Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Hatsu 2020

Takayasu has started training at his heya today. Lower back? "Getting better," he said. He did some light shikos, he said. He will be taken off this list as soon as the new banzuke is out.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ozeki Goueidou is training hard to get back into shape on his 9th kadoban basho. He left last basho in the middle due to a left ankle injury and has not done any sumo since, only fundamentals. "The ankle bears the brunt of one's weight, so I have to prepare really carefully," he explained. It seems he is coming along fine and will be ready for Hatsu, I gather. Yesterday he trained at home, doing some butsugari and checking out his tachiai. The YDC soken is on January 6th. "I'll face the sekitori. I am training towards that goal," he announced. It's been three straight bashos where an Ozeki drops to Sekiwake, a first since the Showa era. "I feel the importance of my banzuke rank and would like to take the responsibility, is what i'm thinking.." he said. He has already been the first rikishi ever to get a zensho-yusho after returning from kadoban, so anything is possible.

sum19122805020001-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Hakuhou is done training this year. He trained at home with Enhou and Ishiura and is feeling good. "I'm in good shape and have a good feeling. If the basho started tomorrow, I wouldn't have  any problems.." he said. Visiting delegates of a gyuudon chain presented him with a free meal ticket to the chain. "An early New Year's gift.. This will help me gambarize for the Olympics!" he chortled.

Gyuudon, in case gyou don know what it is..

Gyudon-w600.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Hakuhou and Enhou training  

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Curious that Hakuho’s heya training partners are two of the lightest men in makuuchi - not really representative of most of the opponents he will face. 

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Curious that Hakuho’s heya training partners are two of the lightest men in makuuchi - not really representative of most of the opponents he will face. 

I'm sure that Hakuho has other training partners who are closer to the weight of the average sekitori. He is also very fortunate to be able to train with two of the quickest rikishis around. They present problems that most rikishis never encounter in training. I believe that working out with these extremely mobile rikishis has been a huge benefit to him. Needless to say, the chance of steadily training with the greatest yokozuna of all time has helped the careers of both Ishiura and Enho trememendously. 

This is a win-win situation where everyone has come out ahead--way ahead.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

He usually follows the routine of banzuke announcement > train at home for a week with the boys > go for degeiko the second week, usually seeking out the guys that beat him in the prior tournament (looking at you., Daieishou..), or hosting rikishi who are brave enough to come for degeiko until three days before the basho, do a wind-down at home, rest the last two days and go. Throw in the occasional YDC soken/rengo keiko as well. So far he's pretty much sticking to his agenda. He will probably go for degeiko from around January 3rd -4th. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, ryafuji said:

He has his other uchi-deshi Toma, whom he's training to get to sekitori as well, heavier than Ichinojo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kadoban Ozeki Goueidou, coming off a left foot joint ligament  injury, started training today at Dewanoumi beya. He faced three Juryo rikishi, checking out his tachiai and lending his chest for some butsugari as well. "I'm pretty much able to plant my leg well. I think I will be ready for the basho," he said. Nine days left till the basho. "Not much time left.. I'd like to start doing sumo tomorrow or the day after.I'd like to go for degeiko, my condition willing. I have been kadoban before and am a bit tense but I intend to concentrate on my own sumo day by day, tension notwithstanding, " he said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I have been kadoban before

A slight understatement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Takakeishou is revving up the engines. He did sumo for the first time against some Makushita rikishi from the heya. 10 bouts, won them all. His first step was looking sharp and he was very quick, turning his opponents around a lot. Some bouts were over in a second - in short, he was showing all kinds of stuff. 

202001040000473-w500_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Yokozuna Kakuryuu went for degeiko at Tokitsukaze beya. 21 bouts, 17-4. He faced Hokutofuji (9-4) and beat Shoudai and Azumaryuu in the rest of the bouts.. "My goal for this year is to participate in all bashos. I will concentrate on keeping in shape and doing good keiko," he vowed. He was winning some quickly, and losing some after pulling. "When my tachiai isn't good, I resort to pulling. I'd like to fix that," he said. He was ill at the end of the year and could not prepare properly, losing weight in the process. Now he has regained some of that weight. I"ll be OK as long as I can eat well," he added. He will be 35 years old in August. "It's not like I have 5 more years of sumo in me. I just want to face each basho at a time with no regrets, " he summed.

With Azumaryuu:
osvrsI8xYhEa4EOcvCJ7FokgDZv-YqkTuA-u2CUxosdBWbChAqeQndQZQFct8a03XmCCzAEdr5sJ4Gp155nVg6k-yUpbBMTpvWaxvoRvTZMZKAwjudjgfEg=w5000-h5000
Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kakuryuu was looking good at Tokitsukaze beya today, beating Asanoyama 10-0. What we didn't know is that he was suffering from a fever . "I wanted to do more keiko today but I have a fever. Yesterday I went for an IV treatment.It was about 38.5 centigrade. It wasn't the flu," he explained. In the afternoon he did a special dohyo-iri with Hakuhou at the Meiji Jingu Shrine, where it was raining so the ceremony was held indoors. 200 fans showed up to watch. New Makuuchi Mongolian Kiribayama was his tsuyuharai for the first time and will continue to do the duty during the basho, it appears. "It felt good," he said.

And they show Shoudai the tachimochi..

202001070000647-w500_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Hakuhou  was present at the Tokitsukaze beya keiko today. 17 bouts against Shoudai and newcomer Kiribayama, won them all. "I've been kyujo after starting the last two January bashos., I want revenge!" he declared. H was looking quick and powerful today. At the end of the day, he lent his chest to ex-Asashouryuu's nephew Houshouryuu. Ooooohhh..(Ayokozuna...)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Kakuryuu came to Tokitsukaze for degeiko as well today. He faced Hokutofuji for 13 bouts, winning 9. Some bouts he was seen beaten by his opponent's low tachiai and getting pushed out decisively. "I wanted to see what happens when my body becomes high.." he explained. He has mostly gotten over his cold but he still isn't 100%. "It's been a while since I attended all 6 yearly bashos. I want to do it this time," he said, again.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Kakuryuu came to Tokitsukaze for degeiko as well today. He faced Hokutofuji for 13 bouts, winning 9. Some bouts he was seen beaten by his opponent's low tachiai and getting pushed out decisively. "I wanted to see what happens when my body becomes high.." he explained. He has mostly gotten over his cold but he still isn't 100%. "It's been a while since I attended all 6 yearly bashos. I want to do it this time," he said, again.

I always appreciate Kintamayama's commentary, especially the rikishi quotes.  Always informative but with the characteristic touch of snark.  I don't know whether to react with a "Like", "Thanks", or "Ha Ha".

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

What do the YDC say about a Yokozuna spreading a virus around so everyone else gets sick just in time for the basho? Tut tut. Hakuho’s kachiage gets all the attention but it’s Kakuryu leaving potentially the bigger body count.

Edited by Eikokurai

48 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

What do the YDC say about a Yokozuna spreading a virus around so everyone else gets sick just in time for the basho? Tut tut. Hakuho’s kachiage gets all the attention but it’s Kakuryu leaving potentially the bigger body count.

It’s a cold..

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It’s a cold..

aka rhinovirus, and it is debilitating, if not exactly deadly.

Edited by RabidJohn

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It’s a cold..

Have you never had a cold? I wouldn’t like to fight a bout with my head swimming, eyes running and my reactions slowed, not to mention the weakness in my limbs and joints. 

That said, Kakuryu reports a fever which suggests something more than the common cold.

Edited by Eikokurai

13 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

aka rhinovirus, and it is debilitating, if not exactly deadly.

Is every cold a rhinovirus? I think not. Not every cold is catching, although you do catch a cold. No?

Reading between the lines, I'm not sure how healthy Kakuryuu is, if at all.. He is sounding increasingly like pre-retirement hesitant Kisenosato. "Of course I will be entering. The rest is about taking care of my physical condition and entering day 1 in good shape. I'd like to have a good start this new year. I'm not in perfect shape, but I'm good. I'm not sure if the keiko was enough or not - we'll see that according to my results," he said. He had a fever lately and generally was quite subdued in his interviews, not to say laconic (OK, more than usual..). today he was at Tokitsukaze  beya and only did the fundamentals on the last day of keiko. I see dark clouds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3