Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Hatsu 2020

Juryo Terunofuji, sekitori again after  10 bashos, went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya. During suriashi when he dug in deep and put pressure on his knee  he was seen grimacing. "For now I'm doing everything I am able to do," he said. He did some light shiko being very careful, and then joined the lads. He faced Shoudai and Yutakayama and beat them both twice, showing that at least when he went chest to chest, he could win. Then he faced new Juryo Mongolian Kiribayama and Nishikigi as well. 9 bouts in all, 6-3. "I feel I'm getting better every day," he added. After the bouts he treated Kiribayama to some butsugari keiko. Now back again as a sekitori, he donned that white training mawashi again. "I've been breaking it in lately.. I don't want to go back to that black mawashi ever again so I threw it away.." he said. Before last basho's zensho yusho, he visited Tokitsukaze beya many times for training, and he intends to do so this time around as well. The problem is that they are going on a break from tomorrow. "I'll have to decide if I will continue the training at home or go elsewhere, " he added. Still, there are 17 days left to day 1 of Hatsu so he has enough time to listen to his body and be ready.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Drops  to Juryo  after 32 consecutive Makuuchi bashos - Ichinojou trained today at home against Sandanme and lower rikishi. 47 bouts, winning 46. He is coming off two injuries-first  the right shoulder, then the back. He has lost 24 kilos and it can be seen easily as he is looking rather slender, although everything is relative. He has cut 30 centimeters off his training mawashi, they say. "I've lost weight but I've lost muscle as well. I still don't feel confident when I lift my right hand ," he said. He was seen seriously doing repetitive fundamentals, but the atmosphere of anxiety is there. "He's a bit wary so his keiko quality has changed for sure. His feelings are moving his body," said Minato Oyakata. He still hasn't done any sumo against sekitori since his back went out at the end of September, but intends to go for degeiko in the coming days.

sum19122905020001-p1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Meisei injured his upper left arm muscle on December 28th during practice at his heya. "I was pushing really hard and suddenly heard a snap. it still hurts. I can finally bend it or stretch it now, though at first it was hard to even move my fingers.." he explained. He is being treated and is doing only light fundamentals at the moment. A week till the basho starts. "Probably," he answered when asked if he will be entering. "I am doing all I can towards that goal. At this juncture I need to rest my body,. I may have been overdoing it a bit, so I'd like to point myself in the right direction," he added. "This is an important year for me. Whatever happens, I would like to challenge my opponents till the end. I think it's going to be a good year!" he summed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Champion of the keiko-ba Mitakeumi, facing his first Maegashira stint in 17 bashos, was training at home today. 9 bouts, 4-5, losing to a Juryo guy, name not given..  "My body was heavy. I need to be able to move my body , but I obviously can't. I think my pushing power has weakened as well, so I need to rebuild my body. Still, every year around this time it's the same story for me," he said. He would like to return to Sanyaku very much and very soon. "I'm not nervous. I'm ranked where I get to meet the same top guys again as of late, not many new faces, so I'd like to show my strength!" he declared.

Facing Myougiryuu:

202001030000501-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Maegashira 6 Tochinoshin trained today at the Dewanoumi rengo keiko but dd not do any sumo. "I haven't done any sumo since I went kyujo (day 5 of the last basho). I should probably start against some Makushitans tomorrow.. My spirit has fallen, I guess.. I'd like to make each day count this year," he added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

New Sekiwake Asanoyama started training at home today. No sumo, just the fundamentals and chest-lending. " i will be experiencing a lot of ordeals every basho, even more than last year. I don't want to lose to the big 'walls' on the way up and move forward steadily.." he said. He intends to go for degeiko from tomorrow. "I'd like to change my mood and will be training seriously until day 1," he summed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Stop the press! Asanoyama went for degeiko to Tagonoura beya for the first time, and who do you think he faced? No, not him. Not him either. Araiso Oyakata. Ex-Kisenosato. Result? 1-16. Yup. "It was the first time the Yokozuna trained with me since he retired. This will be connected to my sumo life from here on!" he said. He was totally helpless against the ex-Yokozuna. Araiso was looking very happy with himself after the keiko, as Asanoyama was totally out of breath. "I do lose a lot when I get a right-hand grip , but losing without that (getting his grip broken time and again )  is rare for me.. It's regrettable.. During the bouts it felt like I was being told that 'this wasn't easy'. I still have a lot of  weak points I need to work on." he said.

202001050000262-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Sekiwake Takayasu has  been going for degeiko these last few days and today lent his chest to visiting "I just lost 1-16 to a retired Yokozuna" Asanoyama. "It looks like Asanoyama is just getting started. I would love to do some training with him," said Takayasu after watching him get demolished by Araiso Oyakata. He needs ten wins to get back to Ozeki.

Chest lendo keiko:

sum20010605010001-p1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Takayasu saves energy for honbasho?
No sparring even in the last week?

6 hours ago, Qwerry said:

Takayasu saves energy for honbasho?
No sparring even in the last week?

He was 3-3 at the YDC soken today.

• Thanks 1

If we ever needed definitive evidence that pre-basho keiko results mean absolutely bugger-all... ;)

• Thanks 1

How many more degeiko wins against sanyaku guys until Kisenosato unretirement rumours begin? :)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

How many more degeiko wins against sanyaku guys until Kisenosato unretirement rumours begin? :)

And they weren’t even wins against Takayasu!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

He is called the 2nd coming of Tochigiyama as strongest oyakata ever, with a possible repeat of winning the Aki rikishi championships 1 day tournament - Tochigiyama did that 6 years after retirement, specially permitted, at age 40, beating active yokozuna Tamanishiki and others  http://www.sanspo.com/etc/news/20200107/amk20010705000001-n1.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Asanoyama went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko. He usually goes to Tokitsukaze for training, but today was the first time before this basho. He faced Takayasu and Terunofuji (2-3). Then, Kakuryuu called him out for some training.  10 bouts, 0-10. Mostly beaten at the tachiai. "I can't get my right hand grip at all against the Yokozuna. I've got to be aware of my posture (kata). It's not easy to get results but it's important to face as many rikishi as I can. " he said. He was called out a lot by Terunofuji. "We use the same grip and he is an ex-Ozeki so he has  been able to do well at close quarters so I wanted to learn.." he said. "Come again tomorrow to Tokitsukaze!" called Terunofuji to him. "I shall!" he answered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Takayasu was at Tokitsukaze as well and was looking good. He faced Asanoyama and others for 18 bouts, winning 14. "It was really good..I was able to move a move at a time exactly as i had planned," he said. His power has mostly returned. He's still a bit rusty, but if he gets over that he's worth double digit wins," said Mainoumi, the TV commentator. As we know, he needs 10 wins to return to Ozeki. "I just want to be part of the yusho race," summed Takayasu.

202001070000536-w500_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

This time not with the rikishi-kai, but with the keiko soken: the pre-basho baby hug event for those who bought the right tickets - with the yokozuna, ozeki, sekiwake and 1 komusubi - no baby for A-babyi (ill?)

Not influenza (or had he just recovered?), Abi has injured his right foot, but the day after the soken (so he was there?): at degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya in a bout against Terunofuji, when he got abisetaoshi'd. Afterwards he was dragging his foot and went to a hospital to be checked - and he is absent from keiko today. https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202001080000252.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Takayasu went to the Nishonoseki rengo keiko today. He faced Tamawashi, Kotoshougiku and Ounoshou for 9 bouts, going 6-3. the he called on Takakeishou 10 bouts, 3-7, cursing out loud every time he lost. "I decided to enliven myself and do good sumo. I'm glad i managed to do so many bouts," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

More on Takayasu: "My sumo had some bad parts but if I look at the whole picture, I am satisfied. The Ozeki came out moving forward with guns blazing so I was able to go all out and hit as well. It was perfect," said Takayasu. "He was better than I imagined. He had a lot of bouts. It was a breakthrough for him," said Kitanofuji TV commentator. "He showed a lot of power. He was 3-7 and  Takakeishou is in great shape but you can't say Takayasu was bad," added the other commentator Mainoumi.

202001080000299-w500_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 05/01/2020 at 05:04, Kintamayama said:

Stop the press! Asanoyama went for degeiko to Tagonoura beya for the first time, and who do you think he faced. No, not him. Not him either. Araiso Oyakata. Ex-Kisenosato. Result? 1-16. Yup. "It was the first time the Yokozuna trained with me since he retired. This will be connected to my sumo life from here on!" he said. He was totally helpless against the ex-Yokozuna. Araiso was looking very happy with himself after the keiko, as Asanoyama was totally out of breath. "I do lose a lot when I get a right-hand grip , but losing without that (getting his grip broken time and again )  is rare for me.. It's regrettable.. During the bouts it felt like I was being told that 'this wasn't easy'. I still have a lot of  weak points I need to work on." he said.

202001050000262-w500_0.jpg

This is why i don't think Asanoyama is yokozuna material just yet, sure he's been performing well recently, but every ozeki has performed well (even Miyabiyama) doesn't mean he'll be a yokozuna, he has had dismal results when he trains with yokozuna (including the retired kisenosato)

do

On 05/01/2020 at 17:31, Kintamayama said:

Sekiwake Takayasu has  been going for degeiko these last few days and today lent his chest to visiting "I just lost 1-16 to a retired Yokozuna" Asanoyama. "It looks like Asanoyama is just getting started. I would love to do some training with him," said Takayasu after watching him get demolished by Araiso Oyakata. He needs ten wins to get back to Ozeki.

Chest lendo keiko:

sum20010605010001-p1.jpg

Who is the guy in the corner with all the chest hair and no topknot?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Enhou went for degeiko to Tomozuna beya. He faced Juryo Kyokutaisei and others for 12 bouts. He then proceeded to borrow the chest of Yokozuna  Hakuhou for 10 minutes. He also has his first commercial online, just FYI.

202001090000678-w500_0.jpg

Reminder of the commercial:

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Apparently injured Abi will be entering the basho, says Shikoroyama Oyakata (his shikona always makes me smile as "shikor" in Hebrew is a drunkard..). "He's OK. he can enter.." were his exact words. We shall see how that right ankle injury will affect his performance if he does enter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Enhou went for degeiko to Tomozuna beya. He faced Juryo Kyokutaisei and others for 12 bouts. He then proceeded to borrow the chest of Yokozuna  Hakuhou for 10 minutes. He also has his first commercial online, just FYI.

202001090000678-w500_0.jpg

Reminder of the commercial:

I read that as “commercial airline” at first and was astounded at how far the little guy has come in such a short time.