, where the "rent" is really property taxes given that it's being paid to the government.  I mean I guess it could theoretically happen here in the US, with municipalities owning land and buildings and renting them out to people, but generally if there's any municipal-owned land, the municipality is using it.  The only rent received would be short-term things like renting a room in the library for a homeowner's association meeting; if they didn't intend to use it themselves for 50 years, they'd sell it.  At least that's how I understand things.

10 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

It could be a long-term rental agreement for Azumazeki-beya:

Azumazeki-beya may have a similar contract with the ward.

I'm guessing "lease" may be a more appropriate word than "rent" for these long-term arrangements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leasehold_estate

The equivalent German Wikipedia article indicates that it is (or at least was) a relatively common way for municipalities to support local not-for-profit organizations who may be able to afford constructing the buildings they plan to use, but not the land. Something similar may be at play here.

In my hometown, much of the land occupied by businesses and shopping centers is owned by the municipality which benefits from both lease payments and business taxes.  The city is flush with development cash.