Sign in to follow this  
Pandaazuma

Metasumo 2020

It's time to start collecting entries for Metasumo 2020. In this simple game, you choose the GAMERS you think will score the most in the Superbanzuke Masters series.

Go to this link and choose ONE player from each of the categories below:

1-5

6-10

11-20

21-40

41-80

81-120

121-200

201+

for a total of eight players. If you would like to choose one of the many recent promising new players WHO ARE NOT listed in the 2019 final standings, please place them in the 201+ category.

Please post your picks in this thread. The deadline is shonichi of the Hatsu Basho 2019.

The winner gets to be Fujisan's red hot date at the prom. The person who comes last will be forced to negotiate new pre-basho entry deadlines with Akinomaki to ensure that all players must enter several hours early, potentially missing a catastrophic late withdrawal, in order that they not inconvenience him personally by interrupting his shonichi lower-division sumo viewing for 5 minutes every ten basho or so. ;-)

Good luck!

Edited by Pandaazuma
  • Like 1

My picks:

1-5 Pandaazuma (As always, I need to motivate myself, especially now that sumo is so poor and unpredictable)

6-10 ScreechingOwl (A championship run for the Owl is inevitable at some point)

11-20 Susanoo (He had a quiet 2019. Not expecting the same next year)

21-40 Flohru (Same comments as Susanoo)

41-80 Athenayama (Enormous potential, and I expect top ten from him in 2020)

81-120 Kishikaisei (I like the way this player picks)

121-200 Kaiomitsuki (What on earth is a player of this calibre doing in this category?)

201+ Ruziklao (One of the few names I recognised)

Don't let me down, lads!

Wow @Pandaazuma you really put a lot of pressure on me ! Of course if I have bad scores next year the first disappointed would be me! I hope to be worthy of this trust.

One genuine question though. Shouldn't the deadline be before the GTB results are out for Hatsu 2020? Ok, probably just one game will not change the standings of a whole year but as the last competition was so close maybe it could afterall. I'm not requesting to change anything, just curious for your opinion.

Edited by Athenayama
aa

8 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

121-200 Kaiomitsuki (What on earth is a player of this calibre doing in this category?)

AFAIK Kaiomitsuki went intai in (almost?) all games.

My ballot:
Pandaazuma
ScreechingOwl
Susanoo
Flohru
Athenayama
Oortael
shimodahito
Ruziklao (although I'd rather go with Motörfuji B-))

Edited by Jakusotsu
typo
  • Thanks 1

1-5 - Pandaazuma

6-10 - ScreechingOwl

11-20 - Gurowake

21-40 - Bill

41-80 - Tenshinhan

81-120 - Suwihuto

121-200 - Takanorappa

201+ - Domichi

1 hour ago, Athenayama said:

Wow @Pandaazuma you really put a lot of pressure on me ! Of course if I have bad scores next year the first disappointed would be me! I hope to be worthy of this trust.

One genuine question though. Shouldn't the deadline be before the GTB results are out for Hatsu 2020? Ok, probably just one game will not change the standings of a whole year but as the last competition was so close maybe it could afterall. I'm not requesting to change anything, just curious for your opinion.

I have every confidence in you!

As for the deadline, it is just a fun game and we don't take it so seriously. If I set the deadline so early, we would probably get only half the players. So...I decided to make it shonichi. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

As for the deadline, it is just a fun game and we don't take it so seriously. If I set the deadline so early, we would probably get only half the players. So...I decided to make it shonichi. ;)

That's what I figured. Fair enough and completely acceptable explanation.  All the games here, besides the SB, are interesting though, it's a shame there aren't more players. Isn't there any way to advertise them ? I would never have found them if I didn't come on this forum. I mean some fantasy games have regularly over  a 100 players. Maybe many of them don't know about the games played here and would have fun joining?

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm just wondering.

6 minutes ago, Athenayama said:

That's what I figured. Fair enough and completely acceptable explanation.  All the games here, besides the SB, are interesting though, it's a shame there aren't more players. Isn't there any way to advertise them ? I would never have found them if I didn't come on this forum. I mean some fantasy games have regularly over  a 100 players. Maybe many of them don't know about the games played here and would have fun joining?

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm just wondering.

The SB being a properly organised operation definitely deserves more exposure, as it is a great way of enhancing the enjoyment of sumo, forcing players to learn more about even the lower divisions and rikishi beyond their usual faves. I introduce people when I can and I have advertised it over at Tachiai once or twice but obviously there is no concerted effort to bring in more players. I think Moti had quite a bit of success bringing in new ISP players but the simplicity of that game will partially explain its popularity. John Gunning has mentioned the SB once or twice in the Japan Times but that also didn't seem to bring in many punters, partly I guess because no link to the SB page was provided. It would be great to have more players for sure.

Only when I tried to hastily reassemble the SB front page did I understand how many times it has been rehosted before. This creates a lot of dead backlinks which maybe there's not much you can do about it. I would say this might confuse some prospective game players.

Adding into to this the game machine only wakes up right before a basho.

Some of the games probably are some of the oldest ongoing organized internet events still operating honestly which is pretty impressive.

Modernizing the games would take a gargantuan thankless effort and I propose no solution except that I would fund some effort if I ever hit the lottery...

3 chishafuwaku (obviously could not choose such a weak player like Pandaazuma here) (Neener,neener...)

9 Golynohana

19 Kobashi

21 Choshu-yuki

62 Asapedroryu

96 Kishikaisei

124 Takanorappa

251 Korinokoishi

1-5 Pandaazuma 

6-10 Golynohana

11-20 Gurowake

21-40 Flohru

41-80 Oshirokita

81-120 Oortael

121-200 Kyodaitimu

201+ Ruziklao

1-5 - Pandaazuma (our own Hakuho - he should really be in his own category)

6-10 - Andoreasu (always a top performer; for whatever it's worth, I will never select myself)

11-20 - Gurowake (all number based systems will be challenged during the changing of the guard, but few know more)

21-40 - Unkonoyama (our own international man of mystery)

41-80 - Athenayama (like Unko, clearly on his way up)

81-120 - Achiyama (one of the better angels of our sumo nature)

121-200 - Kaiomitsuki (could easily move up more than one hundred spots)

201+ - Domichi (still learning the ropes; I anticipate major upward movement next year)

16 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

I think Moti had quite a bit of success bringing in new ISP players but the simplicity of that game will partially explain its popularity. 

And also the fact that I advertised it on my videos that once reached tens of thousands each day.. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

And also the fact that I advertised it on my videos that once reached tens of thousands each day.. 

Yup, I already said it many times and I'll repeat it once again. If I'm here it's thanks to you. It's in your youtube channel that I found out about everything here and I'll always be grateful for that.  :-)

Edited by Athenayama
correction
  • Like 2

I will be grateful not to finish last for my first participation to Metasumo, so please to those who have not submitted yet, make the wrong choices!

1-5  1 Pandaazuma (who else? But the other players are all very impressive)

6-10 10 ScreechingOwl (I think anybody from 6 to 10 is worth picking so I'll just go with my feeling)

11-20 15 Susanoo Listen to Gino Vannelli's song "Something Tells Me" That's how I picked. Well the key lyrics were "Cause each time I close my eyes I can see better, Call it faith or just a feeling, Something tells me to believe in you"...

21-40 25 Flohru (damn, really not easy to pick, so many good players here too)

41-80  42 Athenayama (same reason as many, I need to motivate myself! But many others should be in this spot)

81-120 92 Oortael (it was him or Kishikaisei but I flipped a coin and it went to the French guy...)

121-200  131 Hachi (It was him or Seki Haruaki, again the coin decided)

201+  222 Taxinohana

Edited by Athenayama
correction

15 hours ago, ScreechingOwl said:

81-120 - Achiyama (one of the better angels of our sumo nature)

@ScreechingOwl If I'm not mistaken Achiyama is ranked 52.
That's definitely not how I wish to avoid last position. (Laughing...)

Edited by Athenayama
addition
  • Like 1

1 –   5    Pandaazuma

6 –  10    Konosato

11 –  20   Taka

21 –  40    Flohru

41 –  80    Tenshinhan

81 – 120    Shatsume

121 – 200    Takanorappa

201 – End    Ruziklao

Number in parentheses is number on my weighted average points list over the last 5 years.  The only other criteria was that they played ISP last basho, which excluded Kaiomitsuki (32) and Senkoho (49) from consideration.  In the past I used to consider newer players for the last couple spots, but I don't have the desire to do that sort of research and would rather just play with numbers.

Pandaazuma (1)
ScreechingOwl (4)
Susanoo (3)
Flohru (12)
Kaiowaka (33)
Kishikaisei (40)
Takanorappa (59)
Ruziklao (65)

(I also considered Golynohana the same for this purpose as his previous incarnation, which is not true for the total numbers I posted in the Masters thread.  Even with that boost from his former self, he was last in his bracket.)

Edited by Gurowake

4 hours ago, Athenayama said:

@ScreechingOwl If I'm not mistaken Achiyama is ranked 52.
That's definitely not how I wish to avoid last position. (Laughing...)

Oops - evidently I have some arithmetic issues. I'll try again:

1-5 - Pandaazuma 

6-10 - Andoreasu 

11-20 - Gurowake 

21-40 - Unkonoyama

41-80 - Athenayama 

81-120 - Pitinosato

121-200 - Kaiomitsuki 

201+ - Domichi 

My 2020 attempt for the title:

1-5 Pandaazuma
6-10 Andoreasu
11-20 Asashosakari
21-40 Flohru
41-80 Athenayama
81-120 Mmikasazuma
121-200 Takanorappa
201+ Ruziklao

Wamahada

1-5 Pandaazuma

6-10 Golynohana

11-20 Gurowake

21-40 Flohru 

41-80 Athenayama 

81-120 Oortael 

121-200 Kaiomitsuki 

201+ Joaoiyama

2020 is the year i'm going to dedicate myself to all games on the superbanzuke after three years of catching the feeling of some games and improving my knowledge on the outcome of basho, bouts and careers, it's time to break through.

1 - 5  Pandaazuma (Going with my 2nd choice (Neener,neener...)  Under normal circumstances I would have picked myself but currently I'm not 100% sure whether I can participate in all 6 Basho in 2020)
6 - 10  Andoreasu (often underrated player, I'm sure he will end top 5 in 2020)
11 - 20  Susanoo (another serious candidate for the title in 2020)
21 - 40  Flohru (top performance over 15+ years, surely will better do in 2020)
41 - 80  Oskanohana (I'm glad to see such a strong player back in competition)
81 - 120  Oortael (looking very promising after his strong debut)
121 - 200  Takanorappa (can't believe a player like him can be picked in this category)
201+  Ruziklao  (obviously had a lousy gaming year in 2019, potential for 50+ SB points)

Ganzohnesushi

Edited by Ganzohnesushi

1-5 Pandaazuma

6-10 ScreechingOwl

11-20 Susanoo

21-40 Flohru

41-80 Athenayama

81-120 Oortael

121-200 Takanorappa

201+ Kaito

I want to jump in at the start of this year and compete for the overall win, but I must admit I'm a bit discouraged that new players aren't eligible for points in Sumo Game and Bench. It seems like even one dominant year of Sumo Game isn't enough to make Maegashira, so I'll have to wait 2 years before I can start a year without a disadvantage. Are those the only 2 games like that or am I missing others?

49 minutes ago, Kaito said:

1-5 Pandaazuma

6-10 ScreechingOwl

11-20 Susanoo

21-40 Flohru

41-80 Athenayama

81-120 Oortael

121-200 Takanorappa

201+ Kaito

I want to jump in at the start of this year and compete for the overall win, but I must admit I'm a bit discouraged that new players aren't eligible for points in Sumo Game and Bench. It seems like even one dominant year of Sumo Game isn't enough to make Maegashira, so I'll have to wait 2 years before I can start a year without a disadvantage. Are those the only 2 games like that or am I missing others?

Only those two games.

That used to be the rule for ALL the games but it was changed. It is impractical for those two because the players are not all grouped together so there is no way of measuring their relative performances.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kaito said:

On the other hand you can see these two games as a "career mode". The long and difficult path of a rikishi to the glory. I've been fighting for the past year and a half to climb the divisions in SG and I just started BS. It makes sense when the "older" players, some acting for over a decade, have earned that status. I can't describe my thrill when the time comes and I'll get my first points in these games!    

Edited by Athenayama
correction
  • Like 2